The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Mission Impossible: Fallout (7-27-18)
PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 2:15 am 
Rank This Poster

Getting excited! :heartbeat: Tom Cruise.

PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 2:19 am 
The Master

Gonna be a long wait for this 4K

PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 2:30 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i've heard at one point the DP scene in this almost got them an NC-17 rating

but so they shortened the c*mshot down to a 3-roper and were able to keep their PG-13

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 6:53 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:10 pm 
Rank This Poster

Watched American Made today. He mugged through the whole movie, but I can’t get mad at him. He’s like Keanu. We know what he is, and since one of those things is a guy who makes entertaining movies, the rest is forgiven.

PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:23 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

bune wrote:

This is one of the stand-out scenes from the trailer and I keep coming back to it for some reason.

Yeah for some reason this scene made me think he was the villain but subsequent trailers showed he was a good guy. I was a little disappointed.

PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:28 pm 
The Master

bada wrote:
bune wrote:

This is one of the stand-out scenes from the trailer and I keep coming back to it for some reason.

Yeah for some reason this scene made me think he was the villain but subsequent trailers showed he was a good guy. I was a little disappointed.

I'm sure that just like all the other MI movies, it will be Ethan and his crew VS the MI home base, until the third act when they join forces again against the real enemy.

PostPosted: Tue July 24, 2018 4:23 pm 
The worst

i do love that clip. ive never seen an MI movie in theaters. i may try for this one

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun July 29, 2018 5:17 am 
The Master

Loved this. Entire movie is perfectly executed expository dialogue working as the setup for the action sequences that follow. Probably pound-for-pound my favorite overall collection of action/tech set pieces in the whole series, a Hollywood machine firing on all cylinders.

Liked Cavill more than I thought I would, he's still a robotic actor but he works in this. Can't overtake MI3 as my favorite because Hoffman's villain is the best non-Ethan character this series will ever see, but is up there with MI and MI3 as top-tier. Can't wait to see it again, just for the stunt work.

PostPosted: Sun July 29, 2018 5:25 am 
The Master

bada wrote:
bune wrote:

This scene slayed, btw. One of the best fights in the entire series.

PostPosted: Sun July 29, 2018 3:50 pm 
Stone's Bitch

tragabigzanda wrote:
Loved this. Entire movie is perfectly executed expository dialogue working as the setup for the action sequences that follow. Probably pound-for-pound my favorite overall collection of action/tech set pieces in the whole series, a Hollywood machine firing on all cylinders.

Liked Cavill more than I thought I would, he's still a robotic actor but he works in this. Can't overtake MI3 as my favorite because Hoffman's villain is the best non-Ethan character this series will ever see, but is up there with MI and MI3 as top-tier. Can't wait to see it again, just for the stunt work.

you lost me at MI3, but yeah, this was incredible. almost TOO incredible, if that makes any sense. I couldn't really process all of it.

seeing it again today to rectify this.

PostPosted: Sun July 29, 2018 3:51 pm 
Stone's Bitch

and the toilet fight is so fucking great. actual stakes in a fight scene is so rare.

PostPosted: Sun July 29, 2018 5:03 pm 
The Master

that camera shot from inside the truck as it was filling with water so cool. motorcycle footage/choreography was also amazing, as was that bathroom scene and the helicopter stuff. i love that this one was a lot more practical/organic in its action pieces, and that they were all shot so well

PostPosted: Sun July 29, 2018 5:09 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Very much enjoyed this save for a few very clunky, overlong "let's sit around and explain the stakes to each other" scenes near the end. A very exciting and well executed movie otherwise

PostPosted: Sun July 29, 2018 5:26 pm 
The Master

theplatypus wrote:
Very much enjoyed this save for a few very clunky, overlong "let's sit around and explain the stakes to each other" scenes near the end. A very exciting and well executed movie otherwise

pretty sure the doctor/husband character was on the spectrum; he was so emotionally unaware of how uncomfortable the other two people were running into each other like this.

PostPosted: Sun July 29, 2018 7:53 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

eh. too many car chases.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sun July 29, 2018 7:56 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

tragabigzanda wrote:
bada wrote:
bune wrote:

did this fight make any sense though?

Spoiler: show
Like, why was he fighting his employee? or maybe he should have hired a decoy that wasn't a martial arts expert. I don't know, I wasn't paying too much attention.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sun July 29, 2018 10:36 pm 
Stone's Bitch

BurtReynolds wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
bada wrote:
bune wrote:

did this fight make any sense though?

Spoiler: show
Like, why was he fighting his employee? or maybe he should have hired a decoy that wasn't a martial arts expert. I don't know, I wasn't paying too much attention.

sounds like you were paying too much attention.

PostPosted: Sun July 29, 2018 10:39 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Saw it again!!
- Henry Cavill is quite good in this. Not a huge fan of his Superman but this made me realize it’s not his fault. Perfect foil for Cruise.
- reinforced my initial feeling that the toilet fight might be the best set piece of the movie. Totally outdoes Bourne at real life hand to hand combat in tight quarters. The stakes are very real. How often do you see two big action stars sidelined by shots to the throat and solar plexus? Had just the right amount of playful as well.
- the score is my favorite yet. I noticed what, to my ears, had to be an homage to The Firm score during the Cruise running through London scene. Piano flourishes that definitely tipped the cap to Dave Grusin.
- this owes a big debt to Nolan. Was getting heavy Dark Knight and Inception vibes during the Paris sequence.
- there were absolutely Indiana Jones references sprinkled throughout too. The Everyman hero who has seen everything and just finds a way to make it work. Cruise had a few of those weary I’m too tired for this shit looks that Harrison Ford initially perfected. In that regard it’s the only current series that has that sense of practical adventure and location filming that the Indy series had.
- the emotional through line really worked for me. Since these movies are always free floating I liked how they used Monaghan for connective tissue without compromising the Hunt character in the long term. Not easy to do.
- at the end of the day, McQuarrie took it as far as it would possibly go. Now would be the perfect time to reboot with a left field filmmaker and a new point of view. Like fuck it, hire Scorsese and let him do what he wants. The initial point of this series (and Cruise’s career) was to “trust the director” so return to that.

PostPosted: Sun July 29, 2018 11:51 pm 
The Master

evenslow wrote:
Cruise had a few of those weary I’m too tired for this shit looks that Harrison Ford initially perfected. In that regard it’s the only current series that has that sense of practical adventure and location filming that the Indy series had.
- the emotional through line really worked for me. Since these movies are always free floating I liked how they used Monaghan for connective tissue without compromising the Hunt character in the long term. Not easy to do.

yeah man, i feel you

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment