Switch to full style
Books, movies, television...
Post a reply

Re: Ranking the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Sun February 25, 2018 3:20 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:Ragnarok will restore your faith I reckon.

Also.. Star Wars the last Jedi is coming on 4K LV. Lucky you.

I canceled my preorder of that as soon as I saw the movie, haha.

You *will* reorder it ~ :wave: ~

Sun February 25, 2018 3:46 pm

stip wrote:I've found of all of the MCU movies Age of Ultron does the best with rewatches in terms of picking up on themes, arcs, plot points it is easy to miss the first time through. It's just an overstuffed movie so some of it takes a while to sink in.

Civil War (technically phase 3) and Winter Soldier should both be re-watched because their awesome. Civil War is also a movie where the major story arc can be missed. In part because they insisted on using the Civil War name it's easy to see the movie as being primarily about that registration/oversight story. But that's really just a device to advance the central conflict, which is really about what the avengers/heroism means to Iron Man vs. Captain America, as well as the nature of their friendship. It's actually more of a character piece.

I’ll watch Daredevil S2 and S.H.I.E.L.D. S3 this week. I have then finished all of phase two. Might rewatch a couple of the movies after that, as well as check out Agent Carter, which is the only thing I haven’t seen from phase one.

Sun February 25, 2018 3:56 pm

Anders wrote:
wease wrote:
Anders wrote:I have seen all the movies.

So, did you pick up on what happened in each of the Phase 2 projects including AoS?

Well, I've seen the movies spread out over several years. Anything specific you think I should rewatch?

In every project within Phase 2, someone loses a hand. Feige is a huge Empire Strikes Back fan and this was his homage to it.

Sun February 25, 2018 4:04 pm

wease wrote:
Anders wrote:
wease wrote:
Anders wrote:I have seen all the movies.

So, did you pick up on what happened in each of the Phase 2 projects including AoS?

Well, I've seen the movies spread out over several years. Anything specific you think I should rewatch?

In every project within Phase 2, someone loses a hand. Feige is a huge Empire Strikes Back fan and this was his homage to it.

Haha, that's really cool.

Sun February 25, 2018 4:11 pm

in general the quality ups in phase 3. at that point Kevin Feige got control over the MCU and mo longer had everything filtered through a committee. you start seeing more of the filmmakers personality in the films

Sun February 25, 2018 4:16 pm

I just don't get LV's taste in movies :? . My list would probably be an inversion of his...if I made lists.

Sun February 25, 2018 4:46 pm

stip wrote:Civil War (technically phase 3) and Winter Soldier should both be re-watched because their awesome. Civil War is also a movie where the major story arc can be missed. In part because they insisted on using the Civil War name it's easy to see the movie as being primarily about that registration/oversight story. But that's really just a device to advance the central conflict, which is really about what the avengers/heroism means to Iron Man vs. Captain America, as well as the nature of their friendship. It's actually more of a character piece.

Civil War was called Civil War because there was a major storyline in the comics that was called that. This movie was loosely based on that storyline.

Sun February 25, 2018 4:48 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:Great:
Iron Man

This absolutely mystifies me. I mean, you’re exactly right, but I never in a million years would’ve thought you would like that one.

Sun February 25, 2018 9:09 pm

Watching iron man 2

I really like this movie. It’s way more engaging than most marvel films.

Mon February 26, 2018 3:46 pm

Hamill to Star in GOTG3?

Mon February 26, 2018 4:10 pm

That would be cool.

Mon February 26, 2018 4:17 pm

Anders wrote:That would be cool.

He seems serious about being unemployed. Ep 9 starts filming in July. Maybe force ghost Luke isn’t in it? Ah well.

Mon February 26, 2018 4:57 pm

that's a joke, Dime :)

Mon February 26, 2018 5:02 pm

stip wrote:that's a joke, Dime :)

What’s a joke?

Mon February 26, 2018 5:09 pm

dimejinky99 wrote:

What’s a joke?

Probably the unemployed line.

Mon February 26, 2018 5:11 pm

Anders wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

What’s a joke?

Probably the unemployed line.

Oh right. Went past me. Clearly.

Mon February 26, 2018 5:54 pm

Hasn't Mark Hamill been unemployed for the majority of his career?

Mon February 26, 2018 6:55 pm

^point

When Justin lee Collins made his bring back Star Wars episode ten or so years ago, Hamill wanted $20,000 just to sit down with him.

Collins when filming outside Carries house lucked out and she came out to collect her mail and she brought him in and did a whole huge interview with him free. Hilarious one too.

Mon February 26, 2018 7:03 pm

I’m watching Iron man 3 tonight. I seem to remember thinking it overlong and convoluted.
Really enjoyed rewatching 2 last night though. That’s the one nobody likes right?

Mon February 26, 2018 7:58 pm

dimejinky99 wrote:I’m watching Iron man 3 tonight. I seem to remember thinking it overlong and convoluted.
Really enjoyed rewatching 2 last night though. That’s the one nobody likes right?

2 was good and 3 wasnt as bad as people make it out. i like that they address the PTSD tony has regarding the alien invasion and i like that has been carried on throughout the rest of his appearances

i didnt like getting pepper powers. i know people hated the mandarin reveal but i thought it was a clever twist on a central IM villain without having to explain too much (for example in the comics the mandarin gets his rings from aliens who are actually dragons)

i still rank IM, CA:TWS and CA:CW as 1a, 1b and 1c as their best entries and you can argue any order and i could agree
Post a reply