The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 18  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 2018 50/50 Challenge - 50 Books & 50 Movies in One Year
PostPosted: Sat April 07, 2018 10:54 pm 
Online
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 6601
Location: Washington State
As the arbiter of nothing, inc., I have to say I don't give a shit if you've watched something 1 or 100 times before. Yeah the general conceit is "brand new to you" but I'd rather be inclusive and get people talking about things, even older ones.

Speaking of which, I watched Billy Madison with my son while we were camping. It's fucking surreal the way it's put together.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 50/50 Challenge - 50 Books & 50 Movies in One Year
PostPosted: Sat April 07, 2018 11:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:53 pm
Posts: 9280
durdencommatyler wrote:
B wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
bada wrote:
Joe you just watched the Star Wars prequels for the first time this year? Where have you been?

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait.... these movies have to be seen for the first time ever to count? Not just with in the year? I get not counting the same movie twice in one year, but all brand new, ever seen, films? That's fucking stupid.


I mean, that's what I'M doing. Who gives a shit if you watched The Phantom Menace for the 8th time? We're just gonna make fun of you for that shit anyhow.

Team B.

The prequels count!


I thought maybe you never watched them before. My wife works with a couple guys that never watched any Star Wars movies amazingly those people exist. As much fun as it was to give B a hard time about audiobooks I'm fine with whatever.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 50/50 Challenge - 50 Books & 50 Movies in One Year
PostPosted: Sat April 07, 2018 11:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:53 pm
Posts: 9280
Books:
01. The Cold Dish (Walt Longmire, #1)
02. Pastime (Spenser, #18)
03. Fletch's Fortune (Fletch, #3)
04. Pacific Vortex! (Dirk Pitt, #1)
05. True Grit
06. Stardust
07. Blood Meridian or the Evening Redness in the West
08. Norse Mythology
09. The Bat (Harry Hole, #1)
10. Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
11. Death Without Company (Walt Longmire, #2)
12. Firestarter
13. The Terror
14. Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume I

Movies:
01. Safari (1956)
02. Ice Station Zebra (1968)
03. Knights of the Round Table (1953)
04. The Maltese Falcon (1941)
05. Black Panther (2018)

Video Game:
01. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Remastered (PS4)
02. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Remastered (PS4)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 50/50 Challenge - 50 Books & 50 Movies in One Year
PostPosted: Sun April 08, 2018 4:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 67566
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
bada wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
B wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
bada wrote:
Joe you just watched the Star Wars prequels for the first time this year? Where have you been?

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait.... these movies have to be seen for the first time ever to count? Not just with in the year? I get not counting the same movie twice in one year, but all brand new, ever seen, films? That's fucking stupid.


I mean, that's what I'M doing. Who gives a shit if you watched The Phantom Menace for the 8th time? We're just gonna make fun of you for that shit anyhow.

Team B.

The prequels count!


I thought maybe you never watched them before. My wife works with a couple guys that never watched any Star Wars movies amazingly those people exist. As much fun as it was to give B a hard time about audiobooks I'm fine with whatever.

I saw all three in their original theatrical release. But I had only seen TPM on VHS after it's theatrical run. I hadn't seen AotC or RotS since watching them in the theater.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 50/50 Challenge - 50 Books & 50 Movies in One Year
PostPosted: Sun April 08, 2018 4:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 67566
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
bune wrote:
As the arbiter of nothing, inc., I have to say I don't give a shit if you've watched something 1 or 100 times before. Yeah the general conceit is "brand new to you" but I'd rather be inclusive and get people talking about things, even older ones.

Speaking of which, I watched Billy Madison with my son while we were camping. It's fucking surreal the way it's put together.

Alright, alright. Fine. I'll play by your rules, OP.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 50/50 Challenge - 50 Books & 50 Movies in One Year
PostPosted: Sun April 08, 2018 4:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 67566
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
Books: 11/50:
1. Ernest Hemingway on Writing
2. The Secret History of Twin Peaks by Mark Frost
3. Raven Girl by Audrey Niffenegger
4. Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
5. Pattern Recognition by Wiiliam Gibson
6. Ancient History - David Ives
7. Freedom - Jonathan Franzen
8. Crapalachia - Scott McClanahan
9. Exit Ghost - Philip Roth
10. The Westing Game - Ellen Raskin
11. To Peter Pan on Her 70th Birthday - Sarah Ruhl

Movies: 16/50:
1.The Last Jedi
2. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
3. What If
4. Logan
5. The Shape of Water
6. Call Me By Your Name
7. Phantom Thread
8. A Bad Moms Christmas
9. A Ghost Story
10. The Phantom Menace
11. A Futile and Stupid Gesture
12. Black Panther
13. David Bowie: The Last Five Years
14. Annihilation
15. Girls Trip
16. The House


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 50/50 Challenge - 50 Books & 50 Movies in One Year
PostPosted: Sun April 08, 2018 7:30 pm 
Online
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 6601
Location: Washington State
durdencommatyler wrote:
bune wrote:
As the arbiter of nothing, inc., I have to say I don't give a shit if you've watched something 1 or 100 times before. Yeah the general conceit is "brand new to you" but I'd rather be inclusive and get people talking about things, even older ones.

Speaking of which, I watched Billy Madison with my son while we were camping. It's fucking surreal the way it's put together.

Alright, alright. Fine. I'll play by your rules, OP.

But I just said I don't give a shit...?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 50/50 Challenge - 50 Books & 50 Movies in One Year
PostPosted: Sun April 08, 2018 7:39 pm 
Online
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 6601
Location: Washington State
17/50 Books
    Son of Retro Pulp Tales by Joe R. Lansdale
    Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein
    The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures by Aaron Mahnke
    A Wrinkle in Time: The Graphic Novel by Hope Larson
    Cassandra French's Finishing School for Boys: A Novel by Eric Garcia
    We Were Eight Years in Power: An American Tragedy by Ta-Nehisi Coates
    William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope by Ian Doescher
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
    Null States by Malka Ann Older
    Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers (Red Dwarf #1) by Grant Naylor
    Better than Life (Red Dwarf #2) by Grant Naylor
    Backwards (Red Dwarf #4) by Rob Grant
    Last Human (Red Dwarf #3) by Doug Naylor
    Sleepwalk With Me and Other Painfully True Stories by Mike Birbiglia
    Shadow Moon (Chronicles of the Shadow War #1) by Chris Claremont, George Lucas
    Who Could That Be at This Hour? (All the Wrong Questions #1) by Lemony Snicket
    You're Saying It Wrong: A Pronunciation Guide to the 150 Most Commonly Mispronounced Words--and Their Tangled Histories of Misuse by Ross Petras and Kathryn Petras

21/50 Movies
    Kingsman: The Golden Circle (2017)
    The Dark Tower (2017)
    Kong: Skull Island (2017)
    Justice League (2017)
    Geostorm (2017)
    The Book of Henry (2017)
    Black Panther (2018)
    Being Canadian (2015)
    Willow (1988)
    Justice League Dark (2017)
    Despicable Me 3 (2017)
    Journey Through the Past (1974)
    Coco (2017)
    The Music of Strangers (2015)
    The Big Sick (2017)
    Chronicle (2012)
    Transformers: The Last Knight (2017)
    Darkest Hour (2017)
    The Man Who Invented Christmas (2017)
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)
    Ready Player One (2018)

Chronicle was probably lightning in a bottle for Max Landis and Josh Trank and they've not done much since. The Last Knight wasn't worth the 0's and 1's on the disc. Darkest Hour was, without a doubt, a vehicle solely to get an Oscar for Gary Oldman.

The Man Who Invented Christmas was an alright film, though there were a few pacing issues.

Next up: "Their Finest" to complete the Dunkirk trilogy.

Side note - was there something about Dunkirk/Churchill this past year that I missed? Three movies about the event, two about the man. Or is this a mega Armageddon/Deep Impact Antz/A Bug's Life thing?


Last edited by bune on Mon April 16, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 50/50 Challenge - 50 Books & 50 Movies in One Year
PostPosted: Sun April 08, 2018 9:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 67566
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
bune wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
bune wrote:
As the arbiter of nothing, inc., I have to say I don't give a shit if you've watched something 1 or 100 times before. Yeah the general conceit is "brand new to you" but I'd rather be inclusive and get people talking about things, even older ones.

Speaking of which, I watched Billy Madison with my son while we were camping. It's fucking surreal the way it's put together.

Alright, alright. Fine. I'll play by your rules, OP.

But I just said I don't give a shit...?

I SAID YOU WIN OP!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 50/50 Challenge - 50 Books & 50 Movies in One Year
PostPosted: Mon April 09, 2018 12:44 am 
Offline
User avatar
Unqualified to be an Admin
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 9772
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
You watched a movie while camping? You're doing it wrong.

_________________
"In a roundabout way, Boba Fett created Pearl Jam." - Chuck Klosterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 50/50 Challenge - 50 Books & 50 Movies in One Year
PostPosted: Mon April 09, 2018 2:13 am 
Offline
A Return To Form
 Profile

Joined: Sun January 06, 2013 6:05 pm
Posts: 244
Books 11/50
Sing Unburied Sing - Jesmyn Ward
And The Mountains Echoed - Khaled Hosseini
The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho
Women And Power - Mary Beard
Tales Of Ordinary Madness - Charles Bukowski
Mystery Train: Images Of America In Rock N Roll Music - Greil Marcus
Between The World And Me - Ta-Nehisi Coates
Wolf In White Van - John Darnielle
A Mercy - Toni Morrison
The Importance Of Being Earnest and Four Other Plays - Oscar Wilde
Love Goes To Buildings On Fire - Will Hermes

Movies 7/50
Hell Or High Water
Black Panther
Lego Ninjago
Bowie The Last Five Years
Baby Driver
Pitch Perfect 3
Coco


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 50/50 Challenge - 50 Books & 50 Movies in One Year
PostPosted: Mon April 09, 2018 5:45 pm 
Online
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 6601
Location: Washington State
B wrote:
You watched a movie while camping? You're doing it wrong.

It was after hiking around all day and roasting hot dogs and making smores by the campfire for dinner, if that helps.
durdencommatyler wrote:
bune wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
bune wrote:
As the arbiter of nothing, inc., I have to say I don't give a shit if you've watched something 1 or 100 times before. Yeah the general conceit is "brand new to you" but I'd rather be inclusive and get people talking about things, even older ones.

Speaking of which, I watched Billy Madison with my son while we were camping. It's fucking surreal the way it's put together.

Alright, alright. Fine. I'll play by your rules, OP.

But I just said I don't give a shit...?

I SAID YOU WIN OP!

Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 50/50 Challenge - 50 Books & 50 Movies in One Year
PostPosted: Mon April 09, 2018 5:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 67566
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
Books: 12/50:
1. Ernest Hemingway on Writing
2. The Secret History of Twin Peaks by Mark Frost
3. Raven Girl by Audrey Niffenegger
4. Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
5. Pattern Recognition by Wiiliam Gibson
6. Ancient History - David Ives
7. Freedom - Jonathan Franzen
8. Crapalachia - Scott McClanahan
9. Exit Ghost - Philip Roth
10. The Westing Game - Ellen Raskin
11. To Peter Pan on Her 70th Birthday - Sarah Ruhl
12. Universal Harvester - John Darnielle

Movies: 16/50:
1.The Last Jedi
2. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
3. What If
4. Logan
5. The Shape of Water
6. Call Me By Your Name
7. Phantom Thread
8. A Bad Moms Christmas
9. A Ghost Story
10. The Phantom Menace
11. A Futile and Stupid Gesture
12. Black Panther
13. David Bowie: The Last Five Years
14. Annihilation
15. Girls Trip
16. The House


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 50/50 Challenge - 50 Books & 50 Movies in One Year
PostPosted: Tue April 10, 2018 3:42 am 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 67566
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
Books: 12/50:
1. Ernest Hemingway on Writing
2. The Secret History of Twin Peaks by Mark Frost
3. Raven Girl by Audrey Niffenegger
4. Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
5. Pattern Recognition by Wiiliam Gibson
6. Ancient History - David Ives
7. Freedom - Jonathan Franzen
8. Crapalachia - Scott McClanahan
9. Exit Ghost - Philip Roth
10. The Westing Game - Ellen Raskin
11. To Peter Pan on Her 70th Birthday - Sarah Ruhl
12. Universal Harvester - John Darnielle

Movies: 18/50:
1.The Last Jedi
2. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
3. What If
4. Logan
5. The Shape of Water
6. Call Me By Your Name
7. Phantom Thread
8. A Bad Moms Christmas
9. A Ghost Story
10. The Phantom Menace
11. A Futile and Stupid Gesture
12. Black Panther
13. David Bowie: The Last Five Years
14. Annihilation
15. Girls Trip
16. The House
17. A Quiet Place
18. License to Wed


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 50/50 Challenge - 50 Books & 50 Movies in One Year
PostPosted: Fri April 20, 2018 2:41 am 
Offline
A Return To Form
 Profile

Joined: Sun January 06, 2013 6:05 pm
Posts: 244
Books 12/50
Sing Unburied Sing - Jesmyn Ward
And The Mountains Echoed - Khaled Hosseini
The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho
Women And Power - Mary Beard
Tales Of Ordinary Madness - Charles Bukowski
Mystery Train: Images Of America In Rock N Roll Music - Greil Marcus
Between The World And Me - Ta-Nehisi Coates
Wolf In White Van - John Darnielle
A Mercy - Toni Morrison
The Importance Of Being Earnest and Four Other Plays - Oscar Wilde
Love Goes To Buildings On Fire - Will Hermes
Cat's Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut

Movies 9/50
Hell Or High Water
Black Panther
Lego Ninjago
Bowie The Last Five Years
Baby Driver
Pitch Perfect 3
Coco
Girls Trip
Isle Of Dogs


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 50/50 Challenge - 50 Books & 50 Movies in One Year
PostPosted: Fri April 20, 2018 3:31 pm 
Online
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 6601
Location: Washington State
I only just noticed The Westing Game in there. I love that book so much, I read it quite a lot when I was young. I was so happy when my son came home one day and said they were reading it in school. He liked it so much he bought his own copy. It's just a great book.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 50/50 Challenge - 50 Books & 50 Movies in One Year
PostPosted: Fri April 20, 2018 7:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 67566
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
bune wrote:
I only just noticed The Westing Game in there. I love that book so much, I read it quite a lot when I was young. I was so happy when my son came home one day and said they were reading it in school. He liked it so much he bought his own copy. It's just a great book.

:heartbeat:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 50/50 Challenge - 50 Books & 50 Movies in One Year
PostPosted: Fri April 20, 2018 8:31 pm 
Online
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 6601
Location: Washington State
That book is the reason I love guessing what the author is trying to do so much. My wife says it drives her crazy when we're talking about a book we've both read or are reading and I'm constantly saying how this means that and the other. She's like, don't you ever just read a book?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 50/50 Challenge - 50 Books & 50 Movies in One Year
PostPosted: Fri April 20, 2018 8:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 67566
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
bune wrote:
That book is the reason I love guessing what the author is trying to do so much. My wife says it drives her crazy when we're talking about a book we've both read or are reading and I'm constantly saying how this means that and the other. She's like, don't you ever just read a book?

I... I don't... tell her you're right. What you do IS reading a book and there's no other way to read a book and she's not making any senese.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 50/50 Challenge - 50 Books & 50 Movies in One Year
PostPosted: Fri April 20, 2018 8:55 pm 
Online
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 6601
Location: Washington State
I asked her once and the best I can describe it is that it's like dictation: the words go in, the pages turn, the book is over.

Don't get me wrong, she's had emotional reactions to books and stuff, it's just that she experiences them way different than I ever could. I just gave up trying to understand her reading process.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 18  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Mon December 17, 2018 3:10 am