Switch to full style
Books, movies, television...
Post a reply

The Simpsons

Fri March 22, 2013 8:11 pm

I have a friend who's never seen a single episode ( :shock: ) and I want to get her hooked. I think, with her sense of humor, this show is right up her alley.

What do you recommend as a first episode to a complete newcomer?

Re: The Simpsons

Fri March 22, 2013 8:12 pm

Tomacco

Fri March 22, 2013 8:12 pm

probably something from season four

Fri March 22, 2013 8:16 pm

I used to watch this everyday but after college I kind of forgot about it. It's still on huh?

Fri March 22, 2013 8:17 pm

I don't think I've seen an episode since sometime around 1996 or 7.

I imagine that the above information is very helpful to you right now.

Fri March 22, 2013 8:18 pm

Dental plan!

McParadigm wrote:I don't think I've seen an episode since sometime around 1996 or 7.

I imagine that the above information is very helpful to you right now.

bada wrote:I used to watch this everyday but after college I kind of forgot about it. It's still on huh?

As far as I'm concerned, seasons 3-9 are some of the best comedy in the history of television. I haven't seen a new episode in ages.

Fri March 22, 2013 8:20 pm

There have been a few funny episodes from this latest season. The one where Burns replaces the plant workers with robots is pretty funny.

Fri March 22, 2013 8:23 pm

theplatypus wrote:I have a friend who's never seen a single episode ( :shock: ) and I want to get her hooked. I think, with her sense of humor, this show is right up her alley.

but..she never saw an episode?? thats weird. Thats so weird its frightening.

Fri March 22, 2013 10:34 pm

theplatypus wrote:
bada wrote:I used to watch this everyday but after college I kind of forgot about it. It's still on huh?

As far as I'm concerned, seasons 3-9 are some of the best comedy in the history of television. I haven't seen a new episode in ages.

I stopped in '99 so I guess that means I saw the best stuff! I don't think it's even on in syndication in my area anymore. Back in the late 90's if you flipped around you could watch 6 hours a day of that show if you wanted. That and Seinfeld.

Fri March 22, 2013 10:59 pm

Over the 8 months or so, I've been re-watching the entire series with audio commentaries on. 75% of the time, there's some really interesting stuff in there. About a third of the way through Season 10 now.

Fri March 22, 2013 11:56 pm

bada wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

I stopped in '99 so I guess that means I saw the best stuff! I don't think it's even on in syndication in my area anymore. Back in the late 90's if you flipped around you could watch 6 hours a day of that show if you wanted. That and Seinfeld.

Seinfeld in syndication was horrible, the bits I would see at hotels (as I haven't had cable since 2001) were playing faster and I felt the timing was truly off.

For nostalgia sake I would recommend tossing on the first episode just for the intro of characters, even if the animation was still almost that of the Ullman Show shorts.

Sat March 23, 2013 12:07 am

theplatypus wrote:

This. It stayed decent into the early aughts but then fell off the map completely. Season 12 had A Tale Of Two Springfields which I consider the last really great Simpsons episode.

Sat March 23, 2013 12:07 am

VinylGuy wrote:
theplatypus wrote:I have a friend who's never seen a single episode ( :shock: ) and I want to get her hooked. I think, with her sense of humor, this show is right up her alley.

but..she never saw an episode?? thats weird. Thats so weird its frightening.

My best friend had really strict TV rules growing up and apparently didn't see a single episode until he got to college. Having grown up with them, I find that bizarre.

Sat March 23, 2013 12:08 am

did you just call Reid your best friend

cause lol

Sat March 23, 2013 12:10 am

no

Sat March 23, 2013 12:33 am

Anyway, I wound up showing her "Marge vs. the Monorail". She loved it!

/thread.

Sat March 23, 2013 12:34 am

i watched a new episode recently. I barely recognized it.

Sat March 23, 2013 12:39 am

theplatypus wrote:Anyway, I wound up showing her "Marge vs. the Monorail". She loved it!

/thread.

Good choice.
Post a reply