The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 630 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Paul Thomas Anderson's Licorice Pizza (Nov. 26, 2021)
PostPosted: Sat January 29, 2022 2:43 am 
Production Police

About to watch this

PostPosted: Sat January 29, 2022 2:46 am 
The Master

Interested to hear your opinion. I never pulled it he trigger on going to see it, but one theater here is still showing it.

PostPosted: Sat January 29, 2022 3:46 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Just came back. Liked it a lot...its weird and funny. The cast is great...tom waits!! Man what a treat that was...
Bradley cooper was really funny

PostPosted: Sat January 29, 2022 5:51 am 
Production Police

OMG I loved it. PTA just kicking back and saying “let’s hang and have fun” for a couple hours. While it’s not The Master, the 20 minute stretch from Sean Penn & Tom Waits through everything with Bradley Cooper is up there with his best work.

Our modern lives are too compartmentalized, impersonal, and segmented. Everything back then just seemed so much more tactile and personal.

This movie has very good vibes without ever feeling sentimental. Great flick after two years stuck indoors and wearing masks.

PostPosted: Sat January 29, 2022 2:59 pm 
Production Police

tragabigzanda wrote:
OMG I loved it. PTA just kicking back and saying “let’s hang and have fun” for a couple hours. While it’s not The Master, the 20 minute stretch from Sean Penn & Tom Waits through everything with Bradley Cooper is up there with his best work.

Our modern lives are too compartmentalized, impersonal, and segmented. Everything back then just seemed so much more tactile and personal.

This movie has very good vibes without ever feeling sentimental. Great flick after two years stuck indoors and wearing masks.

Oh and the running motif that bothers some people: of course they were running all the time. Every scene with them running was built around a problem that today would be immediately solved by cellphones.

PostPosted: Sat January 29, 2022 4:19 pm 
Production Police

The Argonaut wrote:
The pedophilia was my least favorite :(

tree_ wrote:
Apparently this movie is "disgusting", "incoherent", "problematic" and "offensive"... guess I won't be watching it

Argo and trees friends watched a completely different movie. There’s nothing remotely upsetting about this movie. It is very upbeat and pleasant.

PostPosted: Sat January 29, 2022 4:22 pm 
Production Police

Oh and John Michael Higgins was amazing

PostPosted: Sat January 29, 2022 4:37 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I was kidding

PostPosted: Sat January 29, 2022 4:38 pm 
The Master

Sounds shit*y. Think i'll pass.

PostPosted: Sat January 29, 2022 4:44 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

tragabigzanda wrote:

Agree. In still thinking about it. I’m sure I’m going to see it again next week.

PostPosted: Sat January 29, 2022 4:50 pm 
Future Drummer

tragabigzanda wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:

tree_ wrote:
Apparently this movie is "disgusting", "incoherent", "problematic" and "offensive"... guess I won't be watching it

Argo and trees friends watched a completely different movie. There’s nothing remotely upsetting about this movie. It is very upbeat and pleasant.

hard agree, though i also suspect pta intended to mildly provoke political id crowd a bit with this & with the scene in which the white restaurant owner begins (consciously or not) to mimic his wife’s accent. pta is not a dummy. raises a question — must representation in film adhere to the political advances (or the political/moral positions held by the majority of people in a society) of its moment to be considered good.

PostPosted: Sat January 29, 2022 4:52 pm 
Future Drummer

not a super interesting question, but one americans continue to stumble over

PostPosted: Sat January 29, 2022 4:58 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Glad you liked it trag. I was also kidding, referring to some critics’ outrage. Still can’t wait to see it.

PostPosted: Sat January 29, 2022 5:04 pm 
Future Drummer

tragabigzanda wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Oh and the running motif that bothers some people: of course they were running all the time. Every scene with them running was built around a problem that today would be immediately solved by cellphones.

trag — i really wish your sentence that ends, “of course they were running all the time.” was followed by, “People throughout history have always ran.”

immortality narrowly missed

PostPosted: Sat January 29, 2022 6:46 pm 
Production Police

Malloy wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:

tree_ wrote:

hard agree, though i also suspect pta intended to mildly provoke political id crowd a bit with this & with the scene in which the white restaurant owner begins (consciously or not) to mimic his wife’s accent. pta is not a dummy. raises a question — must representation in film adhere to the political advances (or the political/moral positions held by the majority of people in a society) of its moment to be considered good.

I think that much of this film stems from his own experiences growing up in Hollywood, as well as those of a particular kid who became a well known agent (this has been covered in interviews). My hunch is that those scenes are based on something that really happened.

PostPosted: Sat January 29, 2022 9:12 pm 
Future Drummer

tragabigzanda wrote:
Malloy wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:

tree_ wrote:

I think that much of this film stems from his own experiences growing up in Hollywood, as well as those of a particular kid who became a well known agent (this has been covered in interviews). My hunch is that those scenes are based on something that really happened.

who is the agent?

im aware of the personal aspect of the movie, though im not convinced one needs to invoke historical fidelity to rationalize the inclusion of any of these scenes.

PostPosted: Sat January 29, 2022 9:17 pm 
Production Police

Sorry, he’s Tom Hanks’s producing partner, but I think he was a former agent. And much of the movie is based on his and PTA’s experiences growing up around Hollywood:

https://screenrant.com/licorice-pizza-m ... cters/amp/

PostPosted: Sat January 29, 2022 9:18 pm 
Production Police

And no I agree he doesn’t have to invoke fidelity…but I think it gives him added cover.

PostPosted: Sat January 29, 2022 9:18 pm 
Future Drummer

tragabigzanda wrote:
Sorry, he’s Tom Hanks’s producing partner, but I think he was a former agent. And much of the movie is based on his and PTA’s experiences growing up around Hollywood:

https://screenrant.com/licorice-pizza-m ... cters/amp/

i missed this article, thanks!

PostPosted: Sat January 29, 2022 9:19 pm 
Future Drummer

tragabigzanda wrote:
And no I agree he doesn’t have to invoke fidelity…but I think it gives him added cover.

definitely

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 630 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 32  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment