The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1368, 1369, 1370, 1371, 1372, 1373, 1374 ... 2022  Next
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Tue November 23, 2021 8:12 pm 
Future Drummer

The Argonaut wrote:
Malloy wrote:
rewatched Point Blank. still so good.

if any of you have criterion, you should really watch Little Murders before it's removed at the end of the month. one of my favorites comedies of all time.

I signed up for Criterion Channel back in February and it changed my year. I've gotten back into the habit of watching a movie every day. I had been on a TV kick for the previous three years or so, and I think I've now watched more movies this year than any year before.

Point Blank is one of my faves, for sure. I've said it before and I'll say it again: greatest dick punch in the history of cinema. Lee Marvin at his best.

I've been looking at the Robert Mitchum movies that they put together this month. I re-visited Night of the Hunter for the first time in probably a decade and holy cow is that movie amazing. Very bold, very strange, very sexual, way better than I remembered even. Crossfire was good, Robert Mitchum and Robert Ryan, can't go wrong. Mitchum's not-at-all-concerned vibe when he first talks to the cops sticks out in my head. Last night I watched one of the film noirs, which was a pretty typical fifties movie with a hell of an ending. The balls on the endings of some of these noir movies is tremendous. Like, a big shocking ending and then the title card. Great.

I've also been watching some Aki Kaurismaki stuff on there, which I've never seen. Good stuff, very Jarmusch. The Helsinki segment of Night on Earth fits right into that groove, I can see that Jarmusch was giving his respects to Kaurismaki there.

Another thing that is worth looking at that they recently added is The Mystery of Picasso, directed by Clouzot. We watch Picasso making art in real time. I saw part of it fifteen years ago and this is the first time I've been able to find a high quality version so I could see the whole thing.

I'll be sure to take a look at Little Murders.

been dragging my feet on kaurismaki!

PostPosted: Tue November 23, 2021 8:21 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Malloy wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:
Malloy wrote:
rewatched Point Blank. still so good.

if any of you have criterion, you should really watch Little Murders before it's removed at the end of the month. one of my favorites comedies of all time.

I signed up for Criterion Channel back in February and it changed my year. I've gotten back into the habit of watching a movie every day. I had been on a TV kick for the previous three years or so, and I think I've now watched more movies this year than any year before.

Point Blank is one of my faves, for sure. I've said it before and I'll say it again: greatest dick punch in the history of cinema. Lee Marvin at his best.

I've been looking at the Robert Mitchum movies that they put together this month. I re-visited Night of the Hunter for the first time in probably a decade and holy cow is that movie amazing. Very bold, very strange, very sexual, way better than I remembered even. Crossfire was good, Robert Mitchum and Robert Ryan, can't go wrong. Mitchum's not-at-all-concerned vibe when he first talks to the cops sticks out in my head. Last night I watched one of the film noirs, which was a pretty typical fifties movie with a hell of an ending. The balls on the endings of some of these noir movies is tremendous. Like, a big shocking ending and then the title card. Great.

I've also been watching some Aki Kaurismaki stuff on there, which I've never seen. Good stuff, very Jarmusch. The Helsinki segment of Night on Earth fits right into that groove, I can see that Jarmusch was giving his respects to Kaurismaki there.

Another thing that is worth looking at that they recently added is The Mystery of Picasso, directed by Clouzot. We watch Picasso making art in real time. I saw part of it fifteen years ago and this is the first time I've been able to find a high quality version so I could see the whole thing.

I'll be sure to take a look at Little Murders.

been dragging my feet on kaurismaki!

That’s very interesting Argo. Not seen a lot of Kaurismaki. Wish we had Criterion here.

PostPosted: Wed November 24, 2021 5:09 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Titanic

PostPosted: Fri November 26, 2021 11:13 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Long Day's Journey Into Night

PostPosted: Fri November 26, 2021 11:50 pm 
The Master

Anders wrote:
Titanic

Never seen this.

PostPosted: Sat November 27, 2021 3:21 am 
Major Dude

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
Anders wrote:
Titanic

Never seen this.

Don’t waste your time with this Terminator/ True Lies remake.

PostPosted: Sat November 27, 2021 3:31 am 
The Master

wease wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
Anders wrote:
Titanic

Never seen this.

Don’t waste your time with this Terminator/ True Lies remake.

I’m not sure I get this.

PostPosted: Sat November 27, 2021 4:50 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Gonna watch Home Alone with my girls tonight since they're still too young for Die Hard

PostPosted: Sun November 28, 2021 12:25 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

8 bit Christmas was fun

PostPosted: Sun November 28, 2021 2:09 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Overlord.

It was fine.

PostPosted: Sun November 28, 2021 4:50 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

In the other thread I said that Punch Drunk Love was "maybe my favorite PTA movie, maybe." Well, I just did a re-watch for the first time in probably a few years and I'd like to apologize to Lenny because it is absolutely my favorite PTA movie, absolutely. I felt off-kilter and on the edge of my seat from the very first scene. A couple other thoughts: Adam Sandler in this and Uncut Gems are two of the finest performances of all time. Maybe the two finest, come at me. And, seeing Philip Seymour Hoffman caused a physical pain or discomfort or grief that I felt acutely in my stomach and more numbly all over my body. A real sadness. Something similar happened when I saw him as I re-watched Moneyball about a month or so ago and I do not recall ever experiencing anything similar for any other deceased actor nor do I remember feeling abnormally affected a few years ago when the news was fresh.

PostPosted: Sun November 28, 2021 5:21 am 
The Master

The Argonaut wrote:
In the other thread I said that Punch Drunk Love was "maybe my favorite PTA movie, maybe." Well, I just did a re-watch for the first time in probably a few years and I'd like to apologize to Lenny because it is absolutely my favorite PTA movie, absolutely. I felt off-kilter and on the edge of my seat from the very first scene. A couple other thoughts: Adam Sandler in this and Uncut Gems are two of the finest performances of all time. Maybe the two finest, come at me. And, seeing Philip Seymour Hoffman caused a physical pain or discomfort or grief that I felt acutely in my stomach and more numbly all over my body. A real sadness. Something similar happened when I saw him as I re-watched Moneyball about a month or so ago and I do not recall ever experiencing anything similar for any other deceased actor nor do I remember feeling abnormally affected a few years ago when the news was fresh.

:)

PostPosted: Sun November 28, 2021 5:22 am 
The Master

I wasn't near as enamored with Sandler in Uncut Gems as this.

PostPosted: Sun November 28, 2021 3:30 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Last night in soho.

Fist half was fun and interesting; then it became repetitive and boring. The movie looks gorgeous and the framing is great until the last sequence.

PostPosted: Mon November 29, 2021 4:40 am 
jeeeesus relax already

House Of Gucci.

What a wonderful ride. Jeez this cast...Lady Gaga is out of this world.
What an incredible year for Ridley Scott.

PostPosted: Mon November 29, 2021 2:34 pm 
Rank This Poster

L.A. Confidential

I remembered virtually nothing about this movie even though I saw it back when it came out. I even cut the poster out of a magazine and hung it on my wall. I would have been too young to appreciate it at the time because the only memory I do have is being a little bored and confused.

Anyway, this a fantastic movie.

PostPosted: Mon November 29, 2021 3:01 pm 
The Master

Farmer John wrote:
L.A. Confidential

I remembered virtually nothing about this movie even though I saw it back when it came out. I even cut the poster out of a magazine and hung it on my wall. I would have been too young to appreciate it at the time because the only memory I do have is being a little bored and confused.

Anyway, this a fantastic movie.

Yeah it’s fantastic. Pearce, Crow, Cromwell, Basinger, the plotting, the dialogue. Whole thing just soars.

Hansen’s had an odd career. And morning since 2012’s Chasing Mavericks? What’s he been up to?

PostPosted: Mon November 29, 2021 3:02 pm 
The Master

Oh. He died in 2016. That does explain things.

PostPosted: Mon November 29, 2021 7:48 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I remember being so unbelievably underwhelmed by LA Confidential when it first came out. Some of that might have been my own problem with managing expectations. I maybe put too much on the film.

But I really need to see it again. It's way past time for a reconsideration.

PostPosted: Mon November 29, 2021 8:08 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

yeah, i was also disappointed back in the day, and i think mainly because i read the book, and the movie was different. I have to watch it again too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1368, 1369, 1370, 1371, 1372, 1373, 1374 ... 2022  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment