The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18004 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 834, 835, 836, 837, 838, 839, 840 ... 901  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:48 am 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 7673
Location: Port Perry Lodge on voluptuous Lake Perry
Watched Everest tonight.. pretty good. Wife cried and scratched me.

_________________
tree_ presents M_D's Video Game Tournament: A Thief's End


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:56 am 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 1:53 pm
Posts: 13702
Location: mtlqcca
You make weird posts, tree

_________________
If we don't open our eyes to reality soon, they'll get fucked right out of our heads


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:39 am 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 23733
Location: Different mountains than Strat.
The Florida Project. Latest in a long line of the "unflinching gaze on America's poor" genre (see also Vernon, Florida; Kids; Gummo; George Washington; American Honey).

Everything is super visceral despite mostly static camera work. Performances are excellent, though i wonder how many are even professional actors? My only problem with Dafoe's character is that no way would a guy that nice work that job in real life.

The twist ending was fine. Not the brilliant stroke other reviewers had made it out to be, but it was novel and effective.

Do they still make Dogma 95 films? This likely could have qualified.


Last edited by tragabigzanda on Thu May 17, 2018 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:39 am 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 23733
Location: Different mountains than Strat.
Agreed with LV's thoughts on Gladiator and Burt's opinion on twirling moustaches.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 66392
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
Tully. I liked it. Charlize Theron doesn't get enough credit.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 14903
durdencommatyler wrote:
Tully. I liked it. Charlize Theron doesn't get enough credit.


Going tonight. Im super exited...im such a fan of Reitman´s work.

_________________
BONE FUCKIN´ TOMAHAWK.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 23733
Location: Different mountains than Strat.
durdencommatyler wrote:
Tully. I liked it. Charlize Theron doesn't get enough credit.

:?: Isn't she, like, an Oscar-winning A-list actress who likely commands upwards of $10M/film?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 37441
Yes but shockingly her credit score is in the 500s

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What's going on in here

a lot of hurt


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 7673
Location: Port Perry Lodge on voluptuous Lake Perry
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Tully. I liked it. Charlize Theron doesn't get enough credit.

:?: Isn't she, like, an Oscar-winning A-list actress who likely commands upwards of $10M/film?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Ever since she got ugly and played a prostitute/murderer she's been considered one of the bestest.

_________________
tree_ presents M_D's Video Game Tournament: A Thief's End


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 37441
Spoiler: show
i am so, so sorry for that joke

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What's going on in here

a lot of hurt


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 7673
Location: Port Perry Lodge on voluptuous Lake Perry
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Spoiler: show
i am so, so sorry for that joke

Spoiler: show
no baby vaginas :thumbsup:

_________________
tree_ presents M_D's Video Game Tournament: A Thief's End


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 14903
tragabigzanda wrote:
The Florida Project. Latest in a long line of the "unflinching gaze on America's poor" genre (see also Vernon, Florida; Kids; Gummo; George Washington; American Honey).

Everything is super visceral despite mostly static camera work. Performances are excellent, though i wonder how many are even professional actors? My only problem with Dafoe's character is that no way would a guy that nice work that job in real life.

The twist ending was fine. Not the brilliant stroke other reviewers had made it out to be, but it was novel and effective.

Do they still make Dogma 95 films? This likely could have qualified.


I really liked TFP, im a big big fan of Sean´s work. Those kids were not professionals, and the girl´s mother was a instagram celebrity...so, very impressive.

Dont agree with the Dafoe view..why not? I know wonderful people working in shitty places.....as for the ending i thought it was a letdown. He chooses to go full fairy tale just when i needed to see the real ending. Still, great movie.

_________________
BONE FUCKIN´ TOMAHAWK.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 7673
Location: Port Perry Lodge on voluptuous Lake Perry
VinylGuy wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
The Florida Project. Latest in a long line of the "unflinching gaze on America's poor" genre (see also Vernon, Florida; Kids; Gummo; George Washington; American Honey).

Everything is super visceral despite mostly static camera work. Performances are excellent, though i wonder how many are even professional actors? My only problem with Dafoe's character is that no way would a guy that nice work that job in real life.

The twist ending was fine. Not the brilliant stroke other reviewers had made it out to be, but it was novel and effective.

Do they still make Dogma 95 films? This likely could have qualified.


I really liked TFP, im a big big fan of Sean´s work. Those kids were not professionals, and the girl´s mother was a instagram celebrity...so, very impressive.

Dont agree with the Dafoe view..why not? I know wonderful people working in shitty places.....as for the ending i thought it was a letdown. He chooses to go full fairy tale just when i needed to see the real ending. Still, great movie.

This is on my watch list. I'll try to convince the wife.

_________________
tree_ presents M_D's Video Game Tournament: A Thief's End


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 23733
Location: Different mountains than Strat.
VinylGuy wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
The Florida Project. Latest in a long line of the "unflinching gaze on America's poor" genre (see also Vernon, Florida; Kids; Gummo; George Washington; American Honey).

Everything is super visceral despite mostly static camera work. Performances are excellent, though i wonder how many are even professional actors? My only problem with Dafoe's character is that no way would a guy that nice work that job in real life.

The twist ending was fine. Not the brilliant stroke other reviewers had made it out to be, but it was novel and effective.

Do they still make Dogma 95 films? This likely could have qualified.


I really liked TFP, im a big big fan of Sean´s work. Those kids were not professionals, and the girl´s mother was a instagram celebrity...so, very impressive.

Dont agree with the Dafoe view..why not? I know wonderful people working in shitty places.....as for the ending i thought it was a letdown. He chooses to go full fairy tale just when i needed to see the real ending. Still, great movie.


I guess you're right, there are good people doing shitty jobs...But still, his kindness felt a little too big for his station in life. Don't get me wrong, Dafoe played the part terrifically; I would just expect to see a few more warts on that sort of person in real life.

I dug the ending.

Spoiler: show
Not amazing, but I thought it was an effective resolution given their seeming proximity, yet obvious inaccessibility, to the nearby Disneyworld; obviously there's no way their lives turned out great. It sort of reminded me of how at the end of No Country For Old Men, Tommy Lee Jones's brother suggests it's "vanity" to expect an inherently sad story to somehow have a happy ending.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 23733
Location: Different mountains than Strat.
VinylGuy wrote:
Those kids were not professionals, and the girl´s mother was a instagram celebrity...

This would explain my only other gripe with the film: The annunciation and audio were both pitiful. We had to watch with the closed-captioning on! Given that they weren't professional actors, I'll fault the director for not taking a more rigorous approach in post. I get that all their mumbling and talking over each other added to the realism, but at a certain point I need to be able to understand what they're actually saying.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 7673
Location: Port Perry Lodge on voluptuous Lake Perry
tragabigzanda wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Those kids were not professionals, and the girl´s mother was a instagram celebrity...

This would explain my only other gripe with the film: The annunciation and audio were both pitiful. We had to watch with the closed-captioning on! Given that they weren't professional actors, I'll fault the director for not taking a more rigorous approach in post. I get that all their mumbling and talking over each other added to the realism, but at a certain point I need to be able to understand what they're actually saying.

I guess I won't be watching this, then. Wife will not like this.

_________________
tree_ presents M_D's Video Game Tournament: A Thief's End


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 23733
Location: Different mountains than Strat.
tree_ wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Those kids were not professionals, and the girl´s mother was a instagram celebrity...

This would explain my only other gripe with the film: The annunciation and audio were both pitiful. We had to watch with the closed-captioning on! Given that they weren't professional actors, I'll fault the director for not taking a more rigorous approach in post. I get that all their mumbling and talking over each other added to the realism, but at a certain point I need to be able to understand what they're actually saying.

I guess I won't be watching this, then. Wife will not like this.

Watch it by yourself when she's in labor.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 7673
Location: Port Perry Lodge on voluptuous Lake Perry
tragabigzanda wrote:
tree_ wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Those kids were not professionals, and the girl´s mother was a instagram celebrity...

This would explain my only other gripe with the film: The annunciation and audio were both pitiful. We had to watch with the closed-captioning on! Given that they weren't professional actors, I'll fault the director for not taking a more rigorous approach in post. I get that all their mumbling and talking over each other added to the realism, but at a certain point I need to be able to understand what they're actually saying.

I guess I won't be watching this, then. Wife will not like this.

Watch it by yourself when she's in labor.

Ha ha ha in the waiting room on my phone yeah right... gotta be holding her hand and massaging and sheeit ... I don't watch movies alone anymore, unless I can watch at work on netflix

_________________
tree_ presents M_D's Video Game Tournament: A Thief's End


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 14903
tree_ wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Those kids were not professionals, and the girl´s mother was a instagram celebrity...

This would explain my only other gripe with the film: The annunciation and audio were both pitiful. We had to watch with the closed-captioning on! Given that they weren't professional actors, I'll fault the director for not taking a more rigorous approach in post. I get that all their mumbling and talking over each other added to the realism, but at a certain point I need to be able to understand what they're actually saying.

I guess I won't be watching this, then. Wife will not like this.


Man, watch it yourself...wifes..

_________________
BONE FUCKIN´ TOMAHAWK.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 14903
tragabigzanda wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
The Florida Project. Latest in a long line of the "unflinching gaze on America's poor" genre (see also Vernon, Florida; Kids; Gummo; George Washington; American Honey).

Everything is super visceral despite mostly static camera work. Performances are excellent, though i wonder how many are even professional actors? My only problem with Dafoe's character is that no way would a guy that nice work that job in real life.

The twist ending was fine. Not the brilliant stroke other reviewers had made it out to be, but it was novel and effective.

Do they still make Dogma 95 films? This likely could have qualified.


I really liked TFP, im a big big fan of Sean´s work. Those kids were not professionals, and the girl´s mother was a instagram celebrity...so, very impressive.

Dont agree with the Dafoe view..why not? I know wonderful people working in shitty places.....as for the ending i thought it was a letdown. He chooses to go full fairy tale just when i needed to see the real ending. Still, great movie.


I guess you're right, there are good people doing shitty jobs...But still, his kindness felt a little too big for his station in life. Don't get me wrong, Dafoe played the part terrifically; I would just expect to see a few more warts on that sort of person in real life.

I dug the ending.

Spoiler: show
Not amazing, but I thought it was an effective resolution given their seeming proximity, yet obvious inaccessibility, to the nearby Disneyworld; obviously there's no way their lives turned out great. It sort of reminded me of how at the end of No Country For Old Men, Tommy Lee Jones's brother suggests it's "vanity" to expect an inherently sad story to somehow have a happy ending.


Spoiler: show
My main concern was that i watched an entire film with the ¨real ¨life of these kids, and just in the end for some reason he chooses to go all fairy mental with us. I needed to see the real stuff..so the kid realized he was going to be far way? show me what happens in the ¨real¨world. Not that weird photograph montage of Disney

_________________
BONE FUCKIN´ TOMAHAWK.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18004 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 834, 835, 836, 837, 838, 839, 840 ... 901  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Fri October 19, 2018 2:24 pm