The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Side Tracked

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Mother Love Bone Reissues
PostPosted: Sat December 05, 2020 11:03 pm 
Major Dude

joostone wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
I'm surprised the band didn't tap Greg? Gilmore to play drums in Pearl Jam, given the trouble they had keeping drummers in the early years.

True, like Regan Hagar he was never considered. Even Chris Friel played on the Gossard demos.

When Dave A was fired all the members had their guy. They went with Jack who was Eddie's pick. Josh Freese was Stone's pick. Chris Friel was once again Mike's pick and Richard Stuverud was Jeff's pick.

Interesting. I don’t think I’ve ever seen this before.

PostPosted: Sun December 06, 2020 12:27 am 
10Club Complaint Department

wease wrote:
joostone wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
I'm surprised the band didn't tap Greg? Gilmore to play drums in Pearl Jam, given the trouble they had keeping drummers in the early years.

True, like Regan Hagar he was never considered. Even Chris Friel played on the Gossard demos.

When Dave A was fired all the members had their guy. They went with Jack who was Eddie's pick. Josh Freese was Stone's pick. Chris Friel was once again Mike's pick and Richard Stuverud was Jeff's pick.

I think it's talked about in the PJ20 book, from memory.

Chris Friel recorded drums on the studio recording of Catholic Boy during that period.

I think I'm more surprised that in the band's early days they went with Dave Krusen - a young, inexperienced drummer who was completely unknown to the band and who ended up being unreliable - over a known quantity like Gilmore or Hagar.

PostPosted: Sun December 06, 2020 12:37 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Wonder what happened to that (black?) Gibson Firebird Stone's playing during most of that Moore Theatre MLB show on the last page.

Never saw him playing it in the early Pearl Jam days.

PostPosted: Sun December 06, 2020 10:10 am 
AnalLog

Birds in Hell wrote:
wease wrote:
joostone wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

I think it's talked about in the PJ20 book, from memory.

Chris Friel recorded drums on the studio recording of Catholic Boy during that period.

I think I'm more surprised that in the band's early days they went with Dave Krusen - a young, inexperienced drummer who was completely unknown to the band and who ended up being unreliable - over a known quantity like Gilmore or Hagar.

After MLB Stone wanted a completely different band. Greg? Gilmore and Bruce Fairweather started a new band together 'Blind Horse' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EICGAr-vLY. Since Regan Hagar was also tried for MLB and Stone started Brad with him in 1992 Its save to assume that Stone really likes to play with Regan. Jeff is probably the one who didn't want him as a drummer. I can see why, because Hagar is a fine and tight grooving drummer. But he's not a heavy hitter. Even Gilmore wasn't really a heavy hitter. So Stone and Jeff didn't settle on a drummer. They wanted Jack Irons but he was playing in Eleven. Maybe Richard Stuverrud was considered, but he just signed with a major label as part of 'War Babies' (the mistakes he made...) . So they went with Krusen. Who did a great job on the recording of Ten.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Side Tracked