The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Side Tracked

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Eddie Vedder Australia 2014
PostPosted: Fri February 28, 2014 2:07 am 
Future Drummer

Just out of interest, how many of the Australian's on this board who went to an EV show hung around afterwards to see if you could get to meet him? I'm sort of doing a survey and I'm interested in where RM sits with this.

PostPosted: Fri February 28, 2014 2:12 am 
10Club Complaint Department

I did once in 2011.

It went fine, I met Ed, he was nice (he seemed kind of baked - or perhaps just tired).

PostPosted: Fri February 28, 2014 3:22 am 
Future Drummer

Fanboi

I bet you didn't take a shower for two weeks :luv:

PostPosted: Fri February 28, 2014 3:29 am 
Future Drummer

Birds in Hell wrote:
I did once in 2011.

It went fine, I met Ed, he was nice (he seemed kind of baked - or perhaps just tired).

I found the thread and your original quote about it:

Not much to tell about meeting Ed, met him outside Thebarton Theatre after the show. I didn't really have any intention of hanging out to meet him (I can't recall ever having done that before) but I got talking to a dude outside who was and by that stage I figured I'd hung around long enough that I may as well hang around a little while longer. Ed came out, made sure he had a quick chat to every single person who'd waited out there (about twenty people or so). Everyone had these long, involved stories to tell him (we're in a band, you're our inspiration, here's our CD/I lost someone close to me, your music helped me through it/blah blah, etc.), I just told him I didn't have much to say to him but thanks for the music in general and thanks for the great two shows over the last couple of nights. He gave me a handshake, asked my name, made small talk. Nothing super interesting - but hey, I'm glad I hung around.

OK, that gives me some perspective. I'm having a small disagreement over on the Pit about the idea of hanging about after a show, I can't fathom it myself, but it turns out that some people don't care for my opinions -who knew!?!?

PostPosted: Fri February 28, 2014 4:22 am 

Varis wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
I did once in 2011.

I found the thread and your original quote about it:

Not much to tell about meeting Ed, met him outside Thebarton Theatre after the show. I didn't really have any intention of hanging out to meet him (I can't recall ever having done that before) but I got talking to a dude outside who was and by that stage I figured I'd hung around long enough that I may as well hang around a little while longer. Ed came out, made sure he had a quick chat to every single person who'd waited out there (about twenty people or so). Everyone had these long, involved stories to tell him (we're in a band, you're our inspiration, here's our CD/I lost someone close to me, your music helped me through it/blah blah, etc.), I just told him I didn't have much to say to him but thanks for the music in general and thanks for the great two shows over the last couple of nights. He gave me a handshake, asked my name, made small talk. Nothing super interesting - but hey, I'm glad I hung around.

OK, that gives me some perspective. I'm having a small disagreement over on the Pit about the idea of hanging about after a show, I can't fathom it myself, but it turns out that some people don't care for my opinions -who knew!?!?

Oh, I totally get having reservations about hassling musicians when they're "off the clock" (so to speak) - I certainly wouldn't have hassled Ed had I seen him in public or with his family, for instance. He generally seems quite happy to chat to fans after shows, however, so it doesn't feel like an intrusion in that context; it doesn't seem all that different to saying "hey, enjoyed your set!" to a musician in a bar.

Some of the other fans were kind of nutso, admittedly - really laying it on thick about their weepy life story and how important Ed's music is to them yadayada. He was pretty gracious about it but I don't envy anyone having to deal with that night after night. Particularly as it didn't really feel genuine, more like they were playing it up in the hopes of making some kind of weirdo connection with him.

PostPosted: Fri February 28, 2014 4:29 am 

There's certainly some fans who have a misplaced sense of entitlement in regards to the band, that buying their records and merchandise and tickets to their shows somehow means they're owed something above and beyond what they've already received - that's all manner of bullshit, obviously.

PostPosted: Fri February 28, 2014 4:37 am 
Future Drummer

obviously

PostPosted: Fri February 28, 2014 4:38 am 
Future Drummer

Totally with guys on this issue, though I think 'rapey' may be a bit harsh. Perhaps 'molesty'?

Birds in Hell wrote:
There's certainly some fans who have a misplaced sense of entitlement in regards to the band, that buying their records and merchandise and tickets to their shows somehow means they're owed something above and beyond what they've already received - that's all manner of bullshit, obviously.

That last post reminded me of this:

PostPosted: Fri February 28, 2014 4:50 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

i've never waited around to meet him, it's always seemed too weird and stalkey to me.

PostPosted: Fri February 28, 2014 5:20 am 

ridleybradout wrote:
That last post reminded me of this:

:nice:

WtOB? wrote:
i've never waited around to meet him, it's always seemed too weird and stalkey to me.

Yeah, it certainly could be. I wouldn't have done it if it felt weird or intrusive, Ed seemed fairly happy to have a quick chat to everyone.

I've read stories on those Facebook groups of people waiting to meet him repeatedly after multiple shows, trying to get a complete set of picks or whatever, hanging out by the stage door til 3 or 4am, knitting him clothes, etc. That kind of stuff is...strange. I think it's a question of degree - that said, once was more than enough for me.

PostPosted: Fri February 28, 2014 7:30 am 
Future Drummer

ridleybradout wrote:
Totally with guys on this issue, though I think 'rapey' may be a bit harsh. Perhaps 'molesty'?

Yeah, I guess....but "rapey" sure gets a better reaction! And you can blame Jorge for that - he used the word in GD and I was itching for an opportunity to bring it up in conversation myself at some stage.

Nice pic too - too true.

WtOB? wrote:

That's my thing too. Probably shouldn't have mentioned it at the Pit though. Hell, what the fuck was I even doing at the Pit in the first place?? I deserve everything I get.

Birds in Hell wrote:
Oh, I totally get having reservations about hassling musicians when they're "off the clock" (so to speak) - I certainly wouldn't have hassled Ed had I seen him in public or with his family, for instance. He generally seems quite happy to chat to fans after shows, however, so it doesn't feel like an intrusion in that context; it doesn't seem all that different to saying "hey, enjoyed your set!" to a musician in a bar.

This is actually probably a reasonable point. At least after shows he knows it's gonna happen regardless and perhaps it is just an extension of "his job" (the show) for that particular night. Having said that I still stand by my comment from over there:

Varis on the Pit wrote:
I appreciate that obviously Ed handles his responsibilities in this area well and takes time out to spend a moment with each of you all hanging out there. But fuck - if I was confronted by a group of weirdos who saw me as some sort of second coming I'd likely try and keep them all placid and happy too! Better safe than sorry, yannow?

PostPosted: Fri February 28, 2014 1:27 pm 
Rank This Poster

Depends on the parking lot situation. If the same amount of time spent sitting in a car waiting to get out could be used to wait outside by the door to meet a band member, I'll wait around. Otherwise to the bar!

PostPosted: Fri February 28, 2014 1:50 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Mark Lanegan said hi to me once. We shook hands.

8-)

PostPosted: Fri February 28, 2014 2:04 pm 
The Master

I met Ed once at the TIbetan Freedom Concert in 1999. Blonde Hair Ed. LOL. Didn't say anything just a quick handshake as we was on his way up to where all the monks were practicing.

If I ever did speak with him I'd probably just thank him for introducing me to Tom Waits with his drunken cover of "That Feel".

PostPosted: Sat March 01, 2014 5:06 pm 
Future Drummer

Further to a side-conversation I was having with our very own Spenno, I'd love to buy the dude a beer, (both Ed and Spenno, for what it's worth!) but specifically here I'm talking about Ed. But only if the opportunity organically presented itself, like I was at the same pub or poolhall or some-such thing.

What would I say? No doubt "Losers rack up, Vedder!" because I am shit-hot-good at pool...

Where did I leave my beer?

PostPosted: Sun March 02, 2014 10:19 pm 
The worst

Varis wrote:
Further to a side-conversation I was having with our very own Spenno, I'd love to buy the dude a beer, (both Ed and Spenno, for what it's worth!) but specifically here I'm talking about Ed. But only if the opportunity organically presented itself, like I was at the same pub or poolhall or some-such thing.

What would I say? No doubt "Losers rack up, Vedder!" because I am shit-hot-good at pool...

Where did I leave my beer?

Would you buy Speeno a beer if he was with his family?

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun March 02, 2014 10:23 pm 
RM Elitist

Hanging out for 20-30 minutes after a show to say a quick thanks to a musician is not weird or obtrusive in anyway.

PostPosted: Sun March 02, 2014 11:24 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

@SkitchP wrote:
Hanging out for 20-30 minutes after a show to say a quick thanks to a musician is not weird or obtrusive in anyway.

I agree. Showing up at their hotel and stuff, that's weird.

PostPosted: Mon March 03, 2014 2:20 am 
Future Drummer

@SkitchP wrote:

What about hanging around till 3am? I gotta disagree with you, I think it is a weird thing to do, but that's just an opinion.

And yes shtip, I would certainly buy both the speenos a beer. And fire engines all round for the kids as well.

PostPosted: Mon March 03, 2014 3:20 am 
RM Elitist

Varis wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:

What about hanging around till 3am? I gotta disagree with you, I think it is a weird thing to do, but that's just an opinion.

And yes shtip, I would certainly buy both the speenos a beer. And fire engines all round for the kids as well.

Anything more than about a half an hour is a bit weird. And if it the conversation extends beyond "Hey Man, Great Show!" or "Thanks, it's a pleasure to meet you I love your work." It's also weird. If it takes place anywhere other than the venue or a chance meeting at a coffee shop, it's weird.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Side Tracked