The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Side Tracked

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ukulele Songs: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Wed September 25, 2013 4:59 am 
tl;dr

digster wrote:
I'll admit that more often than not I don't find these types of albums to be particularly enthralling (the guy in a room kind of thing)

Maybe that's just the difference; I tend to really like albums like this, across the board, though usually they're more compelling when you're already accustomed to hearing the artist in a band setting. As much as I love music that uses the studio as a tool for exploring different avenues of creative expression, I have an equal passion for music that just reduces songs to their bare essences--chords, words, melodies, take 'em or leave 'em for what they are, or what the singer is capable of making them with as few tools as possible. I can see viewing the doubletracked ukulele as kind of tacky, but apart from that I think the overdubs are used appropriately sparingly--I think there are much more heavily overdubbed "solo" albums than this one (Johnny Cash's "American" albums are the first ones that come to mind) that are able to incorporate what are obviously non-live accompaniments (some of the arrangements for those Cash albums were recorded years after he was dead) without forsaking the feel of a guy sitting on a stool in front of a microphone, paging through a book of songs and playing whatever feels right, even if he only remembers a verse or two of it (which is kind of how I feel about the standards included here).

For what it's worth I think "Dream a Little Dream" is Eddie's best vocal on record since "Man of the Hour."

PostPosted: Wed September 25, 2013 6:01 am 
Poster of the Year

theplatypus wrote:
Also, I feel like Ed's present-day vocal tics are particularly unnerving in these recordings. I find "You're True" really hard to listen to.

Agreed on both of your posts. I like this record, but it could have been so much better if it was just a mastered version of the demo album he passed around to his friends circa 2001.

PostPosted: Wed September 25, 2013 12:27 pm 
tl;dr

Do all those demos circulate?

PostPosted: Wed September 25, 2013 12:37 pm 
Future Drummer

cutuphalfdead wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
Also, I feel like Ed's present-day vocal tics are particularly unnerving in these recordings. I find "You're True" really hard to listen to.

Agreed on both of your posts. I like this record, but it could have been so much better if it was just a mastered version of the demo album he passed around to his friends circa 2001.

Same here. There was less performance in the vocals and less bells and whistles, they had a depressing singing alone to himself quality which really works for the songs. Just one dude trying to reassure himself with a ukulele.

I love that one man in a room with his guitar kinda thing, and unfinished song sketches for that matter, i bet eds got a shit ton of tossed off demos that i'd love.

PostPosted: Wed September 25, 2013 1:10 pm 
The worst

Kevin Davis wrote:

I believe bit and pieces of that have circulated. But not the whole thing in its entirety.

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed September 25, 2013 1:28 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Somehow I never got around to listening to this.

PostPosted: Wed September 25, 2013 1:31 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

bada wrote:

I listened to 4 songs on grooveshark a while back. Put them on my playlist twice in the morning and spun through them again in the afternoon just to see if anything had changed.

Wasn't impressed. Didn't buy.

PostPosted: Wed September 25, 2013 1:44 pm 
The worst

bada wrote:

sleeping by myself and without you are excellent. The rest of it is a niche listen for me. Or it was. It's been well over a year since I've gone back to this. Probably more. I just don't think the songwriting here is that good (with the above exceptions). Some of the covers are nice

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed September 25, 2013 1:48 pm 
Future Drummer

I like goodbye the best.

PostPosted: Wed September 25, 2013 2:47 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Revolver wrote:
I remember vividly one night where I sat on my balcony, smoked a pack of cigarettes, drank about 16 Pabst Blue Ribbons and listened to Ukulele Songs at least three times because I was depressed about a relationship coming to an end. I was being an emo bitch. That said, the album stills holds a special place in my heart. "Sleeping By Myself" has always been one of my favorites, and I'm dreading the song being massacred on Lightning Bolt.

It came out at the same time as my relationship was in a pretty rocky place as well. I don't know how to say it other than the cliched, "the album spoke to me." Between that and finding "We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things." around the same time, I listened to those two albums over 20 times each in the span of a month.

PostPosted: Wed September 25, 2013 3:03 pm 
The Master

Broken Heart is sublime on this.

PostPosted: Wed September 25, 2013 3:42 pm 
Poster of the Year

stip wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

I believe bit and pieces of that have circulated. But not the whole thing in its entirety.

Stip is right. Very little has circulated.

PostPosted: Wed September 25, 2013 4:30 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

McParadigm wrote:
bada wrote:

I listened to 4 songs on grooveshark a while back. Put them on my playlist twice in the morning and spun through them again in the afternoon just to see if anything had changed.

I probably should give it a chance but I have a hard time getting up for an album full of songs played on a ukulele. One or two maybe but an entire album seems unnecessary.

stip wrote:
bada wrote:

sleeping by myself and without you are excellent. The rest of it is a niche listen for me. Or it was. It's been well over a year since I've gone back to this. Probably more. I just don't think the songwriting here is that good (with the above exceptions). Some of the covers are nice

I'm kinda glad I skipped it since Sleeping By Myself will be a new song for me and that seems to be the song from Uke Songs people enjoy so I'm hoping the LB version will go over well for me.

PostPosted: Wed September 25, 2013 4:46 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

bada wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
bada wrote:

I probably should give it a chance but I have a hard time getting up for an album full of songs played on a ukulele. One or two maybe but an entire album seems unnecessary.

stip wrote:
bada wrote:

I'm kinda glad I skipped it since Sleeping By Myself will be a new song for me and that seems to be the song from Uke Songs people enjoy so I'm hoping the LB version will go over well for me.

I'll be really interested in your opinion on it, as it's fresh to you.

PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2013 4:50 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

I'll throw it on every now & then. Some are certainly stronger than others but Without You inevitably gets repeated the most. Sleeping By Myself, Longing to Belong and Light Today are others I like too. I'm curious how the full band Sleeping will work, I like it as now. Without You though would have been my choice if they had to rework one.

PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2013 7:56 pm 
tl;dr

I'm always surprised to hear "Without You" singled out as among the few tracks people like on this album. I think it's one of the weakest songs on the CD.

Last edited by Kevin Davis on Sat September 28, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2013 7:58 pm 

Kevin Davis wrote:
I'm always surprised to hear "Without You" singled out as among the few tracks they like on this album. I think it's one of the weakest songs on the CD.

The intro of that song might be my favourite part of the album. I wish he'd return to it later on.

PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2013 8:02 pm 
tl;dr

harmless wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
I'm always surprised to hear "Without You" singled out as among the few tracks they like on this album. I think it's one of the weakest songs on the CD.

The intro of that song might be my favourite part of the album. I wish he'd return to it later on.

I think that's what bugs me about the song--it starts off beautiful but kind of loses the plot melodically. Same problem I have with "Sirens," actually. It's almost becoming a touchstone of Ed's latter-day writing.

PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2013 8:03 pm 

Kevin Davis wrote:
harmless wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

I think that's what bugs me about the song--it starts off beautiful but kind of loses the plot melodically. Same problem I have with "Sirens," actually. It's almost becoming a touchstone of Ed's latter-day writing.

MYM too :lol:

Meh, I can see it, but it doesn't destroy my enjoyment. I just wish I could be in the room when he writes these songs so I can say REPEAT THAT... OVER THERE. YES, THERE.

PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2013 8:26 pm 
Rank This Poster

Besides arguably Can't Keep, I think the best song on here is Without You and it's not really close. Certainly among the original compositions, at least.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Side Tracked