Switch to full style
When a band is but a fraction of Pearl Jam, but they aren't zero Pearl Jam.
Post a reply

I would give Earthling

5 stars
11%
4 stars
52%
3 stars
20%
2 stars
8%
1 star
4%
0 stars
5%

Total votes : 109

Re: Eddie Vedder - Earthling

Sat January 22, 2022 4:33 am

I can't believe this was real. I'll take The Haves.

Sat January 22, 2022 5:01 am

I wonder if Mike Watt created the haves for Tim Burton directed remake of Juliet and Romeo that was scrapped sold it to the Watt kid who then shopped it to The Week End who then passed on it.

Sat January 22, 2022 5:12 am

What an odd remark

Sat January 22, 2022 8:30 am

CDM is better than The Haves.

Sat January 22, 2022 9:42 am

CDM is at least funny

Sat January 22, 2022 11:09 am

Jorge wrote:"Why don't you know that I know
When you're hurting after all these years, I know
Like Siamese twins
I can feel every one of your senses
We're just the same
Unconditional love, easier said
Said than done"

Come on. If you want to focus on the lyrics and make that the only prism through which you judge the songs, okay, then look at the execution rather than just motioning vaguely at the sentiment. This is trash

why don't you know that we know, Jorge?

Sat January 22, 2022 12:19 pm

I have never felt so solidly worried for Pearl Jam’s future than now. It could just be misplaced due to directions Eddie Vedder is taking with his solo career but when you combine that short maybe month period where Vedder released The Haves as a single and then announced a short tour where you had to be a Have just to enter the lottery to possibly be chosen for a ticket that would cost nearly $500 for a pair of tickets, it seemed like this was the breaking point. Brother the Cloud might have very short term relaxed some of that anxiety but I feel less hopeful that the same person who is putting the kind of shine on Eddie that grocery stores put on their apples to make them look tastier than they are is going to produce a Pearl Jam record is deeply concerning.

At least Can’t Deny Me tried even if it failed.

Sat January 22, 2022 2:00 pm

liebzz wrote:I have never felt so solidly worried for Pearl Jam’s future than now. It could just be misplaced due to directions Eddie Vedder is taking with his solo career but when you combine that short maybe month period where Vedder released The Haves as a single and then announced a short tour where you had to be a Have just to enter the lottery to possibly be chosen for a ticket that would cost nearly $500 for a pair of tickets, it seemed like this was the breaking point. Brother the Cloud might have very short term relaxed some of that anxiety but I feel less hopeful that the same person who is putting the kind of shine on Eddie that grocery stores put on their apples to make them look tastier than they are is going to produce a Pearl Jam record is deeply concerning.

At least Can’t Deny Me tried even if it failed.

Gigaton is great and they killed it at their live shows last fall. They'll be fine.

Sat January 22, 2022 3:55 pm

Ed has always had some interesting musical tastes. There’s a reason this is a solo record and not a Pearl Jam record.

But all these guys are pushing 60. I don’t know how much more of a future they have because of that.

Sat January 22, 2022 4:14 pm

Is this album out now?

Sat January 22, 2022 4:41 pm

Jorge wrote:There is one chord in "The Haves" that I like. It's like the one inspired change in the song. It's right after "it's so easy to be wanting"

I think its just a D. I'm not sure I'm in the right place you mean. I'm not listening to it again.

Sat January 22, 2022 6:41 pm

The Haves has grown on me a little, I don’t dislike it as much. I heard Brother the Cloud on the Sirius channel and enjoyed it one the first listen.
No doubt I will buy the record but how much I play it is very much wait and see.

Sun January 23, 2022 12:25 am

Ugh, I can’t believe you’ve got me thinking about this.

This is like a reverse Sophie’s Choice. I’ll take The Haves over CDM. It’s less grating. Ed sounds like he’s going to shit himself on CDM.

CDM strikes me as far more disingenuous and lazy than The Haves. I get the sense that Ed is genuine about what he’s trying to express in The Haves, he just fails miserably at it for all the reasons others noted here. Ed is trying to put effort and soul into The Haves. CDM is a soulless abomination. It comes off as the band reluctantly making a song because they think they have to.

Sun January 23, 2022 12:31 am

Fattie_Vedder wrote:Ugh, I can’t believe you’ve got me thinking about this.

This is like a reverse Sophie’s Choice. I’ll take The Haves over CDM. It’s less grating. Ed sounds like he’s going to shit himself on CDM.

CDM strikes me as far more disingenuous and lazy than The Haves. I get the sense that Ed is genuine about what he’s trying to express in The Haves, he just fails miserably at it for all the reasons others noted here. Ed is trying to put effort and soul into The Haves. CDM is a soulless abomination. It comes off as the band reluctantly making a song because they think they have to.

Yeah this is my take too. I’ll take genuine shit over fake shit any day.

Sun January 23, 2022 12:57 am

I don't think CDM is disingenuous or fake as much as it is just a misfire that didn't have anything to say.

Sun January 23, 2022 12:57 am

It's also slightly better than people remember

Sun January 23, 2022 1:01 am

yeah, i think the main reason everyone hates it is because it was a lead single for an album that ultimately didnt happen.

Sun January 23, 2022 1:04 am

VinylGuy wrote:yeah, i think the main reason everyone hates it is because it was a lead single for an album that ultimately didnt happen.

I can assure you that no one hates it for this reason.

Sun January 23, 2022 1:06 am

stip wrote:It's also slightly better than people remember

Lol no, it’s actually a little worse every time I hear it

Sun January 23, 2022 1:08 am

VinylGuy wrote:yeah, i think the main reason everyone hates it is because it was a lead single for an album that ultimately didnt happen.

I don't hate it because the album didn't happen. I hate it because it was completely uninspiring after a long 5 year wait from what i deem to be the worst Pearl Jam album.

For the first time in my life it made me feel like the band was more or less done putting out anything interesting or even remotely challenging...its associating that "feeling" with CDM more than almost anything else that makes me just hate it.

The Haves on the other hand is just low stakes to me. Not liking it doesn't really mean anything.
Post a reply