The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 437 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lana Del Rey is better than Radiohead
PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2019 7:54 pm 
Production Police

Yes but I'm better looking than ScarJo

PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2019 8:03 pm 
Rank This Poster

"Detached" and "hollow" is exactly what she's going for.

PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2019 8:07 pm 
Production Police

I think it worked much better on her first album, with the cool synth vibes. I haven't heard much between then and now, but this new more organic record suffers because of it.

PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2019 8:08 pm 
Rank This Poster

You're wrong. As usual.

PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2019 8:10 pm 
Production Police

What are some other times I've been wrong?

PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2019 8:23 pm 
Rank This Poster

Chiropractic care, supplements, white America's views on immigrants, apples, Apple and marijuana's impact on road deaths come to mind.

PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2019 8:27 pm 
Rank This Poster

Also you're a 12-step guy, so you're a mindless droog.

PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2019 8:30 pm 
Production Police

run2death wrote:
Chiropractic care, supplements, white America's views on immigrants, apples, Apple and marijuana's impact on road deaths come to mind.

Wrong
Wrong
I'll cop to making some error in judgement there vis-a-vis the 2016 election
Not sure what you're talking about
Not sure what you're talking about
Perhaps

run2death wrote:
Also you're a 12-step guy, so you're a mindless droog.

lol you got me

PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2019 8:32 pm 
Rank This Poster

I don't like you
I don't like you
I don't like you
I don't like you
I don't like you
I don't like you

PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2019 8:34 pm 
Rank This Poster

I don't like you

PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2019 9:03 pm 
Production Police

run2death wrote:
I don't like you

:heartbeat:

PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2019 9:09 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
I find Lana Del Ray to be just like Scarlett Johannsen's character in The Man Who Wasn't There: She sings the right notes at the right times, and she does a fine job of mimicking whatever sound she's going for, but there's an inherent falseness or hollowness to everything that I find inescapable.

Did you read the link I posted? It sums up her art/artifice in compelling way, I think. To me (having not heard the album yet, and so having no opinion on the writer's take there) the critic absolutely nails what Lana is all about and why she's completely brilliant.

But if the her thing doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you. Obviously, it works on me like a fucking charm. :heartbeat:

PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2019 9:25 pm 
Production Police

durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
I find Lana Del Ray to be just like Scarlett Johannsen's character in The Man Who Wasn't There: She sings the right notes at the right times, and she does a fine job of mimicking whatever sound she's going for, but there's an inherent falseness or hollowness to everything that I find inescapable.

Did you read the link I posted? It sums up her art/artifice in compelling way, I think. To me (having not heard the album yet, and so having no opinion on the writer's take there) the critic absolutely nails what Lana is all about and why she's completely brilliant.

But if the her thing doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you. Obviously, it works on me like a fucking charm. :heartbeat:

Thanks, just read it.

Quote:
Norman Fucking Rockwell! is yoga music for the apocalypse.
:haha: I love this.

I find this part really compelling:

Quote:
Again and again, Norman Fucking Rockwell! comes back to that idea — of the corroded American dream, and of the way we’re all ignoring the signs that it was always a lie.

This makes great sense within the context of her creative arc. But still, sometime about this album feels especially hollow to me...I can't quite put my finger on it...

Quote:
Del Rey recorded most of Norman Fucking Rockwell! with noted pop-star whisperer Jack Antonoff
Ah. There it is. I can't think of a single Antonoff song I've enjoyed; I'm convinced he's one of the very worst producers to ever have a real go of it. Everything he touches feels like it was written for a Girls montage, with all the commercial goals of your typical pop producer, but with none of the heart. There's an inauthenticity to everything he does...I can hear it better than I can write about it, but I know it when I smell it. If that makes sense.

PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2019 9:58 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Gotcha. I think that makes sense. Obviously, I don't agree but I get what you're saying, I think. And I appreciate you taking the time to read the review. To me (Antonoff aside) it really captures the essence of the Del Rey mystique and persona. You pointed out a couple of great examples. I think even if this record isn't one's taste, reading what the writer says about Del Rey gives tremendous insight and helps elevate her entire body of work.

She has so much depth and artistry and I think it's lost on some people -- especially casual listeners. Do you like any of her other stuff, trag? Setting his new record aside, do you enjoy her earlier stuff at all?

PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2019 9:59 pm 
Production Police

durdencommatyler wrote:
Gotcha. I think that makes sense. Obviously, I don't agree but I get what you're saying, I think. And I appreciate you taking the time to read the review. To me (Antonoff aside) it really captures the essence of the Del Rey mystique and persona. You pointed out a couple of great examples. I think even if this record isn't one's taste, reading what the writer says about Del Rey gives tremendous insight and helps elevate her entire body of work.

She has so much depth and artistry and I think it's lost on some people -- especially casual listeners. Do you like any of her other stuff, trag? Setting his new record aside, do you enjoy her earlier stuff at all?

I tried with all my might to hate her first album, but I just couldn't -- it was really good. I didn't hear anything since then that I can think of though.

PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2019 10:00 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

For the record, I'm listening to the album front to back right now. It's my first time through and I'm completely in love with it. I think this will settle as either #1 or #2 on my LDR list. But it's too early to say for sure. First impression is that this is a masterpiece (for me) and a record I'm SO looking forward to returning to again and again.

PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2019 10:01 pm 
Production Police

durdencommatyler wrote:
For the record, I'm listening to the album front to back right now. It's my first time through and I'm completely in love with it. I think this will settle as either #1 or #2 on my LDR list. But it's too early to say for sure. First impression is that this is a masterpiece (for me) and a record I'm SO looking forward to returning to again and again.

:thumbsup: I'll give it another try later this week. The weather is perfect for this sort of music.

PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2019 10:01 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I tried with all my might to hate her first album, but I just couldn't -- it was really good. I didn't hear anything since then that I can think of though.

:lol:

Cool. I'm glad you dig at least some of her other stuff. I think she's just such a breath of fresh air in Pop music.

PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2019 10:03 pm 
Production Police

durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

:lol:

Cool. I'm glad you dig at least some of her other stuff. I think she's just such a breath of fresh air in Pop music.

There's a post-modern self-awareness that I immediately found off-putting when she exploded onto the scene, but the strength of the music won me over. But so far I'm not finding that's working again with this album.

PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2019 10:06 pm 
Production Police

For me, post-modern art always walks a fine line between "destroys conventions" and "trying too hard." Consider Ed Ruscha.

The Los Angeles County Museum on Fire is amazing!

Another Hollywood Dream Bubble Popped is not.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 437 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands