The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106  Next
 Post subject: Re: RIP Chris Cornell 1964 - 2017
PostPosted: Mon September 06, 2021 11:49 pm 
Banned from the Pit

I saw Audioslave in 2005

I saw Chris solo in 2007 at the Phoenix in toronto. I was second row. That is still one of the best concerts I have seen. I got the main setlist that Chris was using. It has his boot scuff on it. It was the first time he played Say Hello 2 Heaven in a long time. He had goosebumps singing it.

I saw him twice on the Songbook tour. I loved those shows

I saw Soundgarden 4 times during the reunion tour. In the pit at Molson Amp. At the Phoenix... which I still can't believe they played there. I was super close for that. And the back to back nights at Sound Acaedmy in Toronto.

I miss Chris and Soundgarden so much. It still pains me to think about it.

PostPosted: Tue September 07, 2021 7:20 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Higher Truth

On the last of Chris Cornell’s studio albums, he finds this sweet spot stripped down and capitalizing on the intimate sound in Songbook, but with a full band to soar when he needs to. I think this space is exceptionally good for him in this stage of his career, his voice towering over, but not with his traditional howl. He’s controlled in delivering what feels like a melancholic album. The explosion in the second half of Wrong Side is maybe my favorite moment, which seems to have built from the entirety of the album. In addition to that, I really enjoyed Nearly Forgot My Broken Heart, Dead Wishes, Before We Disappear, Murderer of Blue Skies, Higher Truth, Let Your Eyes Wander, Circling, and Our Time in the Universe (which really reminded me of latter day U2). Maybe it’s context, but Chris Cornell seems to find the vehicle for his space of being lost, a sad foreshadowing.

PostPosted: Tue September 07, 2021 7:39 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

This is one is super tricky for me.
In paper it should be awesome...but i kinda hated it when it came out. Didnt cared much and felt like O Brien´s production kinda ruined everything. With time i began to appreciate it more and after he died i came back more often to discover a really good album, and a welcome addition to his catalogue.

I agree with Nearly Forgot My Broken Heart. What a wonderful little song. Its so fucking good.

PostPosted: Tue September 07, 2021 9:56 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Worried Moon is a tear jerker.

PostPosted: Tue September 07, 2021 11:34 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Also a huge fan of this phase.
Cornell solo tours are always wonderful, there is a great bootleg from 99, i think denver? with Chris and the band.
Then 2008, with his rock band and Chris doing songs from all the eras, and then the Songbook tour, which it was as intimate as it can get.

I was super lucky to see him in 2008 in a big venue, in 2011 twice at a small theatre and in 2016 in the great teatro colon, here in Argentina.

It was always magical.

For some weird reason, i never cared much for the Songbook album...maybe because of the setlist? not sure.

The fades really detract from Songbook. The performances are mostly great but I tend to throw on a bootleg simply for cohesion.

I first saw Cornell in '07, TLA in Philly and the band held their own and he sounded stellar but the two solo acoustic performances I caught in New Haven ('13) and Ridgefield ('11) were really somethin' else. Ridgefield is such a small room, he completely took it over.

I agree with this, but I am in favor of a single show, warts and all. It gives you the feel for the momentum of the live show rather than what feels like greatest hits (and I am looking at a deluxe version but why two Can’t Change Me’s?)

I also much prefer full shows letting it all hang out but that could surely be a more difficult product to sell, in the 80-minute album era anyway.

Did not realize the New Haven show was essentially a benefit:

WPLR wrote:
The show at The Shubert Theatre was a sellout. Every dollar of every ticket sold that night went towards The Chris and Vicky Cornell Foundation, and a portion of the sales also benefited The ChildHaven’s Creative Music Therapy Program. Chris Cornell was all about giving back.

Silence The Voices
Can’t Change Me
I Am The Highway
You Know My Name
Original Fire
Wide Awake
Billie Jean
All Night Thing
Outshined
Sunshower
I Live In Water
Halfway There
Fell on Black Days
Seasons
The Day I Tried To Live
One/One
When I’m Down
Man of Golden Words / Comfortably Numb
Wooden Jesus
Call Me A Dog
Hunger Strike
Like A Stone
Folsom Prison Blues
Doesn’t Remind Me
Sweet Euphoria
Blow Up The Outside World
Thank You
Be Yourself
Black Hole Sun
A Day In The Life

Last edited by oasisfan35 on Wed September 08, 2021 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed September 08, 2021 12:06 am 
Major Dude

Black Hole Song

PostPosted: Wed September 08, 2021 12:12 am 
The Master

Man, I just could never fall in love with Cornell live.

PostPosted: Wed September 08, 2021 12:36 am 
Broken Tamborine

Technical Ecstasy wrote:
I saw Audioslave in 2005

I saw Chris solo in 2007 at the Phoenix in toronto. I was second row. That is still one of the best concerts I have seen. I got the main setlist that Chris was using. It has his boot scuff on it. It was the first time he played Say Hello 2 Heaven in a long time. He had goosebumps singing it.

I saw him twice on the Songbook tour. I loved those shows

I saw Soundgarden 4 times during the reunion tour. In the pit at Molson Amp. At the Phoenix... which I still can't believe they played there. I was super close for that. And the back to back nights at Sound Acaedmy in Toronto.

I miss Chris and Soundgarden so much. It still pains me to think about it.

me too dude...me too. I'm sure all of us here feel the same. Fuck.

PostPosted: Wed September 08, 2021 12:42 am 
Major Dude

Saw Soundgarden twice in ‘96. The first time was summer at Lollapooza. Second was their own tour in November. That was where I got the thumbs up from Ben.

PostPosted: Thu September 09, 2021 9:46 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Live From the Artists Den

This is probably my fourth or fifth try on this live album. Previously maybe made it a quarter of the way, in large part because Chris Cornell’s voice is really rough on this one. It could just be he could no longer nail those early songs at that point. On this listen, I got a lot more out of it, and made it all the way through(!). Actually, I think that they sound best here on the King Animal songs, perhaps because they are best within Chris’s range. He also sounds pretty good in the last half of the show. The band, for the most part, is pretty tight throughout, but you really get the sense for how good they are on By Crooked Steps, Non-state Actor, and of course anytime they have Rusty Cage in there it’s gonna be great. This may not be the best representation of their live power, but it keeps getting better as they move along. If only they had a better night for Cornell released instead.

PostPosted: Fri September 10, 2021 3:44 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

yeah, they had so much better shows than that one.

Still there is a lot to love there, specially coming from the band. They are wild.

PostPosted: Fri September 10, 2021 4:08 pm 

PostPosted: Fri September 10, 2021 4:09 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

I love Chris in the studio, and I think he sounds fantastic in an acoustic setting, but I've honestly never heard a Soundgarden show where he sounded good.

I saw him live with Totd, Audioslave and Soundgarden (reunion tour) and that's how I'd rank the shows. As much as I love Soundgarden the live show was really forgettable and Chris sounded bad.

PostPosted: Fri September 10, 2021 4:10 pm 

PostPosted: Fri September 10, 2021 4:10 pm 

Better Cornell live vocal official releases.

PostPosted: Fri September 10, 2021 7:53 pm 
A Return To Form

JuanHamm wrote:
I love Chris in the studio, and I think he sounds fantastic in an acoustic setting, but I've honestly never heard a Soundgarden show where he sounded good.

I saw him live with Totd, Audioslave and Soundgarden (reunion tour) and that's how I'd rank the shows. As much as I love Soundgarden the live show was really forgettable and Chris sounded bad.

Check out this, definitive, live version of "Beyond the Wheel". From 1993. Up until this point Chris was just nailing those vocals.

The last time I heard Chris sounding fantastic in a "live" situation was the "Self Pollution Radio" thing from January 1995. He blew out his voice in 95/96

PostPosted: Fri September 10, 2021 9:18 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

fyfe79 wrote:
JuanHamm wrote:

Check out this, definitive, live version of "Beyond the Wheel". From 1993. Up until this point Chris was just nailing those vocals.

The last time I heard Chris sounding fantastic in a "live" situation was the "Self Pollution Radio" thing from January 1995. He blew out his voice in 95/96

That's awesome. He really sounds amazing. I think the pace of that song really helps. A lot of Soundgarden's songs were done in multiple takes and seem basically impossible to sing live (Slaves and Bulldozers comes to mind. I don't think anybody in the world could pull off the transition from "Now I know why you've been taken" to "So bleed your heart out")

In the end I always end up back at the studio versions of Soundgarden songs.

PostPosted: Fri September 10, 2021 9:34 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Love this

PostPosted: Sat September 11, 2021 7:18 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

No One Sings Like You Anymore

The last of what I will cover in my Chris Cornell Journey will be this, a post-life release that seems to seek capitalization on his passing - mostly because there isn’t much reason or rhyme to it. Yes, it’s a batch of covers - many of which suited Chris in unexpected ways - Nothing Compares 2 U, Watching the Wheels, Showdown, and To Be Treated Rite the prime examples. Even still, covers like Patience, and You Don’t Know Nothing About Love feel more like a fish out of water. They are not bad per se, they don’t seem to fit. So it ends on a mixed bag, though he sounds mostly great even if the songs can be somewhat weird on him.

In the end, I would argue that Chris Cornell deserves the strong legacy he has - most of his output with his several bands was stellar, and his howl is each band’s signature in so many ways, even if he needed that collaboration to bring out his best. His solo work is mixed but whose really isn’t? Still, that voice…maybe the most powerful use of at least male vocals on a rock record…

PostPosted: Sat September 11, 2021 7:47 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

never listened to that covers album yet. Not sure why...maybe because he is gone? dont know.

Also, the song they released in the compilation after he died was incredible...its called When Bad Does Good, and im not sure if it was a part of something he was working on, but damn its so fucking good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands