The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 106  Next
 Post subject: Re: RIP Chris Cornell 1964 - 2017
PostPosted: Thu December 20, 2018 10:40 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

bodysnatcher wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
It is weird that Dave seemed to go from "cover of drumming magazines" to being almost entirely off the radar. I'm surprised he hasn't done more drum clinics and things of that nature, you'd think he'd be a good fit for that kind of thing.

Is there any suggestion that Pearl Jam and/or their management poisoned the well for the guy in the industry? I remember quotes from Brad drummer Regan Hagar being convinced that had happened with the first Brad album, though who knows if that's not just a bit of sour grapes/paranoia.

yeah, one would have thought, especially in the mid/later 90s, that any band trying to ape the "Seattle" thing would have snagged "Pearl Jam's drummer" instantly.

i wonder if there was some sort of legal agreement? seems far-fetched and odd, but who knows. he didn't seem to be one that would have been ready to step away and not be in a big rock band anymore. but maybe he just thought he'd never reach that peak again, so why try?

Like VG said above, he rehearsed with Guns n Roses for a while (circa '97 I believe) in the endless "working on Chinese Democracy" years but I don't think it was ever a permanent thing.

PostPosted: Thu December 20, 2018 10:41 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Birds in Hell wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
It is weird that Dave seemed to go from "cover of drumming magazines" to being almost entirely off the radar. I'm surprised he hasn't done more drum clinics and things of that nature, you'd think he'd be a good fit for that kind of thing.

Is there any suggestion that Pearl Jam and/or their management poisoned the well for the guy in the industry? I remember quotes from Brad drummer Regan Hagar being convinced that had happened with the first Brad album, though who knows if that's not just a bit of sour grapes/paranoia.

yeah, one would have thought, especially in the mid/later 90s, that any band trying to ape the "Seattle" thing would have snagged "Pearl Jam's drummer" instantly.

i wonder if there was some sort of legal agreement? seems far-fetched and odd, but who knows. he didn't seem to be one that would have been ready to step away and not be in a big rock band anymore. but maybe he just thought he'd never reach that peak again, so why try?

Like VG said above, he rehearsed with Guns n Roses for a while (circa '97 I believe) in the endless "working on Chinese Democracy" years but I don't think it was ever a permanent thing.

well we have our answer. he's obviously stupid.

PostPosted: Thu December 20, 2018 11:03 pm 
Production Police

didn't he dive into the Green Romance Orchestra thing pretty quickly? Which would make me think that he thought he could capitalize on his time in PJ by launching his own band. And then he probably just got sidetracked by...other stuff.

PostPosted: Thu December 20, 2018 11:22 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

tragabigzanda wrote:
And then he probably just got sidetracked by...other stuff.

PostPosted: Thu December 20, 2018 11:45 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

tragabigzanda wrote:
didn't he dive into the Green Romance Orchestra thing pretty quickly? Which would make me think that he thought he could capitalize on his time in PJ by launching his own band. And then he probably just got sidetracked by...other stuff.

i always got their name mixed up with Green Apple Quick Step, another seattle band

PostPosted: Thu December 20, 2018 11:46 pm 
Production Police

bodysnatcher wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

i always got their name mixed up with Green Apple Quick Step, another seattle band

i had that Monkey On Rico album! Didn't that Ty dude do some stuff with Stone later?

PostPosted: Thu December 20, 2018 11:51 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

tragabigzanda wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

i had that Monkey On Rico album! Didn't that Ty dude do some stuff with Stone later?

holy shit, good call. looked it up, and completely forgot that Stone had played drums in a band called Calm Down Juanita. there's not much about them online other than their wiki, but i believe i might have the cd at home. i recall liking a few songs on it. if i find it and if anyone is interested, i can rip it.

PostPosted: Thu December 20, 2018 11:55 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Birds in Hell wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
And then he probably just got sidetracked by...other stuff.

alert verb -

his BMI is 33.5

no wonder he is good at laying down phat grooves

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Thu December 20, 2018 11:56 pm 
Production Police

bodysnatcher wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

holy shit, good call. looked it up, and completely forgot that Stone had played drums in a band called Calm Down Juanita. there's not much about them online other than their wiki, but i believe i might have the cd at home. i recall liking a few songs on it. if i find it and if anyone is interested, i can rip it.

I don't remember a single song from that album, only that Stone played on a couple of them. I do know that I did NOT like Ty's vocal contributions to Stone's first solo record

PostPosted: Fri December 21, 2018 4:28 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Ty sang in Unhand Me from Bayleaf. I liked that song a lot.

It would have been nice to see Dave in GNR. He is way better than Ferrer.

PostPosted: Sat December 29, 2018 5:39 am 
A Return To Form

well shit, i never heard of that calm down juanita album before, i'm intrigued!
It doesn't seem to be available anywhere to buy so if you have that rip I shall be grateful for a copy please :)

PostPosted: Sat December 29, 2018 6:00 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

PM me

PostPosted: Sat December 29, 2018 6:00 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Sorry I mean don't

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 9:36 pm 
AnalLog

bune wrote:

Yeah, could be good.

looks like Stone is playing on Superunknown here:

and Mike Patton confirmed he'll be there too on vocals.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 9:55 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I hope to see all PJ there.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 10:03 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Stone asked hm to make it. Cool.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 10:45 pm 
AnalLog

Damn, my LA friends have a couple extras for this show & offered to me. Can't fly down there next Wednesday, fucking job..

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2019 6:17 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

So the tribute show is tomorrow...Matt is going to be there along with Taylor Hawkins, Perry Farrell, Gezze Butler and fucking Buzz Osborne...anyone know other guests?

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2019 8:10 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I AM THE HIGHWAY: A TRIBUTE TO CHRIS CORNELL JANUARY 16, 2019 – THE FORUM, LOS ANGELES

PERFORMANCES BY MEMBERS OF SOUNDGARDEN, AUDIOSLAVE AND TEMPLE OF THE DOG PLUS SPECIAL PERFORMANCES BY FOO FIGHTERS, METALLICA, RYAN ADAMS AND MORE

HOSTED BY JIMMY KIMMEL

TICKETS ON SALE FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 16 AT 10AM PST

CHRIS CORNELL: AN ARTIST’S LEGACY - CAREER-SPANNING ALBUM AND DELUXE BOX SET AVAILABLE NOVEMBER 16

14 November 2018 (Toronto, ON) - On Wednesday, January 16, 2019 Chris Cornell’s legacy and contribution to music history will be honoured with a star-studded concert event, I Am The Highway: A Tribute to Chris Cornell, at The Forum in Los Angeles. I Am The Highway: A Tribute to Chris Cornell will be an epic night of music, taking fans on an unforgettable journey through Chris’s legendary career and catalogue, with performances by members of Soundgarden, Audioslave, Temple of the Dog, plus special performances by Foo Fighters, Metallica and Ryan Adams and more.

The show is presented by Chris’s family and closest friends, with Jimmy Kimmel hosting the special night.

“We are honoured to have all these amazing artists and friends come together to pay tribute to and show their love and appreciation for Chris, his music and the mark he’s left on the world. We look forward to sharing this night with all the fans,” said Vicky Cornell.

Tickets will go on sale on Friday, November 16 at 10AM PST at https://www.ticketmaster.com/event/090055622670B858

The host committee includes Vicky Cornell, Tom Morello, Matt Cameron, Brad Pitt, Josh and Kathryn Brolin, Jimmy Kimmel, Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson, Courteney Cox, Kaley Cuoco, David Spade, John Carter Cash, Linda Ramone, Andrea & Paul Joseph, Cynthia Pett, Peter Berg, Sam and Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Marc Gurvitz & Julianne Phillips, Ron Laffitte, Michael Rapino, Brent Smith and Lisa Engel, Michele Bernstein, Patrick Whitesell, Scott Sartiano, Michael Cooper, Nicholas Karayiannis, Eric Esrailian, and Paul and Renee Haas.

In keeping with Chris’s vision to protect the world’s most vulnerable children, the evening will benefit the Chris and Vicky Cornell Foundation (chrisandvickycornellfoundation.org/) as well as The Epidermolysis Bullosa Medical Research Foundation (www.ebmrf.org), a nonprofit dedicated to raising funds and awareness for this painful and debilitating genetic disorder, a very personal cause that Chris cared deeply about and supported through his commitment to helping others.

On November 16, fans can celebrate the recorded legacy of musical icon and singer/songwriter Chris Cornell with the 17-track self-titled album, Chris Cornell, and a 64-track limited-edition deluxe box set (11 of them unreleased). The first release since his passing in 2017, the album will be released by Cornell’s wife, Vicky Cornell on behalf of The Chris Cornell Estate through Ume/Universal Music Canada, the country’s leading music company.

Chris Cornell commemorates his life and legacy not only as a singer, but as a poet and one of the most prolific writers and greatest voices of the modern rock era. Vicky, worked extensively with Chris’s bandmates and friends to compile a collection of material from the late artist’s expansive career, showcasing his contribution to music history with selections culled from the deep catalogs of his three influential bands— Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog and Audioslave— as well as songs from his solo career. She turned to producer Brendan O’Brien, who was a trusted partner to Cornell over the years and Jeff Ament who created the packaging for Chris Cornell.

http://www.umusic.ca/press-releases/i-am-the-highway-a-tribute-to-chris-cornell-january-16-2019-the-forum-los-angeles/

PostPosted: Wed January 16, 2019 6:34 am 
mXn

Got a buddy going who says Miley Cyrus and Adam Levine are on the bill.

Originally this sounded cool but now it seems way too convoluted. Leave it to Vicky Cornell to fuck up something good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 106  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands