The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 106  Next
 Post subject: Re: RIP Chris Cornell 1964 - 2017
PostPosted: Mon February 04, 2019 7:43 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Cornell's live voice always tightroped that line between great and disastrous

PostPosted: Mon February 04, 2019 7:46 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

well, his voice went really bad before their first tour and i think he had an operation after it finished.

I would say Chris´s voice went amazing after he finished the Revelation album.

PostPosted: Mon February 04, 2019 11:07 pm 
Stone's Bitch

when i saw audioslave on their first tour he sounded terrible.

then saw a few of his later solo shows and i nearly wept he sounded so good.

PostPosted: Tue February 05, 2019 12:47 am 
AnalLog

Yeah his solo tour in 2007 was when his voice really started to rebound (also the point at which he started adding those difficult-to-sing songs back in his repertoire, like Say Hello 2 Heaven, JCP, Slaves, etc). I heard him do Hunger Strike with Audioslave back in 2005 and it sounded painful, but it was exciting to hear it back in the mix nonetheless

PostPosted: Tue February 05, 2019 12:52 am 
jeeeesus relax already

I was shocked when he did all the SG songs in 2007 in his solo tour. JCP was a song i never thought he did again...and by the time he came back to SG he was at the top of his game.

Beyond The Wheel never sounded better.

PostPosted: Tue February 05, 2019 11:14 am 
A Return To Form

The other day I was driving around, and decided to put on the Temple of the Dog album. First time I've listened to it since....??? I know I haven't listened to it since Chris died. Once again, I'm just floored by his performance on this album. It really showcases his range. Listening to the album made me very appreciative, and very sad.

PostPosted: Tue February 05, 2019 6:24 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

ilpazzo wrote:
The other day I was driving around, and decided to put on the Temple of the Dog album. First time I've listened to it since....??? I know I haven't listened to it since Chris died. Once again, I'm just floored by his performance on this album. It really showcases his range. Listening to the album made me very appreciative, and very sad.

I was listening to the Singles soundtrack the other day and it felt eerie to listen to Seasons.

PostPosted: Tue February 05, 2019 7:25 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

ilpazzo wrote:

Temple Of The Dog was very special at the time, and it showcased how different Cornell was.

PostPosted: Wed February 06, 2019 5:44 am 
tl;dr

Listening to the 4CD comp that came out last year -- overall, Cornell's solo stuff was more miss than hit for me, but I absolutely love this song:

PostPosted: Wed February 06, 2019 8:32 pm 
known prankster

I put Carry On and Scream as his mid-life crisis albums. He was really getting back on form with King Animal, Higher Truth and all of those movie songs he recorded like Misery Chain.

PostPosted: Thu February 07, 2019 2:09 am 
AnalLog

lecherouslittlestump wrote:
I put Carry On and Scream as his mid-life crisis albums. He was really getting back on form with King Animal, Higher Truth and all of those movie songs he recorded like Misery Chain.

The version of Misery Chain on Higher Truth is probably the best song on the album. Something about it just stands out to me way more than the soundtrack version (probably less polish, little more raw vocal).

PostPosted: Thu February 07, 2019 2:30 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Ill try to listen to his solo albums sans EM, my favorite and do a little review here. Carry On will remain as his worst album ever i think.

PostPosted: Thu February 07, 2019 4:25 am 
tl;dr

Revelator wrote:
lecherouslittlestump wrote:

The version of Misery Chain on Higher Truth is probably the best song on the album. Something about it just stands out to me way more than the soundtrack version (probably less polish, little more raw vocal).

I could be talked into accepting "Misery Chain" as his single most accomplished song, though I have too many attachments to other songs to ever venture the claim on my own. It is an expertly crafted piece of work, musically and lyrically, with Joy Williams's harmonies really bringing out the corners and contours of the melody. I very much prefer it to the album version.

And "Scream" really is a staggeringly terrible album. I listened to it for the first time a few months ago. An absolute wreck -- so much potential wasted.

PostPosted: Thu February 07, 2019 2:32 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I listened to Carry On for the first time since...well, a long time.
Back when it came out, i was exited to see Chris doing a solo album. Audioslave´s Out Of Exile was a disappointment, I hadnt picked up Revelations and the band was gone.
I expected to hear a more fleshed out version of EM, maybe a little poppier, maybe a mix between all the elements Chris brought along Audioslave and his career and when i first listened to CO i kinda liked it....but with time pretty much all of this songs turned into nothing.
The production is horrible, slick, polished, awful. I honestly dont know what Steve Lillywhite did in these sessions, but the album sounds horrible really.
The band sound so fucking bored, most of the arrangements are dull and uninspired reaching to embarrassing moments in songs like Killing Birds, Poison Eye or Ghosts.

There a few gems though, No Such Thing has a cool bridge, and features a very cool Cornell performance. The Billie Jean cover is pretty good too...Arms Around Your Girl is pretty catchy, Safe and Sound and Finally Forever has that R&b flavor they hinted in Revelations, and Chris sound good too...Today is also a cool song, and of course You Know My Name is awesome, but it has nothing to do here.

I still think this is his low point, a really unfocused and bland album.

PostPosted: Thu February 07, 2019 4:53 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Most people say that about Scream but I agree with you: Carry On was just alright.

PostPosted: Thu February 07, 2019 5:30 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I appreciate Scream for what it is, a bold idea that didnt quite get there. There are a number of songs i like there, but i blame mostly on the result on Timbaland. His work there is awful, the beats are so simple and unimaginative its hurts.

But Part Of Me, Take Me Alive, Long Gone, Ground Zero and Scream...i like those.

PostPosted: Thu February 07, 2019 9:19 pm 
known prankster

Yeah Carry On is his worst just because it's so boring and bland.

Scream isn't great, but it's sort of like a car crash that you can't help watching. Plus Climbing Up The Walls and Take Me Alive are good songs.

PostPosted: Thu February 07, 2019 11:29 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

He just wasn't really suited for the singer/songwriter vibe.

PostPosted: Tue February 12, 2019 6:35 am 
AnalLog

Decided to start watching the Daniel Craig Bond movies again tonight and was pleasantly surprised when You Know My Name came on. It’s a CC song I always forget about but damn it’s a good song.

PostPosted: Tue February 12, 2019 1:26 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

yeah, You Know My Name is great. I love the bridge and David Arnold´s arrangements.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 106  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands