The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 106  Next
 Post subject: Re: RIP Chris Cornell 1964 - 2017
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:47 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Today is harder than yesterday. This sucks. I wish I hadn't read the details of the Ativan and phone calls.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:00 pm 
known prankster

PHATJ wrote:
The first Audioslave album has some great songs. Obviously Cochise is one. Show Me How to Live is awesome. Gasoline too. Those three to open the album... wow.

They were just a great rock band. They didn't change the earth, they weren't particularly deep and yeah they won't be held in the same esteem as Soundgarden or Rage. But if you just want to play some good rock music and turn it up loud, Audioslave is perfect for it.

First album is the best but there are some great tunes on the other two. Combine the best into one album and you've got a wonderful collection of music.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:13 pm 
The Master

lecherouslittlestump wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
The first Audioslave album has some great songs. Obviously Cochise is one. Show Me How to Live is awesome. Gasoline too. Those three to open the album... wow.

They were just a great rock band. They didn't change the earth, they weren't particularly deep and yeah they won't be held in the same esteem as Soundgarden or Rage. But if you just want to play some good rock music and turn it up loud, Audioslave is perfect for it.

First album is the best but there are some great tunes on the other two. Combine the best into one album and you've got a wonderful collection of music.

Agree. Part of me wonders how they would be regarded if they didn't carry the legacy/baggage of their previous bands.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:20 pm 
The worst

i liked OoE the best. i agree that the best moments on all 3 make a fine little album

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:20 pm 
Banned from the Pit

I was hoping Chris would solo tour again soon to B'ham so I could take my wife. Regret not going to the Tuscaloosa show a couple weeks back. Only time I got to see Cornell was Audioslave Montreux Jazz Fest 2005 in Switzerland. Gorgeous place, awesome fun show. My brother caught Wilk's drumstick. That was a perfect day.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:21 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

When I found myself willingly listening to Audioslave last night was when I realized I was binging too hard on the Cornell back catalogue.

Shadow on the Sun and I Am the Highway are decent I guess.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:24 pm 
AnalLog

Monkey_Driven wrote:
PHATJ wrote:

Agree. Part of me wonders how they would be regarded if they didn't carry the legacy/baggage of their previous bands.

I saw them on the first tour at the Paramount in Seattle. In the pit. One of the most intense, crushing rock shows I've ever witnessed. Think I ended up seeing them 4 times total. Being an angry college student from 2000-04 was a blast.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:34 pm 
Rank This Poster

swan wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
PHATJ wrote:

I saw them on the first tour at the Paramount in Seattle. In the pit. One of the most intense, crushing rock shows I've ever witnessed. Think I ended up seeing them 4 times total. Being an angry college student from 2000-04 was a blast.

I was never a huge Audioslave fan, but the one time I saw them live is one of my favorite concerts.

I saw them on that first tour in Detroit. We got there early and ended up right up against the stage, in front of Chris. It was a pretty small venue and they blew the roof off the place.

I couldn't have imagined back then that I would get to see Soundgarden and Temple of the dog live as well. I wish I had seen Chris solo, though. I should definitely catch Vedder next time he comes around.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:47 pm 
known prankster

His vocals seemed to take a hit throughout Audioslave but they were absolutely on point in the early rooftop gig at Letterman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3RRRFDynn8

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:04 pm 
Future Drummer

Personally I like Audioslave better than Soundgarden. I didn't used to know they were the same guy. I really love his vocals in Audioslave (I think Doesn't Remind Me might be my favorite) but I was not as big of a big fan of the way he sung in Soundgarden.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:18 pm 
Future Drummer

mikejasond wrote:
Personally I like Audioslave better than Soundgarden. I didn't used to know they were the same guy. I really love his vocals in Audioslave (I think Doesn't Remind Me might be my favorite) but I was not as big of a big fan of the way he sung in Soundgarden.

Audioslave is gay.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:41 pm 
Stone's Bitch

mikejasond wrote:
Personally I like Audioslave better than Soundgarden.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:56 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

bodysnatcher wrote:
Space Needle left in the dark tonight.

Good words, Ruddo.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:01 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I've also added this to the original post.

NOTE: The mods have discussed this thread and discussions of suicide and depression. We are not going to split off any mental health discussion because we think it's important for friends and fans who may be suffering from pain and depression or may have friends and family suffering to speak openly and not be forced to separate that pain and discussion from a discussion about Cornell. Please be respectful to our Red Mosquito family.

And if needed, the Suicide Hotlines are:
US 1-800-273-8255.
Australia 13 11 14

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:02 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Also, thank you, Tuolumne.

http://www.theskyiscrape.com/2017/05/ch ... thing.html

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:14 pm 
The worst

nice read :)

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:20 pm 
The worst

we would also like to encourage anyone who wanted to write a post for the main page to continue to do so.

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:06 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Has basecamp said anything yet?

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:16 pm 
Banned from the Pit

dprival78 wrote:
more details emerge

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/entert ... 101876200/

...According to the police report, Kirsten was in Cornell’s room about 11:30 p.m. Wednesday to help him fix his computer. Afterward, Kirsten gave Cornell two Ativan pills, “which victim takes for anxiety,” the report said.

At 12:15 a.m. Thursday, Vicky Cornell phoned Kirsten and asked him to check on her husband, “to see if he is allright because he did not sound like he is okay,” the report said. Vicky Cornell told the bodyguard her husband sounded “groggy and just kept saying, ‘I am just tired,’ and hung up the phone.”

Everything is making more sense. Such a fucking tragedy. What I don't understand is if Chris was already doped up on medication, why was his bodyguard giving him 2 more pills before bedtime? And anxiety medication late at night? I admit I don't know much about them, even though I have suffered from anxiety on rare occasions, mostly in my younger days (but I never medicated). I would have never imagined that Chris would need medication for anxiety. Crazy.

Now I understand why his bodyguard went to go check on him. It's kinda sad to think of how much time passed between Vicky calling his bodyguard, who was two doors down, and the medic arriving to untie the exercise band from around his neck and administer CPR. Maybe he was long gone when he busted down that bathroom door.

It's just so sad. I don't believe sober Chris would have entertained suicide. It'll go down as a suicide, but being so drugged up who knows where his mind was. Probably only a fragment of himself. Under these circumstances, it's impossible for me to say he wanted to kill himself. As more details come to light and stories are told from those around him, I don't personally believe he was suicidal, but this is my opinion. He was taking a potentially dangerous drug with some serious side effects at higher doses. Fucking prescription pills.

Biff Pocoroba wrote:
This one is staying with me much more than a typical celebrity death. Over a day later & my mind still wanders to Cornell. I can't imagine what's like for those close to him in real life.

I feel you, brother. It's why I came here to post, even though I haven't done so in a long time. SG's forum closed long ago, so I wanted to visit a place where I knew there were some people who really adored and loved Chris' music as much as myself. It truly feels like the death of a close family member. I'm still shocked and probably will be for a while.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:25 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I'm guessing even the best rock stars with the best help are pretty bad at following the directions on their prescription meds.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 106  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands