The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 106  Next
 Post subject: Re: RIP Chris Cornell 1964 - 2017
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:20 am 
Banned from the Pit

Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
Fuck me. It's frustrating seeing when things like this happen, and some of the media and even general public try to brush aside the mental health and suicide side of the story. These incidents should always open up the discussion. Many people often need help, and even those closest to them can be entirely clueless. Usually the reason it's so hard to open up and talk about it, is because of negative, narrow minded, opinions about depression. And there's that stigma around suicide; it's often (ironically) compared to weakness.

In recent years, I almost took my own life due to poor mental health. I was incredibly close. And if I didn't finally speak up about it and reach out for help at the last minute; I would've gone ahead with it. The thought that I almost left my family on their own (especially without answers), now chills me.

Chris Cornell was adored by so many people. He had a life that most of us could only dream of. But he would have probably given it all away in return for the ability to make the mental pain to stop, or to at least be able to call out for help. Who knows what was going on on his mind in recent years, weeks, days.

It's shattering. Robin Williams was shock enough, he was the funny guy right? Now Chris Cornell, someone who I'd thought had left the grunge era unscathed. He seemed to have a good life. Married, children, amazing music, and he really seemed to look after himself. Now this. You never know who is affected, or how deeply.

It can happen to anyone, and any point. It's an illness that can feel inescapable. If you feel the need to talk about your experiences, thoughts, feelings, etc. Please do so. If what happened to Chris can help someone speak out, and ask for help - then at least something good can be triggered from something so terrible.

Please respect the opinions and thoughts of others. This isn't a time or place for arguments or judgements.

I work within a health system - only within the last year have I moved into a position close to outpatient behavioral health. I dont deal with it directly, but I am closer than I ever was previously and I certainly have a new perspective and an appreciation for your perspective that I did not have a year ago.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:25 am 
AnalLog

Thank you, Sarge, daft, and Tj. Your beautiful words inspire.

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:32 am 
Future Drummer

oneway23 wrote:
Thank you, Sarge, daft, and Tj. Your beautiful words inspire.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:45 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

PHATJ wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
B wrote:
Apologies if Ruddo already posted this, but he wrote a great piece for the website.

http://www.theskyiscrape.com/2017/05/in ... rnell.html

Thanks b, no I didn't post it yet so you didn't classic b yourself

:lol:

Thanks for writing that, Ruddo.

I think I was just the first one to put something together. So many great thoughts and feelings about this in this thread. Great words from all of you...

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:58 am 
A Return To Form

daft twat wrote:
Q: "How can you be so sad about the death of a person you never knew?"

My answer: Since high school (I'm 40), I have spent more time listening to Chris than talking to my father, and he and I have a pretty good relationship. When a girl broke up with me, I went to Chris or Eddie or Scott (Weiland, not Stapp). When my dog died, when I was out of work, when I was inexplicably melancholy, whenever I was at my lowest, I went to them. When I'm running 20 miles, driving a thousand, or just sitting outside on a summer day, they're with me. Many of my happiest moments are being in the same building as them.

I just spent a Saturday night with Chris. He looked well and sounded amazing. Scott died the night before a concert I was going to. I'm down to one musical hero, and it fucking hurts.

Nicely said.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:05 am 
Stone's Bitch

Great job Ruddo.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:17 am 
Stone's Bitch

hey bodysnatcher anything going on at easy street tonight?

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:23 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

evenslow wrote:
Great job Ruddo.

Thanks man

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:32 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

B wrote:
Apologies if Ruddo already posted this, but he wrote a great piece for the website.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:39 am 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

That article was great. And I for one am glad this is opening up a discussion about depression and suicide that's actually being taken seriously in this thread vs. the OB Soundgarden thread where people are flinging shit at each other.

I apologize for posting a bunch of suicide referencing Soundgarden lyrics earlier, probably wasn't in the greatest taste. I'm working on a piece about Cornell for my own blog right now if anyone would actually care to read it later on.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:44 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Jammer XCI wrote:
That article was great. And I for one am glad this is opening up a discussion about depression and suicide that's actually being taken seriously in this thread vs. the OB Soundgarden thread where people are flinging shit at each other.

I apologize for posting a bunch of suicide referencing Soundgarden lyrics earlier, probably wasn't in the greatest taste. I'm working on a piece about Cornell for my own blog right now if anyone would actually care to read it later on.

I appreciate this post. And I'd like to read what you write about Chris.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:06 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Space Needle left in the dark tonight.

Good words, Ruddo.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:16 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
B wrote:

Thanks b, no I didn't post it yet so you didn't classic b yourself

:lol:

Thanks for writing that, Ruddo.

I think I was just the first one to put something together. So many great thoughts and feelings about this in this thread. Great words from all of you...

That was very well written. Thank you for sharing.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:13 am 
The Master

I'm still in shock

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:27 am 
10Club Complaint Department

It still seems surreal to me too.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:30 am 
The Master

Cranked soundgarden on the flight yesterday and felt nothing and was just confused.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:48 am 
AnalLog

Still no word from Eddie?

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:58 am 
Posting (live)

Lounge Lizard wrote:

And there doesn't need to be. Not everyone has to say something.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:03 am 
AnalLog

LetMeSleep wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:

And there doesn't need to be. Not everyone has to say something.

I'm sure there'll be ukulele song

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:10 am 
Broken Tamborine

Something I'd like to add, that churns me up a bit...

In recent years, probably since Carry On, I'd kind of felt that Chris had gone a bit 'soft'. As much as I still loved much of his material, I felt that a consequence of his finding domestic happiness was that he'd lost the fire. He'd swapped out songs about staring into the abyss for love letters to his wife and kids. The same can be said for modern Eddie Vedder, of course. And many other artists that mellow with age, settle into family life, etc.

And we as an audience have a tendency to resent that. We resent that they've found domestic bliss in a way as it denies us the ability as listeners to receive this raw art, written and composed by someone who is genuinely teetering right on the edge, not faking it. And the irony is that we all want happiness - of course we do. But at the same time, we still like to pull the curtain back from time to time - to listen to songs that take us to those dark places. Emotional tourism, I guess.

So, I suppose my point is that Chris' death has really hit home how frigging selfish we are (I am) for having that resentment of artists who no longer have the ability or inclination to write about the darkness. Chris found himself back in that place, and look what happens. Shit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 106  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands