Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: Foo Fighters

Thu August 01, 2013 8:51 pm

VinylGuy wrote:The color and the shape is my favorite from them.

I'd argue that TCATS is probably their best album on one level but it doesn't have the naïveté that makes the first so appealing for me. I like Nothing Left To Lose as the last of their decent pop/rock albums before they went further into modern rock territory.

Thu August 01, 2013 11:53 pm

"I'll Stick Around" and "Alone + Easy Target" are such a great tunes. Sadly I haven't liked anything they've done since TINLTL.

Fri August 02, 2013 12:33 am

Soma. wrote:"I'll Stick Around" and "Alone + Easy Target" are such a great tunes. Sadly I haven't liked anything they've done since TINLTL.

Yeah I love those singles. This is a Call is one of my all time favs too. If I was making a playlist it'd be mainly the first 3 albums too with a few singles after that era here and there. I did quite like 'These Days' form the latest album. I don't think the songwriting or production post Dave's QOTSA period really benefited the band though.

Fri August 02, 2013 12:35 am

I thought the last album was okay.

Fri August 02, 2013 12:40 am

Birds in Hell wrote:I thought the last album was okay.

So did I. It was their best in the last decade for sure. My ears struggle to enjoy the amount of guitar there is in these modern day FF's records. Maybe that's just a mastering issue though.

Fri August 02, 2013 12:44 am

Fuzzcharger wrote:

So did I. It was their best in the last decade for sure. My ears struggle to enjoy the amount of guitar there is in these modern day FF's records. Maybe that's just a mastering issue though.

I don't think I've ever thought an album needed less guitars in the mix. More! Always more!

Fri August 02, 2013 2:30 am

Birds in Hell wrote:
Fuzzcharger wrote:

I don't think I've ever thought an album needed less guitars in the mix. More! Always more!

O rly?

Fri August 02, 2013 2:49 am

I was actually pleasantly surprised with how well-employed the three guitars were on the last Foo Fighters album--there at least seemed to be a pretty concerted effort to write intertwining parts rather than just bashing away on identical ones. I thought it was a pretty decent album--it kind of falls apart about six songs in but the first half is pretty strong.

Fri August 02, 2013 2:59 am

Soma. wrote:"I'll Stick Around" and "Alone + Easy Target" are such a great tunes. Sadly I haven't liked anything they've done since TINLTL.

Alone + Easy Target is still probably my favorite FF song.

Fri August 02, 2013 3:55 am

daft twat wrote:
fishbob wrote:White Limo is my favourite Foo Fighters song by an absolute mile. Ultimate rockin out

They opened with it last time i saw them. I do wish there was a version with undistorted vocals.

Hell no, I wouldn't change a thing about the recording

Mon August 05, 2013 9:03 pm

i always thought of S/T as Dave's solo album (as somebody said, his way of putting nirvana behind himself) and TCATS as the first foo fighters album.

Mon August 05, 2013 11:18 pm

elliseamos wrote:i always thought of S/T as Dave's solo album (as somebody said, his way of putting nirvana behind himself) and TCATS as the first foo fighters album.

Agreed
To an extent that's absolutely true

Mon August 05, 2013 11:36 pm

Wasting Light was about as good of a record as you could expect from a clearly past it rock band. Foo Fighters fans are lucky in that respect. They also are a pretty finely tuned machine live, if you are into that sort of thing.

I will probably bump this thread and quote my above statement on Oct. 15

Mon August 05, 2013 11:44 pm

verb_to_trust wrote:Wasting Light was about as good of a record as you could expect from a clearly past it rock band. Foo Fighters fans are lucky in that respect. They also are a pretty finely tuned machine live, if you are into that sort of thing.

I will probably bump this thread and quote my above statement on Oct. 15

these guys are one of the best live shows i've seen.

Mon August 05, 2013 11:48 pm

Yeah, they try pretty hard.

Mon August 05, 2013 11:58 pm

The band is solid live but Dave is annoying as fuck with all the random screaming.

Tue August 06, 2013 1:43 am

I enjoyed their show a lot, even if none of them is a great great musician. I prefer Dave as a drummer but he is a nice frontmen as well.

Tue August 06, 2013 2:19 pm

theplatypus wrote:The band is solid live but Dave is annoying as fuck with all the random screaming.

yeah, but you can say that about most singers.

Thu August 08, 2013 10:18 am

I just downloaded this e-book 'complete' recording history of Dave Grohl and Foo Fighters. Looks excellent.

http://www.7corners.foofighterslive.com/

Thu August 08, 2013 5:46 pm

He was spotted back here in the DC suburbs last weekend with his family. Fingers crossed that he's come back to woodshed a new album.
Post a reply