The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Foo Fighters
PostPosted: Thu August 08, 2013 5:54 pm 
AnalLog

bune wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
The band is solid live but Dave is annoying as fuck with all the random screaming.

yeah, but you can say that about most singers.

wat

PostPosted: Thu August 08, 2013 5:58 pm 
A Return To Form

I used to be a die hard fan, with the peak taking place around There is Nothing Left to Lose (by far my favorite album from them). I have seen them about 10 times, second only to PJ. The FF I loved are long gone, so I basically am only interested in catching a show of theirs once every few years. I still think they are still a nice live act, but I have no desire to see them regularly. I know we are spoiled by PJ, but man, their setlists are so boring and predictable. They play the exact same songs every tour except for the 4-6 songs off of their new album.

PostPosted: Thu August 08, 2013 8:17 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Anyone know where the acoustic version of "my hero" where "he" is "she" is from?

PostPosted: Thu August 08, 2013 10:07 pm 
Gone

stonefury wrote:
I used to be a die hard fan, with the peak taking place around There is Nothing Left to Lose (by far my favorite album from them). I have seen them about 10 times, second only to PJ. The FF I loved are long gone, so I basically am only interested in catching a show of theirs once every few years. I still think they are still a nice live act, but I have no desire to see them regularly. I know we are spoiled by PJ, but man, their setlists are so boring and predictable. They play the exact same songs every tour except for the 4-6 songs off of their new album.

They play the same songs, which can be boring.....but those songs sound pretty tight. I'm not so sure an unrehearsed and sloppy Satan's Bed or something is really any better than that. Besides, how many "die hard" FF fans exist. Their audience consists of casual fans who want a hits setlist.

PostPosted: Thu August 08, 2013 10:51 pm 
Jeff's Infallible Pendulum

verb_to_trust wrote:
stonefury wrote:

They play the same songs, which can be boring.....but those songs sound pretty tight. I'm not so sure an unrehearsed and sloppy Satan's Bed or something is really any better than that. Besides, how many "die hard" FF fans exist. Their audience consists of casual fans who want a hits setlist.

What I noticed while looking over the last tour setlists is that they tend to alternate between 2 different setlists which are basically 95% the same anyway. They then substitute "mid tempo rocker X" for "mid tempo rocker Y" on various nights or whatever song they want to rotate to fit the flow. It's quite boring on paper but the last show I saw on the Wasting Light tour was pretty flawless but still very enjoyable. It was pretty much non-stop high energy stuff for 2 hours.

PostPosted: Fri August 09, 2013 2:35 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Soma. wrote:
bune wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
The band is solid live but Dave is annoying as fuck with all the random screaming.

yeah, but you can say that about most singers.

wat

It's just a pet peeve/generalization of mine.

PostPosted: Fri August 09, 2013 2:40 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

one by one i've been looking for something something never comes never leads to nothing nothing satisfies getting close closer to the priWAAAHHHHOHHHYEEEAAHHHH!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri August 09, 2013 3:52 pm 
A Return To Form

theplatypus wrote:
one by one i've been looking for something something never comes never leads to nothing nothing satisfies getting close closer to the priWAAAHHHHOHHHYEEEAAHHHH!!!!!

Spot on. :haha:

PostPosted: Fri August 09, 2013 4:38 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

stonefury wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

Spot on. :haha:

PostPosted: Fri August 23, 2013 3:47 am 
Jeff's Infallible Pendulum

One of those 'Worst-to-Best' type stories.

http://www.stereogum.com/1439872/foo-fighters-albums-from-worst-to-best/top-stories/lead-story/

No surprises with the top 3. One By One gets the rough end of the pineapple. Echoes, Silence..... and Skin and Bones are bottom of the pile for me.

PostPosted: Tue October 15, 2013 5:19 am 
A Return To Form

j's brain wrote:
ritchiem4812 wrote:
Seriously been digging Wasting Light a lot lately. The sound on this album is unreal.

It's a really good record. They haven't made a bad one, IMO. Let's rank them!

The Colour & The Shape
Wasting Light
There Is Nothing Left To Lose
One By One
Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace
Foo Fighters
In Your Honor (the "rock" album brings this down... acoustic is way better)

PostPosted: Sun October 27, 2013 11:35 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Dave Grohl is a fucking genius marketer. I haven't enjoyed a Foo Fighters album since The Colour and the Shape, but I bought every one. Now, after selling all my other albums and swearing off the purchase of another Foo Fighters album, I'm intrigued.

About the new album, Dave Grohl wrote:
“We haven’t really made it yet. We are still working on it, it’s written but the way we are going to record it… no one has really done it yet.”

PostPosted: Sun October 27, 2013 11:40 am 
The worst

if you very quickly write and record an album the way no one else has really done yet you're really going to mess up his camapign

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun October 27, 2013 1:06 pm 
AnalLog

Dave also stated that In Your Honor was their best album to date at the time of release. I sort of stopped paying attention to Foo Fighters after that. There's marketing, and then there's weirdo delusion.

PostPosted: Sun October 27, 2013 2:30 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Soma. wrote:
Dave also stated that In Your Honor was their best album to date at the time of release. I sort of stopped paying attention to Foo Fighters after that. There's marketing, and then there's weirdo delusion.

Reminds me of stuff RHCP said around By The Way. Personally, I prefer Californication and One Hot Minute. They just seemed to get the balance right between melody and heaviness/funk for me.

PostPosted: Mon October 28, 2013 4:57 pm 
tl;dr

Soma. wrote:

Is that delusion or is that just one of those things that every artist says about their new album at the time of its release?

PostPosted: Mon October 28, 2013 5:31 pm 
Rank This Poster

I think that's less calculating than most people would think. I think every song I've written, right after I finish it and play it through for the first time, is my best ever. It's only months later after the newness wears off that I discover it's true colors, as new material for the scrap heap.

PostPosted: Mon October 28, 2013 10:10 pm 
AnalLog

I think its less calculated when others state it as a knee-jerk reaction to having new material. Dave's entire promo was centered around it being their best work to date.

"I hear people ask "If I wanted to start somewhere with Foo Fighters, which record should I pick up? This one. This is the best record we've ever recorded."

Yeah, okay Dave. Shh now.
(paraphrasing)

PostPosted: Tue October 29, 2013 12:40 am 
Broken Tamborine

If they make another track as good as White Limo then I'll probably buy the new album

PostPosted: Tue October 29, 2013 2:42 am 
A Return To Form

Let's all laugh at Rangers wrote:
Anyone know where the acoustic version of "my hero" where "he" is "she" is from?

Is this what your looking for?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 60  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands