The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Foo Fighters
PostPosted: Sat February 06, 2021 4:03 pm 
Offline
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Sun January 26, 2020 12:10 pm
Posts: 3750
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Holding Poison is a groovy tune


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Foo Fighters
PostPosted: Sat February 06, 2021 5:42 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 7:55 pm
Posts: 3405
VinylGuy wrote:
Spotify knows better

Yes it does. I spent the rest of my music listening time yesterday on Down on the Upside.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Foo Fighters
PostPosted: Sat February 06, 2021 10:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:46 pm
Posts: 28692
its times like these you learn to live again

_________________
rage, rage against the dying of the light

:comp:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Foo Fighters
PostPosted: Sat February 06, 2021 10:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Major Dude
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 1:57 pm
Posts: 26830
Location: Where everybody knows your name
Dev wrote:
its times like these you learn to live again

Indeed it is, friend dev.

_________________
Let me tell you, Homer Simpson is cock of nothing!
- C. Montgomery Burns


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Foo Fighters
PostPosted: Tue February 09, 2021 9:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:41 am
Posts: 6191
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada

_________________
"I'll hold your wallet while you go fuck yourself"-David Letterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Foo Fighters
PostPosted: Thu February 11, 2021 1:40 pm 
Offline
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Sun January 26, 2020 12:10 pm
Posts: 3750
Location: Warwickshire, UK
they're a much tighter live act in 2021 than Pearl Jam


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Foo Fighters
PostPosted: Thu February 11, 2021 2:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Mon February 04, 2013 3:03 pm
Posts: 439
Now that you said that, do you guys often compare the two of them? I got a friend that whenever I mention Pearl Jam, he immediately take the conversation to the Foo court and try to convince me they are the better and more relevant band, and Im like, who the fuck cares! Is there a little cold war between the fans?

_________________
Do I eat them? Raw or well done?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Foo Fighters
PostPosted: Thu February 11, 2021 3:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 42158
Location: Different mountains than strat and bodysnatcher.
Ms Harmless wrote:
they're a much tighter live act in 2021 than Pearl Jam

Alt take: their live sets don’t sound one note different from their studio recordings and that is so fucking lame


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Foo Fighters
PostPosted: Thu February 11, 2021 3:59 pm 
Online
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 41237
Location: Buenos Aires
Don't they inject a bunch of random, meandering jams though? Or did they stop doing that after 2005, when I completely lost track of this band?

_________________
Anders wrote:
Human interaction is important. To love, to laugh, to feel joy, for some even friendship. These are important to life, and a vital part of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Foo Fighters
PostPosted: Thu February 11, 2021 4:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 42158
Location: Different mountains than strat and bodysnatcher.
Jorge wrote:
Don't they inject a bunch of random, meandering jams though? Or did they stop doing that after 2005, when I completely lost track of this band?

I’ve never seen that, but it’s entirely possible. I also don’t pay attention any more.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Foo Fighters
PostPosted: Thu February 11, 2021 5:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Major Dude
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 1:57 pm
Posts: 26830
Location: Where everybody knows your name
tragabigzanda wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
they're a much tighter live act in 2021 than Pearl Jam

Alt take: their live sets don’t sound one note different from their studio recordings and that is so fucking lame

But that is not true. They change arrangements (for better or worse) of some of their most popular tunes.

_________________
Let me tell you, Homer Simpson is cock of nothing!
- C. Montgomery Burns


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Foo Fighters
PostPosted: Thu February 11, 2021 5:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Major Dude
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 1:57 pm
Posts: 26830
Location: Where everybody knows your name
I just saw they’re nominated for the R&RHOF this year.

_________________
Let me tell you, Homer Simpson is cock of nothing!
- C. Montgomery Burns


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Foo Fighters
PostPosted: Thu February 11, 2021 5:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 42158
Location: Different mountains than strat and bodysnatcher.
wease wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
they're a much tighter live act in 2021 than Pearl Jam

Alt take: their live sets don’t sound one note different from their studio recordings and that is so fucking lame

But that is not true. They change arrangements (for better or worse) of some of their most popular tunes.

i know you've got a lot going on but please see my above post!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Foo Fighters
PostPosted: Thu February 11, 2021 5:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 25314
i saw them live two times, the first one was okey, but it was super had because of one of the biggest storms in Buenos Aires. The second one was kinda boring...3 hours, Grohl screaming....the did a cool medley and Dave Krusen came to play drums for Miss You so that was cool.
But i realized i dont need to see them again.

_________________
BONE FUCKIN´ TOMAHAWK.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Foo Fighters
PostPosted: Thu February 11, 2021 7:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Major Dude
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 1:57 pm
Posts: 26830
Location: Where everybody knows your name
tragabigzanda wrote:
wease wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
they're a much tighter live act in 2021 than Pearl Jam

Alt take: their live sets don’t sound one note different from their studio recordings and that is so fucking lame

But that is not true. They change arrangements (for better or worse) of some of their most popular tunes.

i know you've got a lot going on but please see my above post!

I’m taking it one post at a time.

And I’ve not seen them in 9 years so who the fuck knows what they even do nowadays?

_________________
Let me tell you, Homer Simpson is cock of nothing!
- C. Montgomery Burns


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Foo Fighters
PostPosted: Thu February 11, 2021 7:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:38 pm
Posts: 14341
I saw them once in 1998, during that period when Pat Smear had left and Franz Stahl was on guitar.

I don't remember much about it, though I recall they opened with an instrumental with both Dave and Taylor on drums and that was unexpected.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Foo Fighters
PostPosted: Thu February 11, 2021 7:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 25314
that guy and the original drummer...they were really treated like shit uh

_________________
BONE FUCKIN´ TOMAHAWK.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Foo Fighters
PostPosted: Thu February 11, 2021 7:25 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 7:55 pm
Posts: 3405
Granted I have seen the Foo Fighters 4 times to Pearl Jam’s 22(?), but their shows are very different animals. Pearl Jam’s sets are for lack of a better term, more organic. They tend to ebb and flow with the band and crowd playing off each other and don’t solely rely on repeated gimmicks (the call and response on some songs and the cell phones in the air from 2016-2018 are maybe the exceptions to this). Pearl Jam doesn’t play the same songs every night, and vary their set lists wildly.

Foo Fighters is more of a stage production. Dave Grohl is an excellent entertainer and plays off the everything is an epic anthem shtick for 3 hours. The running through the crowd at the exact same moment in the set to the stage in the middle, or the yells, or the various other histrionics are all choreographed. Makes for a tight show when there’s not much in variation. The songs do have different arrangements but the execution of those different arrangements are identical whether you see them in New York City or Salt Lake City. It’s meant to be that way. Pearl Jam shows are not. Pearl Jam’s sense of improvisation is not in the typical sense of a jazz band or the Grateful Dead (both things i hold dear), but more on sensing the moment and adjusting on the fly to maximize the experience of that particular night and not the live experience in the larger sense across years and tours. They live for that night, and when they move on to the next, it’s about what that next night brings.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Foo Fighters
PostPosted: Thu February 11, 2021 7:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:38 pm
Posts: 14341
Birds in Hell wrote:
I saw them once in 1998, during that period when Pat Smear had left and Franz Stahl was on guitar.

I don't remember much about it, though I recall they opened with an instrumental with both Dave and Taylor on drums and that was unexpected.

Hey, here's that dual drum intro from a show in Japan immediately prior to that Australian tour, pretty much exactly as I remember it:



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Foo Fighters
PostPosted: Thu February 11, 2021 7:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 42158
Location: Different mountains than strat and bodysnatcher.
liebzz wrote:

Foo Fighters is more of a stage production. Dave Grohl is an excellent entertainer and plays off the everything is an epic anthem shtick for 3 hours. The running through the crowd at the exact same moment in the set to the stage in the middle, or the yells, or the various other histrionics are all choreographed. Makes for a tight show when there’s not much in variation.

Yeah this feels right. Your mileage may vary, but I hate it.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anders, ED-209 and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Fri April 23, 2021 6:28 am