The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Foo Fighters
PostPosted: Thu February 11, 2021 7:49 pm 
Major Dude

tragabigzanda wrote:
liebzz wrote:

Foo Fighters is more of a stage production. Dave Grohl is an excellent entertainer and plays off the everything is an epic anthem shtick for 3 hours. The running through the crowd at the exact same moment in the set to the stage in the middle, or the yells, or the various other histrionics are all choreographed. Makes for a tight show when there’s not much in variation.

Yeah this feels right. Your mileage may vary, but I hate it.

As long as there’s some time between shows, I don’t mind it. As long as I dig the tunes, it’s a fun time.

PostPosted: Thu February 11, 2021 8:42 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

tragabigzanda wrote:
liebzz wrote:

Foo Fighters is more of a stage production. Dave Grohl is an excellent entertainer and plays off the everything is an epic anthem shtick for 3 hours. The running through the crowd at the exact same moment in the set to the stage in the middle, or the yells, or the various other histrionics are all choreographed. Makes for a tight show when there’s not much in variation.

Yeah this feels right. Your mileage may vary, but I hate it.

What it breaks down to is I have seen the whole big 3 hour show. It was fun. I don’t need to see it again.

Conversely, I will feel burned, slighted and experiencing massive FOMO if Pearl Jam is within shouting distance and I don’t go.

PostPosted: Thu February 11, 2021 11:42 pm 
Production Police

all the reviews for the new album seem to take a position of "This album isn't amazing, but that's ok, Grohl gets a pass because he's nice and he likes to rawk." wtf?

PostPosted: Fri February 12, 2021 3:40 am 
Gone

I don't like this. The best song is the na na na na one and it lasts a full minute too long

PostPosted: Fri February 12, 2021 3:46 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

liebzz hit the nail on the head about the stage show. That level of choreography masqueraded as spontaneity is horrid. They were my fav. band when I was 13, and I enjoyed seeing them on the One by One tour, but by In Your Honor I was well and truly over Dave's bullshit.

PostPosted: Fri February 12, 2021 3:57 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Ello Sailor wrote:
liebzz hit the nail on the head about the stage show. That level of choreography masqueraded as spontaneity is horrid. They were my fav. band when I was 13, and I enjoyed seeing them on the One by One tour, but by In Your Honor I was well and truly over Dave's bullshit.

I guess I didn’t mean it derisively. Every kid needs their Led Zeppelin, and hell, if it’s Dave Grohl and Foo Fighters, they could do a lot worse (I mean in a world of Greta Van Fleets).

As far as the live show goes, I do prefer a less choreographed experience though, so that comment doesn’t change.

PostPosted: Fri February 12, 2021 4:07 am 

I know you didn't mean it derisively, but I struggle to see how his routine could be classed as anything but completely fucking lame.

Last edited by Ello Sailor on Fri February 12, 2021 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri February 12, 2021 9:36 am 
A Return To Form

Foo Fighters are consistently the most merely competent big rock act I've seen.

PostPosted: Fri February 12, 2021 12:58 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

His routine got very tiresome yeah. I miss Dave circa 1997.

PostPosted: Tue March 09, 2021 12:30 am 
Banned from the Pit

https://youtube.com/watch?v=WZtVrTJ2ob4&feature=share

Admittedly the singers do a lot of the heavy lifting here, but this is pretty cool.

PostPosted: Tue March 09, 2021 2:36 am 
She / Her

it's weird how Dave is very much like Ed in that they both seem to enjoy being a rock star more than making great music much of the time, but somehow they do this in completely different ways and I can't describe them

PostPosted: Tue March 09, 2021 2:40 am 

Please get an avatar, Miss. There are too many of you now!

PostPosted: Thu June 17, 2021 7:56 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

This got past me. I'm adding this to my RSD wishlist.

https://pitchfork.com/news/foo-fighters ... -day-2021/

Quote:
Out July 17 as a limited edition vinyl album packaged era-appropriately in a dazzling rainbow mylar sleeve, HAIL SATIN is the bipolar party record of the summer. Side A features Grohl, Hawkins, Mendel, Smear, Shiflett and Jaffee lighting up the floor at Foo Fighters’ 606 studios with faithful renditions of five stone cold Brothers Gibb classics — Bee Gees bangers "You Should Be Dancing,” Night Fever,” “Tragedy” and “More Than A Woman" + Andy Gibb’s “Shadow Dancing” — while side B literally rocks the party with live at 606 renditions of roughly half of Foo Fighters pandemic panacea album MEDICINE AT MIDNIGHT.

The DEE GEES: HAIL SATIN was recorded entirely at 606. For optimal results, listen with exposed chest hair and little gold spoon necklace (If you know, you know…).

Side A — The DEE GEES:
You Should Be Dancing
Night Fever
Tragedy
Shadow Dancing
More Than a Woman

Side B — LIVE at 606:
Making A Fire
Shame Shame
Waiting on a War
No Son of Mine
Cloudspotter

PostPosted: Thu June 17, 2021 8:48 pm 
She / Her

Ello Sailor wrote:
Please get an avatar, Miss. There are too many of you now!

I'm always on my phone here and I don't see any avatars; *you* get an avatar!

PostPosted: Thu June 17, 2021 8:49 pm 
A Return To Form

Ello Sailor wrote:

Pretty much my take on it! Foo's were a great band between 1995-1997, loved the first two albums. The Brixton Academy '95 MTV show was just punk/grunge fun, and the Bizarre '97 show was also a fun spontaneous mid-festival slot. Both pro-shot shows which I watched to death as a teen.

It started to change for the worse with the 3rd album, and by the 4th, 'One By One', it was just theater. They're now a bloated mess - 3 guitarists? Some keyboard fella in the back? All the staged Dave shouts and roars, running around, extended meandering sections in songs? Nah.

These days, Foo's shows are to rock what Metallica shows are to metal. An excuse for event junkies to say they were 'there' at a massive rock/metal gig.

PostPosted: Mon June 21, 2021 5:34 am 
Champion of RM

I had a good time at MSG tonight. It was nice to be back at a concert. That's my fill of the FFs until their next album.

PostPosted: Tue June 22, 2021 3:57 am 
Future Drummer

fyfe79 wrote:
Ello Sailor wrote:

Pretty much my take on it! Foo's were a great band between 1995-1997, loved the first two albums. The Brixton Academy '95 MTV show was just punk/grunge fun, and the Bizarre '97 show was also a fun spontaneous mid-festival slot. Both pro-shot shows which I watched to death as a teen.

It started to change for the worse with the 3rd album, and by the 4th, 'One By One', it was just theater. They're now a bloated mess - 3 guitarists? Some keyboard fella in the back? All the staged Dave shouts and roars, running around, extended meandering sections in songs? Nah.

These days, Foo's shows are to rock what Metallica shows are to metal. An excuse for event junkies to say they were 'there' at a massive rock/metal gig.

Their blatant transformation from an excellent rock band into vapid stadium-rock generica is truly depressing.

PostPosted: Tue June 22, 2021 4:07 am 
Rank This Poster

B wrote:
This got past me. I'm adding this to my RSD wishlist.

https://pitchfork.com/news/foo-fighters ... -day-2021/

Quote:
Out July 17 as a limited edition vinyl album packaged era-appropriately in a dazzling rainbow mylar sleeve, HAIL SATIN is the bipolar party record of the summer. Side A features Grohl, Hawkins, Mendel, Smear, Shiflett and Jaffee lighting up the floor at Foo Fighters’ 606 studios with faithful renditions of five stone cold Brothers Gibb classics — Bee Gees bangers "You Should Be Dancing,” Night Fever,” “Tragedy” and “More Than A Woman" + Andy Gibb’s “Shadow Dancing” — while side B literally rocks the party with live at 606 renditions of roughly half of Foo Fighters pandemic panacea album MEDICINE AT MIDNIGHT.

The DEE GEES: HAIL SATIN was recorded entirely at 606. For optimal results, listen with exposed chest hair and little gold spoon necklace (If you know, you know…).

Side A — The DEE GEES:
You Should Be Dancing
Night Fever
Tragedy
Shadow Dancing
More Than a Woman

Side B — LIVE at 606:
Making A Fire
Shame Shame
Waiting on a War
No Son of Mine
Cloudspotter

Kinda bummed they let off how deep is your love

PostPosted: Tue June 22, 2021 5:00 am 
Gone

That side B is trash tho

PostPosted: Tue June 22, 2021 12:54 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
fyfe79 wrote:
Ello Sailor wrote:

Their blatant transformation from an excellent rock band into vapid stadium-rock generica is truly depressing.

yeah, it is. not only musically but also like everyone here said, the staged act. The music also took a very big dive.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 60  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands