The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Foo Fighters
PostPosted: Tue June 22, 2021 2:49 pm 
The Master

All this recent foopla got me thinking I should check out their latest album. Wow it’s bad.

I still like dave grohl though.

PostPosted: Tue June 22, 2021 3:57 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

i think i listened two songs and yeeesh

PostPosted: Tue June 22, 2021 5:13 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I haven’t listened to it since it came out, but all things considered, and I am an occasional Foo Fighters naysayer, I liked it - certainly much better than their last few albums. I’d have to go back to Wasting Light to find a Foo Fighters album I liked better. It’s nothing world beating or terribly groundbreaking but it has its moments and is at least not exactly regurgitated Dave Grohl rock.

PostPosted: Tue June 22, 2021 5:16 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

i dont think i paid attention after WL.

PostPosted: Tue June 22, 2021 6:15 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

VinylGuy wrote:
i dont think i paid attention after WL.

I mean, I guess I am giving them an “attaboy” slap on the back but that’s better than mere blah.

PostPosted: Tue June 22, 2021 10:04 pm 
A Return To Form

I liked the last album Concrete and Gold, but that's connected to playing it on a road trip through New Zealand, around the release date.

I also think the production is at least a bit interesting.

PostPosted: Wed June 23, 2021 9:19 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

this is the first FF song I've liked in many many years.

PostPosted: Thu June 24, 2021 11:45 pm 
Future Drummer

The problem with the Grohl and the Foos nowadays is there just happy be those guys bringing the rock. They haven't challenged themselves since There's nothing left to lose when they were a three piece and wanted to kill each other.

PostPosted: Fri June 25, 2021 12:43 am 
Rank This Poster

i like 'shame shame' and one of the songs on the album reminded me of bowie, but the foo fighters are who they are. i dont expect anything exciting from them except cool covers when they play live.

PostPosted: Fri June 25, 2021 12:49 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

Stickman wrote:
this is the first FF song I've liked in many many years.

I still can't.

I just can't

Once the vocals start I turn it right off. I can't help it

PostPosted: Fri June 25, 2021 12:51 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

i got bugs wrote:
B wrote:
This got past me. I'm adding this to my RSD wishlist.

https://pitchfork.com/news/foo-fighters ... -day-2021/

Quote:
Out July 17 as a limited edition vinyl album packaged era-appropriately in a dazzling rainbow mylar sleeve, HAIL SATIN is the bipolar party record of the summer. Side A features Grohl, Hawkins, Mendel, Smear, Shiflett and Jaffee lighting up the floor at Foo Fighters’ 606 studios with faithful renditions of five stone cold Brothers Gibb classics — Bee Gees bangers "You Should Be Dancing,” Night Fever,” “Tragedy” and “More Than A Woman" + Andy Gibb’s “Shadow Dancing” — while side B literally rocks the party with live at 606 renditions of roughly half of Foo Fighters pandemic panacea album MEDICINE AT MIDNIGHT.

The DEE GEES: HAIL SATIN was recorded entirely at 606. For optimal results, listen with exposed chest hair and little gold spoon necklace (If you know, you know…).

Side A — The DEE GEES:
You Should Be Dancing
Night Fever
Tragedy
Shadow Dancing
More Than a Woman

Side B — LIVE at 606:
Making A Fire
Shame Shame
Waiting on a War
No Son of Mine
Cloudspotter

Kinda bummed they let off how deep is your love

We're living in a world of fools

PostPosted: Sat June 26, 2021 10:39 pm 
A Return To Form

lowlight79 wrote:
The problem with the Grohl and the Foos nowadays is there just happy be those guys bringing the rock. They haven't challenged themselves since There's nothing left to lose when they were a three piece and wanted to kill each other.

Happiness and contentment doesn't make for good Rock music.

PostPosted: Wed June 30, 2021 3:55 pm 
Future Drummer

I just saw a car commerical with some shitty generic rock song in it and then it shows the lady's radio and it's some new Foo Fighters song I guess or maybe an older one. Who the fuck cares.

But there you go.

There are so many aging rock stars out there doing what Grohl is doing and it baffles me completely that he gets like 95% of the attention because he probably deserves it the least from a musical standpoint.

He must really, really know how to shmooze and kiss an enormous amount of ass.

Because those commericals only exist to tell people what is "cool" according to some executive and what they should be buying and listening to RIGHT NOW. Usually it's something most people wouldn't normally give two shits about. And I certainly don't know anybody talking about new Foo Fighters music. So clearly someone owes Dave a favor.

PostPosted: Sat July 03, 2021 3:19 am 
Rank This Poster

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
I just saw a car commerical with some shitty generic rock song in it and then it shows the lady's radio and it's some new Foo Fighters song I guess or maybe an older one. Who the fuck cares.

But there you go.

There are so many aging rock stars out there doing what Grohl is doing and it baffles me completely that he gets like 95% of the attention because he probably deserves it the least from a musical standpoint.

Because those commericals only exist to tell people what is "cool" according to some executive and what they should be buying and listening to RIGHT NOW. Usually it's something most people wouldn't normally give two shits about. And I certainly don't know anybody talking about new Foo Fighters music. So clearly someone owes Dave a favor.

This is bullshit. Dave is great.
1) He was in fucking Nirvana. Not just in it. They had a drummer before him. He took them to the next level.
2) He did the Foo’s fucking brilliant debut by himself.
3) The Foo’s sophomore album is a masterpiece. If Everlong isn’t one of your favorite songs, you’re probably an asshole.
4) Foo’s shows are fun. They play all the hits and still cram in sweet deep cuts like Low and Aurora.
5) He does cool shit like having a drum off with Nandi or covering songs by Jewish artists for Hanukah.
6) Breaks his leg badly - fucking plays.

I don’t love the Foo Fighters, but I love Dave Grohl.

PostPosted: Sat July 03, 2021 3:36 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I think the general consensus here is that he was great in Nirvana, great for the first three Foo Fighters albums, but since then has kind of coasted on a hammy “long live rock!!” Schtick for the last 20 years. And there’s some truth in that - though I do think he tries to mix it up. It is just that his core sound with Foo Fighters is very same-y and there’s a lack of the sort of subtlety that would encourage hardcore fans versus consistent radio success.

I like Foo Fighters fine, but a lot of their albums are boring because it’s just the identical formula to One By One, or at the very best slight plays on the formula that don’t push the band into new spaces, which you need in the long haul of a 25 year career. Good on him for being satisfied but that surely doesn’t mean the rest of us have to be too.

PostPosted: Sat July 03, 2021 8:28 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

daft twat wrote:

But there you go.

1) He was in fucking Nirvana. Not just in it. They had a drummer before him. He took them to the next level.
3) The Foo’s sophomore album is a masterpiece. If Everlong isn’t one of your favorite songs, you’re probably an asshole.
4) Foo’s shows are fun. They play all the hits and still cram in sweet deep cuts like Low and Aurora.
5) He does cool shit like having a drum off with Nandi or covering songs by Jewish artists for Hanukah.

Them Crooked Vultures
That tour with Ed and Watt
Probot, is that what that hair metal album was called?
And he was a drummer for evil Fizzy in a Muppet movie.

PostPosted: Sat July 03, 2021 11:08 pm 
Major Dude

B wrote:
daft twat wrote:

But there you go.

Them Crooked Vultures
That tour with Ed and Watt
Probot, is that what that hair metal album was called?
And he was a drummer for evil Fizzy in a Muppet movie.

It was much harder than hair metal. Almost a Motörhead tribute.

PostPosted: Sat July 03, 2021 11:23 pm 
Rank This Poster

i'm not giving grohl a pass, but billy joe armstrong deserves just as much shit, if not more. green day isn't as popular as the foos, but they went from awesome to shit just as bad if not worse than the foos.

grohl is just more confident with his life. i'm sure he didn't talk about how much he liked the bee gees when nirvana first got popular. it wasn't cool then. now he doesn't give a shit. its fine to like disco and metal.

PostPosted: Sun July 04, 2021 2:38 am 
The Master

Middle aged men posting on a message board being annoyed with a middle aged man being a happy rockstar is about as middle aged as it gets. Lol

PostPosted: Sun July 04, 2021 2:54 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I think Green Day are more popular than the Foo Fighters

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 60  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands