The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1030 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: Re: Concerts you've been to recently
PostPosted: Fri July 22, 2016 4:39 pm 
tl;dr

Tell me about Martin Sexton, J. You're the only guy I've ever heard mention him. What's his story?

PostPosted: Fri July 22, 2016 6:46 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

A folk/blues singer-songwriter from Massachusetts by way of Syracus NY. Used to play on the streets for change in Boston and later in the subways of NYC. He released his first album 'In The Journey' back in 92. Made it himself without a record label deal. Not impossible to find by any means but definitely harder to find than almost any of his other records. Bare bones record. A guy trying on his talent and seeing how it fits. Some real highlights include the title track as well as My Faith is Gone, Women and Wine, So Long Suzanna and Way I Am.

His second record 'Black Sheep' was also independently made; produced by Crit Harmon. It's gorgeous. A bit more budget and polish than his first record but still raw and soulful and stripped down in the best sense. It's one of my all time favorite albums ever by anyone, like top 10 of all time. I highly recommend checking it out. It's his best songwriting to date; front to back, the album is consistently brilliant. So much soul, so much talent and vision. A real American, traveling singer album.

After 'Black Sheep' Atlantic Records grabbed him up (because he's fucking amazing). He released two records for them. 'The American' was decent but really just a big budget rehash of 'Black Sheep' with some of the same songs appearing, just re-recorded with a lush studio budget. I don't like the new version quite as much, on the balance, they're a tab over-produced and too big and shiny.

The Atlantic experience was terrible for him. He left them after his second record ('Wonderbar') and started his own label called Kitchen Table Records. He's produced all of his albums since and released everything through KTR. Around the same time Pearl Jam started releasing offcial bootlegs, Martin did the same. For about two years he recorded every show and made them available at the venue after for those who purchased before the show started. He's abandoned that now. But it was a great experiment and I was able to grab more than a few of the bootlegs from the tour in 2004.

He's a good songwriter who has managed to make about a dozen brilliant songs. But his real talent/draw is his live show. His voice and vocal range are unreal. He's a fucking angel. And he plays guitar like it's the easiest thing in the world but he'd doing things I've never seen. When he plays live, he usually plays alone, so all the sounds are him. He hears the music in his head and tries to replicate it with just his voice and his guitar.

He tends to play off the cuff a lot and his arrangements are almost always different from night to night. He plays with his soul; pure feeling and emotion. I've seen him live more than anyone else. And each time I cry. It's rapturous.

His songs range from pure blues to folk to rock to bluegrass to swing to gospel to Americana. He pulls from a ton of genres and calls the usual suspects -- Billy Preston, Prince, John Lennon, Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan and Tom Waits -- major influences.

There's just a genuine grace and undeniable energy at his shows. He connects to the music he's playing and to the crowd in an authentic way that cuts. At every show I've been to there have been people around me who have never heard/seen him play before. Every show, literally, every show I hear a handful of people say, "holy shit" and "I wasn't expecting that" and "I can't believe what I just saw."

He's a treasure. Sometimes he can be cheesy as all hell but he's always having fun and he keeps his heart on his sleeve. A great guy that I've had the pleasure of speaking to three times (including last night).

If you'd like to start the journey I'd say pick up Black Sheep or his Live Wide Open record. That's a 2 disc live album that he recorded over several dates/venues on tour back in the early 2000/2001. That tour he played with a drummer. But all the other sounds you hear on the record are him. It's fantastic. And helps shed a sliver of light on what you're in for when you see him in person.

So, yeah, honestly, the best way to experience him is live. The first record I heard by him was Wonderbar. Which is fine; again, it's too clean and polished and "studio-y" and doesn't reflect what he's best at. But he played much of the album live the first time I saw him and my jaw hit the floor. Watching him rearrange his own stuff like that and riff with himself and sing from some unearthly place... it's a miracle.

And that's Martin Sexton. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri July 22, 2016 9:21 pm 
Future Drummer

durdencommatyler wrote:

That was a pretty good write up. made me listen to his live cd you mentioned. I liked it and fully imagine it to be just stellar live.

PostPosted: Fri July 22, 2016 9:29 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

surfndestroy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

That was a pretty good write up. made me listen to his live cd you mentioned. I liked it and fully imagine it to be just stellar live.

:luv:

He really is, man. I highly recommend seeing him live if you get the chance. As good as the albums are they can't compare to the live experience.

PostPosted: Tue July 26, 2016 8:45 pm 
Rank This Poster

Going to see The Last Shadow Puppets at the House of Blues in Chicago tomorrow and I am thrilled. Been waiting 8 years for this.

PostPosted: Tue July 26, 2016 8:48 pm 
Posting (live)

daft twat wrote:
Going to see The Last Shadow Puppets at the House of Blues in Chicago tomorrow and I am thrilled. Been waiting 8 years for this.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue July 26, 2016 9:06 pm 
for those who
are not...shall be

i saw alice in chains and my mind was completely blown. i never really understood what a mind being blown actually felt like til now. how do you describe a concert experience? songs i really loved before took on a new life and there was no where else I would rather be at that moment. i was ecstatic. the song Again was a standout.

PostPosted: Wed July 27, 2016 3:36 am 
Gone

When I saw them in 09 they were unbelievable. I was on the rail at the eagles ballroom in Milwaukee. William owned the stage. Acid Bubble completely blew my face off that night.

PostPosted: Wed July 27, 2016 3:37 am 
Gone

Dinosaur jr tomorrow night at the barn.

PostPosted: Wed July 27, 2016 3:38 am 
Production Police

verb_to_trust wrote:
Dinosaur jr tomorrow night at the barn.

:bammer: Bring yr ear plugs.

PostPosted: Thu July 28, 2016 5:03 am 
Gone

Dinosaur jr sounded like a giant fart exploding. I couldn't hear the vocals and I made sure to try and pick a spot that could have potentially survived J's massive rig. His guitar was so overpowering, which isnt awful because it is the best part of the band I guess. Also, I didn't bring ear plugs and now I have tinnitus.

PostPosted: Thu July 28, 2016 2:51 pm 
tl;dr

I missed that write-up, Joey -- thanks! I will check out some live videos if they're around.

PostPosted: Thu July 28, 2016 2:54 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Kevin Davis wrote:
I missed that write-up, Joey -- thanks! I will check out some live videos if they're around.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've never really looked for live videos on YouTube or anything. I'm sure they must be out there.

PostPosted: Fri July 29, 2016 1:28 pm 
Production Police

We served ice cream at a Lukas Nelson & The Promise of the Real show last night. Man, he really brings out the best in Just Breathe.

PostPosted: Sat July 30, 2016 5:23 am 
mXn

Waiting to get out of the parking lot right now...

Weezer
Panic! At The Disco
Andrew McMahon

Weezer: Extremely disappointing. Lackluster, poor soundboard mix, just blah.

Panic: Fucking awesome.

Andrew McMahon: Love his music, not many people here for his set. Would love to see him headline a small venue.

PostPosted: Sat July 30, 2016 1:56 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

knee tunes wrote:
i saw alice in chains and my mind was completely blown. i never really understood what a mind being blown actually felt like til now. how do you describe a concert experience? songs i really loved before took on a new life and there was no where else I would rather be at that moment. i was ecstatic. the song Again was a standout.

tha same happened to me...they are a true powerful force. Sean and Mike were surprising. And Jerry? wow.

[quote="verb_to_trust"]Dinosaur jr tomorrow night at the barn.[/quo

god i miss them!

PostPosted: Sun July 31, 2016 3:36 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

VinylGuy wrote:
knee tunes wrote:

tha same happened to me...they are a true powerful force. Sean and Mike were surprising. And Jerry? wow.

they grow on me every time I listen to them. songs that barely got my attention or even annoyed me are .... not doing that anymore :lol:

PostPosted: Mon August 01, 2016 12:02 pm 
Rank This Poster

daft twat wrote:

So this was great! I know there are a couple of Arcitic Monkeys fans on the board. I've seen them 5 times. LSP is far more entertaining live. Miles knows how to be a rockstar, and Alex, who is clearly Miles' bitch, has a blast playing with him. My only complaint is that 3 of the 18 songs were covers. Come on, lads, you can't be bored of your own songs already!

Side note. Saw a group of kids with camera phones pointed at a door with a tour bus outside a block from the venue. I walked over hoping to see the boys. Fucking Drake walked out. It was then that I noticed I was the only white dude in the group and the only person not losing his shit.

PostPosted: Tue August 02, 2016 2:18 am 
mXn

knee tunes wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
knee tunes wrote:

they grow on me every time I listen to them. songs that barely got my attention or even annoyed me are .... not doing that anymore :lol:

AIC: The second greatest band of all time, and it's not even close.

PostPosted: Tue August 02, 2016 2:27 am 
Gone

Who is number 1?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1030 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 52  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands