The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 655 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nine Inch Nails
PostPosted: Thu April 28, 2016 3:44 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Yes, but it's the breakdown specifically that interests me. That and the Daft Punk Tron soundtrack.

PostPosted: Fri April 29, 2016 9:35 am 
Posting (live)

Ruiner, guys. That song is amazing.

PostPosted: Fri April 29, 2016 2:04 pm 
Production Police

LetMeSleep wrote:
Ruiner, guys. That song is amazing.

Fuck yes. That solo with the stripped down drums is a catalog highlight.

PostPosted: Fri April 29, 2016 2:13 pm 
The Master

Yep. Love Ruiner.

PostPosted: Sat April 30, 2016 4:40 pm 
Rank This Poster

All The Love In The World is a good song.

PostPosted: Sat April 30, 2016 4:55 pm 
tl;dr

psychobain wrote:
All The Love In The World is a good song.

Yeah, that's one of the few "With Teeth" tracks I really like.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:37 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Ill rank NIN discography after The Fragile, only studio albums:

1-The Slip
2-With Teeth
3-Hesitation Marks
4- Ghosts
5- Year Zero

PostPosted: Wed June 15, 2016 11:39 pm 
Rank This Poster

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... pple-music

Quote:
Nine Inch Nails’ Trent Reznor is the latest artist to join the music industry’s war of words with YouTube, attacking Google’s video service over the role it plays for musicians.

“I find YouTube’s business to be very disingenuous. It is built on the backs of free, stolen content and that’s how they got that big,” said Reznor in an interview with Billboard.

Reznor was not speaking purely as an artist, however. He is also chief creative officer at Apple Music, the streaming service launched by Apple in 2015, which is one of the key rivals to YouTube in the digital music world.

“I think any free-tiered service is not fair. It’s making their numbers and getting them a big IPO and it is built on the back of my work and that of my peers. That’s how I feel about it. Strongly,” said Reznor, widening his criticism to other rivals like Spotify in the process.

Analysis Why is the music industry battling YouTube and what happens next?
Labels are facing off with Google’s video service over revenues and rights, yet it’s also their biggest partner for streaming music
Read more
YouTube has faced a barrage of criticism from musicians and music-industry bodies in 2016, as part of a campaign in the US and Europe to rework copyright legislation that grants the service “safe harbour” status when users upload copyrighted material without the permission of the rights owners.

Rightsholders have also argued that YouTube’s vast catalogue of free music could impede the growth of paid music-streaming subscription services like Apple Music and Spotify’s premium tier – important context to Reznor’s comments, given his role.

In its most recent public statement, following an open letter to Alphabet boss Larry Page from rock band Sixx:AM, YouTube indicated that the criticism is having an impact on the company’s plans.

“The voices of the artists are being heard, and we’re working through details with the labels and independent music organisations who directly manage the deals with us,” a spokesperson said.

“Having said that, YouTube has paid out over $3bn (£2.1bn) to the music industry, despite being a platform that caters to largely light music listeners who spend an average of one hour per month consuming music – far less than an average Spotify or Apple Music user. Any comparisons of revenue from these platforms are apples and oranges.”

Following Reznor’s criticism, YouTube issued a new statement addressing his comments.

“The overwhelming majority of labels and publishers have licensing agreements in place with YouTube to leave fan videos up on the platform and earn revenue from them. Today the revenue from fan uploaded content accounts for roughly 50 percent of the music industry’s YouTube revenue,” said a spokesperson.

“Any assertion that this content is largely unlicensed is false. To date, we have paid out over $3 billion to the music industry – and that number is growing year on year.”

PostPosted: Wed June 15, 2016 11:40 pm 
Rank This Poster

what the hell happened to TZ?

PostPosted: Thu June 16, 2016 12:03 am 
Production Police

Whatever. The notion of making a handsome profit margin for the sale of a physical copy of music represents a very small window within the span of music history. The ones who seem the most upset about the changes are the ones who had gotten used to making money hand-over-fist. I'm sure Trent's soundtrack work is keeping him plenty rich (and I think he was born into an upper-class family anyway).

I am of the Steve Albini mindset that compensation for music should be roughly on par with being a great plumber: You do your job for a certain amount of hours, you deliver a certain quality of work, and you make what the market will bear based on the quantity and quality of your work. (Full disclosure: I tried to make a lot of money via music publishing residuals, and failed miserably. I'm not upset about that -- it was a misguided effort on my part.) Grazing through music on Youtube or torrent sites is perfectly acceptable behavior, as is paying a premium for a super-deluxe-vinyl pressing. I believe the bigger villains in music sales are those who trade in cracked audio software (guilty); the gatekeepers at major radio; Apple for cornering the market and providing fucking TERRIBLE support for iTunes; and anyone who creates music that is solely derivative of other peoples' work without any originality. "I should get paid extra money every time someone presses play on my song" is bullshit. Should I pay the guy who designed my refrigerator every time I open the door?

Edit: Also, there are no great unions representing working musicians; the one major musicians' union is a joke. If music professionals could somehow obtain great health care and some sort of retirement plan -- like many other jobs in this country -- it would help make their lives much easier.

PostPosted: Wed August 03, 2016 7:29 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Huh. Saw this on another forum.

PostPosted: Wed August 03, 2016 9:52 pm 
The Master

I like the title.

PostPosted: Wed August 03, 2016 10:22 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Now I don't know who to believe: Trent or some random reddit guy.

PostPosted: Thu October 06, 2016 7:11 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Thu October 06, 2016 7:51 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

At this point i dont understand why he just relax and release music under his name.

PostPosted: Sat October 08, 2016 3:20 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I liked the song. Its not different from anything Trent and Atticus did with NIN...i mean, it even has a nana chorus at the end. Im still confused why this is not a NIN release.

Anyway, its a really cool song.

PostPosted: Fri December 16, 2016 9:17 pm 
Production Police

New EP and more:

http://www.vulture.com/2016/12/nin-anno ... -band.html

PostPosted: Fri December 16, 2016 10:16 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Quote:
Oh Yeah, and Atticus Ross Is an ‘Official’ Member Now

:shake:

PostPosted: Fri December 16, 2016 10:18 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Also I was walking home the other day listening to Hesitation Marks. Who actually wanted a pop Nine Inch Nails album? Don't get me wrong, I mostly like the first half of the album but the second half could be completely cut off and you'd have an alright EP.

Quote:
Plus, there'll be a special-edition LP-only version of The Fragile called The Fragile: Deviations 1, which will have four discs including instrumentals, alternate versions, and unreleased songs.

God dammit.

PostPosted: Fri December 16, 2016 10:20 pm 
Production Police

bune wrote:
Also I was walking home the other day listening to Hesitation Marks. Who actually wanted a pop Nine Inch Nails album? Don't get me wrong, I mostly like the first half of the album but the second half could be completely cut off and you'd have an alright EP.

I agree the album is too long by about half. But I think it's easily the best music since The Fragile.

What's your issue with Ross's involvement? It's always been a revolving door situation anyway, and he's never going to top the '94 sound.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 655 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 33  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands