Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: Let's All Laugh at Pitchfork

Thu January 18, 2024 6:39 pm

so here's the thing: As much as I hated Pitchfork for what they were, I gradually came to respect what they more recently became, which was an evenly-tempered, easy-to-navigate source of music discovery. The big shift towards bonafide stars like Taylor Swift and Olivia Rodrigo dispelled their hipster baggage, and for every "9.6 for this compilation of Knoxville, TN glam-rap circa 1992-1993" there was a steady stream of insight into current sub-genres/cult followings that I otherwise would've missed. Records by Chat Pile, Turnstile, Radian, and lots more all came my way via their reviews, which I still visited daily.

Only a handful of albums I've found there have stuck with me over time, but I have yet to find another site that is quite so digestible. Only at Pitchfork could I spend 90 seconds to quickly identify if there was a new band worth checking out; and I could simultaneously trust that when Shellac finally announced their new album, I'd hear about it on Pitchfork.

It traded all its sardonic bite and highfalutin think-pieces for a balanced, grazable take on what was going on in music sub-genres not only right now, but also 20 years ago. So I do mourn the loss of that, because no way am I about to start watching Beato videos.

Thu January 18, 2024 6:41 pm

i rank that with a 4.6

Thu January 18, 2024 7:16 pm

I give my level of surprise over this news a 0.0

The writing on the wall was written when they were purchased.

Thu January 18, 2024 7:26 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:so here's the thing: As much as I hated Pitchfork for what they were, I gradually came to respect what they more recently became, which was an evenly-tempered, easy-to-navigate source of music discovery. The big shift towards bonafide stars like Taylor Swift and Olivia Rodrigo dispelled their hipster baggage, and for every "9.6 for this compilation of Knoxville, TN glam-rap circa 1992-1993" there was a steady stream of insight into current sub-genres/cult followings that I otherwise would've missed. Records by Chat Pile, Turnstile, Radian, and lots more all came my way via their reviews, which I still visited daily.

Only a handful of albums I've found there have stuck with me over time, but I have yet to find another site that is quite so digestible. Only at Pitchfork could I spend 90 seconds to quickly identify if there was a new band worth checking out; and I could simultaneously trust that when Shellac finally announced their new album, I'd hear about it on Pitchfork.

It traded all its sardonic bite and highfalutin think-pieces for a balanced ha, grazable take on what was going on in music sub-genres not only right now, but also 20 years ago. So I do mourn the loss of that, because no way am I about to start watching Beato videos.

Everything you said is the exact reason I still visited their site.

Thu January 18, 2024 7:32 pm

Great explanation, but in true Pitchfork form, it’s not Radiohead so at best it gets a 7.6.

Thu January 18, 2024 9:28 pm

A couple of obnoxious quotes in that article. I will laugh at Pitchfork today.

Thu January 18, 2024 9:30 pm

But I'd take smug old Pitchfork over bland new Pitchfork any day. Trag is on crack.

Thu January 18, 2024 9:34 pm

BurtReynolds wrote:But I'd take smug old Pitchfork over bland new Pitchfork any day. Trag is on crack.

yes we need another 2000 worder on why Kevin Drew deserves a Nobel Prize

Thu January 18, 2024 9:40 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:But I'd take smug old Pitchfork over bland new Pitchfork any day. Trag is on crack.

but yet you'll gladly read stip's much more verbose write-up on lightning bolt . . .

Thu January 18, 2024 9:40 pm

one of the things I've always liked about pitchfork was there were at least one or two contributors whose tastes aligned with mine, and once in a while they'd review something that I could gamble on that was normally outside of my wheelhouse.

Thu January 18, 2024 9:42 pm

Chris_H_2 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

but yet you'll gladly read stip's much more verbose write-up on lightning bolt . . .

I will not!

Thu January 18, 2024 9:43 pm

dad wrote:one of the things I've always liked about pitchfork was there were at least one or two contributors whose tastes aligned with mine, and once in a while they'd review something that I could gamble on that was normally outside of my wheelhouse.

I mean, say what you like about the tenets of Pitchfork, dad, at least it's an ethos

Thu January 18, 2024 10:31 pm

Great post up there, Trag. I don't read p4k, but a number of artists I love got their big break through them. Grimes, Turnstile, Chat Pile etc.

I am thankful for those in my life who act as a p4k buffer, separating the wheat from the chaff in what is largely a fart-sniffing mess.

Thu January 18, 2024 10:32 pm

Middle aged dudes still read Pitchfork?

Thu January 18, 2024 10:32 pm

It's the SNL of music.

Thu January 18, 2024 10:34 pm

What do we read now?

Thu January 18, 2024 10:38 pm

Posts about shitting, obviously.

Thu January 18, 2024 10:57 pm

Allmusic is professional but boring. "This is a solid album if you're a fan, if not you may like 2 to 3 songs. 4/5."

I like reading Christgau's consumer guide. Sums up his thoughts in a few sentences and is funny.

Thu January 18, 2024 10:58 pm

Ello Sailor wrote:Posts about shitting, obviously.

:lol:

Thu January 18, 2024 11:04 pm

Pitchfork's big poptimist switch happened around 2008-2010. They've had some good pieces over the years.
Post a reply