The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1541 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 78  Next
 Post subject: Re: Upcoming concerts
PostPosted: Wed June 27, 2018 11:17 pm 
The Master

bodysnatcher wrote:
Strat wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Both bands were good! The wife and I had a good time.

does Spoon sound just like their records live? it's a very composed sound, those albums

Yeah, they do. If anything, their mix even allows each instrument room to breath.

:thumbsup: I bet Don't Make Me a Target sounds awesome live.

Spoon is awesome live, but the last time I saw them was probably 10 years ago. I'd be curious to see how they are now. I used to see them all the time in a bar in Memphis when I lived there almost 20 years ago.

They are fantastic live. Just saw them at the belly up in aspen.

They have this incredible ability to sound loose and garage like yet with excellent precision. They are so good live.

that's a great description of them. i've always enjoyed how loose they sound, but they're songs are so f'ing locked in. i love their swagger.

Yes, great description.

Their new stuff fits right in with their older stuff. They sounded just as good as the time I saw them 10 or so years ago in the same venue.

PostPosted: Thu June 28, 2018 3:51 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

The Decemberists had to cancel their Brooklyn show earlier this month. It's rescheduled for August, and my tickets are transferred automatically. So, that's cool. But as a result I've been too bummed to see anyone else. I've passed on a lot of bands. *shrugs*

I might be just about over concert going, in general.

PostPosted: Thu June 28, 2018 3:52 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
The Decemberists had to cancel their Brooklyn show earlier this month. It's rescheduled for August, and my tickets are transferred automatically. So, that's cool. But as a result I've been too bummed to see anyone else. I've passed on a lot of bands. *shrugs*

Oh, joey :(.

Seeing my favorite bands live is one of my greatest joy's in life.

PostPosted: Thu June 28, 2018 4:06 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I happy for you. I hope that never changes.

PostPosted: Thu June 28, 2018 4:34 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Why did the Decemberists cancelling a show sour you on live music?

PostPosted: Thu June 28, 2018 4:40 pm 
The Master

Outside of comedy shows, I currently have no upcoming concerts. Considering going to see The Exploited in September. Very possible I will never get another chance to see them.

PostPosted: Thu June 28, 2018 4:49 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I'm not sure it's that simple. I was super excited for that show. And then it got moved. In the interim there have been several shows that have either happened or gone on-sale that I would normally be interested in. A good example is Suzanne Santo from HoneyHoney played a solo show at Rough Trade last week. Great artist that I adore. Great venue. Inexpensive tickets. I had the night off. Tickets were available. Small intimate show. But I just couldn't bring myself to get there. I was totally "meh" about it once the night rolled around.

Liz Phair, Meg Meyers, and on and on. There have been so many great artists coming through but I just don't want to bother. I've seen most of them before, so it does't feel like I'm missing out.

I think The Mynabirds, The Decemberists, Pearl Jam, and Martin Sexton are the only artists I feel a "need" to see anymore. Of course, I'll see Tom Waits if he ever plays live again. But he's the last of the "bucket list" artists that I haven't see live yet.

PostPosted: Fri June 29, 2018 1:23 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

end of an era.

https://pitchfork.com/news/sasquatch-festival-will-not-return-in-2019/

PostPosted: Fri June 29, 2018 1:28 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

bodysnatcher wrote:

incorrect, Operation Bonerstorm has purchased the rights to 'Sasquatch!' and will be performing as the headline act every night for 16-nights straight

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Fri June 29, 2018 1:31 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

96583UP wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

incorrect, Operation Bonerstorm has purchased the rights to 'Sasquatch!' and will be performing as the headline act every night for 16-nights straight

there's no need to drive 2.5 hours into the high desert for that. just walk 15 minutes from downtown seattle and you're in boner heaven.

PostPosted: Sat June 30, 2018 4:03 am 
mXn

I just saw Live open for Counting Crows.

Ed Kowalczyk is cheesier than Cisco Adler (look him up, you’ll recognize him).

And I know this because, yes, I saw Whitestarr. It was a dark time in my life and I’m sorry for it.

PostPosted: Sat June 30, 2018 5:15 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

Bammer wrote:

And I know this because, yes, I saw Whitestarr. It was a dark time in my life and I’m sorry for it.

I thought kowalczyk quit. Hey! I thought I was the only only person whose last name ended in czyk !!!

PostPosted: Sat June 30, 2018 6:02 am 
10Club Complaint Department

knee tunes wrote:
Bammer wrote:

I thought kowalczyk quit. Hey! I thought I was the only only person whose last name ended in czyk !!!

He re-joined a year or two ago. They’ve done some touring. They have a new album coming out really soon. I’ve been considering going to this show when it comes to MN.

PostPosted: Sat June 30, 2018 6:44 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

PHATJ wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
Bammer wrote:

He re-joined a year or two ago. They’ve done some touring. They have a new album coming out really soon. I’ve been considering going to this show when it comes to MN.

I'm excited about this. :heartbeat: this band

PostPosted: Sat June 30, 2018 6:54 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

PostPosted: Sat June 30, 2018 7:10 am 
10Club Complaint Department

I’m an unashamed Live fan. The last decade plus has been forgettable, but I really love their first four or five albums. And I actually like a few songs from after that too, just not nearly at the same level. I’ve seen Live before. I thought they put on a pretty damn good show, even if Ed is cheesy as hell on stage most of the time. The dude can sing, and the band can write some great rock songs. But, like The Smashing Pumpkins, I don’t expect to like the new output, and I’ve been reluctant to buy tickets.

PostPosted: Sat June 30, 2018 12:34 pm 
tl;dr

durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I'm not sure it's that simple. I was super excited for that show. And then it got moved. In the interim there have been several shows that have either happened or gone on-sale that I would normally be interested in. A good example is Suzanne Santo from HoneyHoney played a solo show at Rough Trade last week. Great artist that I adore. Great venue. Inexpensive tickets. I had the night off. Tickets were available. Small intimate show. But I just couldn't bring myself to get there. I was totally "meh" about it once the night rolled around.

Liz Phair, Meg Meyers, and on and on. There have been so many great artists coming through but I just don't want to bother. I've seen most of them before, so it does't feel like I'm missing out.

I think The Mynabirds, The Decemberists, Pearl Jam, and Martin Sexton are the only artists I feel a "need" to see anymore. Of course, I'll see Tom Waits if he ever plays live again. But he's the last of the "bucket list" artists that I haven't see live yet.

My concertgoing has declined considerably over the years too -- I usually get to about 1-3 shows per year now, mostly jazz performances where the audience is relatively quiet and attentive, or things that are close to home. I will always enjoy live music but I find the peripheral elements (the expense, the travel, the annoying crowds, etc.) a lot harder to suffer through as time goes on.

PostPosted: Sat June 30, 2018 2:58 pm 
mXn

I am honestly going to enjoy listening to Live less now after seeing their show.

Ed’s stage presence was just so ... lame. He can sing, don’t get me wrong. And they have some great songs that I really love. But dammit what a dork.

That said: It’s funny to me that band would attempt to keep it going without him.

PostPosted: Sat June 30, 2018 4:06 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Kevin Davis wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

My concertgoing has declined considerably over the years too -- I usually get to about 1-3 shows per year now, mostly jazz performances where the audience is relatively quiet and attentive, or things that are close to home. I will always enjoy live music but I find the peripheral elements (the expense, the travel, the annoying crowds, etc.) a lot harder to suffer through as time goes on.

Same. Well said.

PostPosted: Sat June 30, 2018 4:23 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

You would have loved that Breeders concert, Joey. My suggestion is to pick an artist you haven't seen yet, and go see them. Lots of new energy in a show like that. You live in the premier place in maybe the whole planet for variety of concerts. You'll get the itch back

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1541 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 78  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands