The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Childish Gambino - Awaken, My Love
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:35 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

One pulls off its vibe really well and the other one doesn't? I dunno what you want from me -- I already said earlier which elements of "This is America" make it garish, ugly and flat. I don't think anything about the song works either musically or lyrically. In contrast, I think "Call Me Maybe" is a wonderful song, and pretty much every one of its musical and lyrical elements are spot on within the scope of its modest ambitions as a piece of bubblegum pop about the irrepressible thrill of infatuation

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:37 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

whoa whoa whoa calm down buddy

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:40 pm 

theplatypus wrote:
I dunno what you want from me

just attention

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:41 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

You have that. You've had that

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:49 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Call Me Maybe is a pretty stupid song. I do enjoy all the memes it's inspired. Actually, I can't hear the song and not think of Obama because the very first time I ever heard it was an internet meme that cut together Obama speeches so that he was speaking the lyrics to the song. Also, there's a great scene in Tully that features the song and, as such, Alamo Drafthouse's pre-show featured a really sweet YouTube compilation using the song. I loved that. Point being, it's dumb as hell but also super endearing for reasons that have nothing to do with it's own artistic merits, goals, or ambitions.

Kids do sure seem to love it though.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:56 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

durdencommatyler wrote:

I like the low-key condescension here. I wish you dropped the nice guy facade and just embraced your inner asshole because you do it really well.

It is stupid, it is pop fluff, but so are "Dancing Queen", "Sugar Baby Love", and a million other examples of bubblegum pop. But it is perfectly executed and pure sugar. I would take its unabashedly sweet, perfectly orchestrated, joyous dumbness over the musical awkwardness and attempted weightiness of "This is America" any day. In fact, I'll take it over the last 10 years of Pearl Jam music too.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:00 pm 
The Master

theplatypus wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I like the low-key condescension here. I wish you dropped the nice guy facade and just embraced your inner asshole because you do it really well.

It is stupid, it is pop fluff, but so are "Dancing Queen", "Sugar Baby Love", and a million other examples of bubblegum pop. But it is perfectly executed and pure sugar. I would take its unabashedly sweet, perfectly orchestrated, joyous dumbness over the musical awkwardness and attempted weightiness of "This is America" any day. In fact, I'll take it over the last 10 years of Pearl Jam music too.

Its an awful song. calm down.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:05 pm 

I think it's pretty pretentious to rate a song on its "goals and ambitions" over how it actually fucking sounds.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:07 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Ello Sailor wrote:
I think it's pretty pretentious to rate a song on its "goals and ambitions" over how it actually fucking sounds.

Its goals and ambitions are discernible based on how it sounds, and I've pointed to specific (and pretty much only) sonic elements to explain why I think it doesn't work

Last edited by Jorge on Thu May 17, 2018 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:07 pm 

As far as sounds go, I dig everything happening in “this is America” despite the minimalism.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:09 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Strat wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I'm so calm right now

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:20 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

theplatypus wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I 100% unironically meant zero condescension. It was a reference to the aforementioned film and the Alamo Drafthouse pre-show. But I appreciate the well thought out insult.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:21 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

theplatypus wrote:
Strat wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I'm so calm right now

Clearly.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:23 pm 
The Master

i wonder if everyone in this thread except jorge even has any idea that they are coming off as oblivious jackasses

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:24 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I think it's a given that everything is better than the last 10 years of Pearl Jam music.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:27 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
i wonder if everyone in this thread except jorge even has any idea that they are coming off as oblivious jackasses

Nice

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:28 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

durdencommatyler wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I 100% unironically meant zero condescension. It was a reference to the aforementioned film and the Alamo Drafthouse pre-show. But I appreciate the well thought out insult.

I am sorry... it really read like you were commenting on the maturity level of people who like this dumb song.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:29 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

And I sincerely thought it was a good diss

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:30 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Nice

He is being perfectly reasonable and explaining his thoughts very clearly, and you guys are just being condescending without actually offering any counterpoints. Not a great look.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:33 pm 

I'm not being condescending, I just think think Gambino's song is more interesting musically than the perfectly executed pop sensibilities of Call Me Maybe. There's no need to pull the jackass card just because we disagree.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands