The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Discovering a Large Discography
PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2017 10:21 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

III
Presence
IV

II
I

Houses of the Holy
In Through the Out Door
Physical Graffiti

Coda

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2017 10:22 pm 
Posting (live)

durdencommatyler wrote:
III
Presence
IV

II
I

Houses of the Holy
In Through the Out Door
Physical Graffiti

Coda

III is the tits.

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2017 10:24 pm 
The Master

I get why people always put Coda last, but some of my favorite LZ songs are on there. We're Gonna Groove, Poor Tom, Wearing and Tearing...mmmm...

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2017 10:29 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I get why people always put Coda last, but some of my favorite LZ songs are on there. We're Gonna Groove, Poor Tom, Wearing and Tearing...mmmm...

In all fairness, I put it last because I've never heard it.

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2017 10:32 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

THATS NOT HOW RANKING WORKS!

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2017 10:33 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

THATS NOT HOW RANKING WORKS!

Fine, so take it off my list, then. Everything else stays the same and here we are.

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2017 10:44 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

washing machine wrote:
So here's a question sort of related to discovering a large discography, though this assumes you're well aware and have had plenty of experience with a large chunk of an artist's discography:

Name some albums from one of your favorite artists that you have for whatever reason never heard, or that you discovered long after you should have. For me, it's Diamond Dogs and Aladdin Sane. I've been a Bowie fan for something like fifteen years now, yet I only started playing those two albums all the way through shortly before Blackstar was released. Those releases between Hunky Dory and Station to Station never really interested me too much until recently when I realized that the era between Ziggy and Young Americans is much more nuanced than a broad "glam" template. I think it was an interview I read shortly before Blackstar that did it. In the interview, there was a lot of talk about Bowie's sax playing and the piano passages on Aladdin Sane...

Anyway, what are some of everyone's embarrassing discography omissions?

I still don't have Presence from Led Zeppelin. Just recently got NYC Flowers & Ghost by Sonic Youth. There were a few Kinks albums that I was late to the party with as well. The most "embarrassing" for me may be Neil Young's 'Ragged Glory'. For some reason I didn't have it, so I recently took care of that too.

PostPosted: Sat January 14, 2017 2:12 am 
10Club Complaint Department

tragabigzanda wrote:
washing machine wrote:
So here's a question sort of related to discovering a large discography, though this assumes you're well aware and have had plenty of experience with a large chunk of an artist's discography:

Name some albums from one of your favorite artists that you have for whatever reason never heard, or that you discovered long after you should have. For me, it's Diamond Dogs and Aladdin Sane. I've been a Bowie fan for something like fifteen years now, yet I only started playing those two albums all the way through shortly before Blackstar was released. Those releases between Hunky Dory and Station to Station never really interested me too much until recently when I realized that the era between Ziggy and Young Americans is much more nuanced than a broad "glam" template. I think it was an interview I read shortly before Blackstar that did it. In the interview, there was a lot of talk about Bowie's sax playing and the piano passages on Aladdin Sane...

I find this happens more with classic rock. There are lots of huge artists I know through greatest hits, radio play, etc, but haven't necessarily listened to certain albums. Like with Led Zeppelin's Presence and Coda. I've heard the bulk of those songs on various comps, movies, at friends' houses, etc, but I don't know that I've ever listened to those records all the way through.

There are some Tom Petty and R.E.M. albums that I don't know. I also haven't really listened to any Flaming Lips albums that came after Embryonic. And there are tons of classic rock bands that fit the criteria.

PostPosted: Sat January 14, 2017 2:24 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

:haha: :haha:

PostPosted: Sat January 14, 2017 6:48 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

darth_vedder wrote:
washing machine wrote:

I still don't have Presence from Led Zeppelin. Just recently got NYC Flowers & Ghost by Sonic Youth. There were a few Kinks albums that I was late to the party with as well. The most "embarrassing" for me may be Neil Young's 'Ragged Glory'. For some reason I didn't have it, so I recently took care of that too.

I've never heard Presence all the way through, actually. Only got into Ragged Glory two years ago.

NYC Ghosts sure is an interesting record, isn't it?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands