The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 59  Next
 Post subject: Re: TOOL
PostPosted: Sun April 28, 2013 10:25 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

which records should i listen to after Lateralus? Opiate, right?

PostPosted: Tue April 30, 2013 4:04 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

VinylGuy wrote:

Aenima and Undertow are my favorites along with Lateralus. Opiate is okay (imo). They also have a fantastically awesome cover of LZs No Quarter. It is really, really good. Jimmy Page himself said he prefers it to the original.

PostPosted: Tue April 30, 2013 4:07 am 
Mind Your Tanners

TheDapperGent wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Aenima and Undertow are my favorites along with Lateralus. Opiate is okay (imo). They also have a fantastically awesome cover of LZs No Quarter. It is really, really good. Jimmy Page himself said he prefers it to the original.

Was never a fan of Undertow. But definitely give Aenima a listen!

PostPosted: Tue April 30, 2013 4:11 am 
Broken Tamborine

TheDapperGent wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Jimmy should show up down in Arizona Bay sometime, maybe even buy a bottle or two of Judith on a surprise visit kind of thing, and offer to play a lick or two on specifically whatever Tool stuff Adam's been working on.

Bet that would bring Maynard to LA to finish them there lyrics.

Yeah... Get it done boys!

PostPosted: Tue April 30, 2013 9:30 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Birds in Hell wrote:
Tuesday night!

I'm kind of looking forward to it.

Well, show just got postponed til tomorrow as Maynard's sick.

I was literally walking out the door! Man.

PostPosted: Tue April 30, 2013 10:01 am 
Jeff's Infallible Pendulum

Birds in Hell wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Tuesday night!

I just saw that on the Twitterverse. Hopefully he's okay to sing tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue April 30, 2013 1:42 pm 
The worst

Rangi Guy wrote:
TheDapperGent wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Was never a fan of Undertow. But definitely give Aenima a listen!

that's their best record (Aenima)

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:50 pm 

Fuzzcharger wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Tuesday night!

Eh, this was okay. Band was alright, kind of unengaging, but the light show was rather impressive. Not a patch on the other time I saw them back in 1997.

Setlist:

Vicarious
Opiate
Schism
Pushit
Intension
Lateralus
(intermission)
Jambi
Forty-Six & 2
Ænema
Stinkfist

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:27 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Birds in Hell wrote:
Fuzzcharger wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Tuesday night!

Eh, this was okay. Band was alright, kind of unengaging, but the light show was rather impressive. Not a patch on the other time I saw them back in 1997.

Setlist:

Vicarious
Opiate
Schism
Pushit
Intension
Lateralus
(intermission)
Jambi
Forty-Six & 2
Ænema
Stinkfist

I didn't have the pleasure to catch them before 01, but I can tell you this much. The performances in 06 and 07 while great didn't have anywhere near the shear power of the show I seen in 2001. I felt like I got ran over bys train, a sweet ass kicking musical train.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:49 pm 

It was still pretty good, I don't mean to give the impression they were really disappointing.

They were still great songs and the band played well but our seats were kind of average and Maynard's voice wasn't at its best. It seemed like the energy wasn't quite there. Was really happy they played Vicarious, however, after they messed it up the first night of the tour and skipped it on the second.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:57 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Birds in Hell wrote:
It was still pretty good, I don't mean to give the impression they were really disappointing.

They were still great songs and the band played well but our seats were kind of average and Maynard's voice wasn't at its best. It seemed like the energy wasn't quite there. Was really happy they played Vicarious, however, after they messed it up the first night of the tour and skipped it on the second.

Well at least I'm not going with super high expectations now...

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:01 pm 

Rangi Guy wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

Well at least I'm not going with super high expectations now...

Ha!

Sorry.

I'm still glad I went, it's not like watching Tool is a bad way to spend a night. Maynard was still struggling quite a bit, so hopefully he'll improve as the tour goes on.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:19 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

He sounded awesome with A Perfect Circle...

I hope i can see this band sometime.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:28 pm 

Danny told a fan who met him at the pub after the Adelaide show that the new album will definitely out before the end of 2013 and this run of shows is just for some extra cash. Will be interested to see if they mess much with the setlist at the rest of the shows.

Would be happy to see them again if they had new songs, I'd imagine it must get a bit stale playing the same old stuff.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:37 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Birds in Hell wrote:
Danny told a fan who met him at the pub after the Adelaide show that the new album will definitely out before the end of 2013 and this run of shows is just for some extra cash. Will be interested to see if they mess much with the setlist at the rest of the shows.

Would be happy to see them again if they had new songs, I'd imagine it must get a bit stale playing the same old stuff.

I had read that too I think. I'd also read that Adam was asked at one of the VIP things about the set lists and said that Maynard comes up with them. Wonder if the other guys get bored playing the same stuff every night? Maybe I'll ask him...

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:43 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Couple more days before I see these guys. Hope they're on fire!

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:00 pm 

Rangi Guy wrote:
Couple more days before I see these guys. Hope they're on fire!

Sounds like the Sydney shows were excellent, I think they're definitely warmed up now.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:37 am 
tl;dr

I saw these guys on the Lateralus tour in October of 2001. It was the first large-scale public event I had been to since 9/11 and I remember being really terrified that there was going to be a terrorist attack, as if the Al-Qaeda higher-ups were sitting around saying, "All right, the trade centers are down--next up, TOOL CONCERT!"

I was really into Tool for about 2 years right after high school. A lot of what they do is still right up my alley but I just have no patience for that whole gross-out, S&M, whatever-the-kids-are-calling-it-nowadays aesthetic of theirs.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:00 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Kevin Davis wrote:
I saw these guys on the Lateralus tour in October of 2001. It was the first large-scale public event I had been to since 9/11 and I remember being really terrified that there was going to be a terrorist attack, as if the Al-Qaeda higher-ups were sitting around saying, "All right, the trade centers are down--next up, TOOL CONCERT!"

I was really into Tool for about 2 years right after high school. A lot of what they do is still right up my alley but I just have no patience for that whole gross-out, S&M, whatever-the-kids-are-calling-it-nowadays aesthetic of theirs.

funny, we saw them on that tour the week after 9/11 in montreal and portland maine. i was terrified to cross that border. we did get hassled a bit, but probably only as much as a carload of 19 year old canuck guys deserved. i seem to recall people doing the "USA! USA!" chant like that had any relevance at a Tool show. it was a weird and scary time for everyone i guess.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:52 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

mf wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

funny, we saw them on that tour the week after 9/11 in montreal and portland maine. i was terrified to cross that border. we did get hassled a bit, but probably only as much as a carload of 19 year old canuck guys deserved. i seem to recall people doing the "USA! USA!" chant like that had any relevance at a Tool show. it was a weird and scary time for everyone i guess.

those USA! chants and the Freedom fries....they scare the shit out of me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 59  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands