The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Mark Kozelek | Sun Kil Moon | Red House Painters
PostPosted: Mon February 10, 2014 3:38 am 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:47 pm
Posts: 2006
Dogs

:heartbeat:

_________________
It's not our house that we remember,
it’s a feeling outside it when everyone's gone but we leave all the lights on anyway.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mark Kozelek | Sun Kil Moon | Red House Painters
PostPosted: Mon February 10, 2014 3:45 am 
Offline
Banned from the Pit
 Profile

Joined: Thu April 18, 2013 2:03 am
Posts: 21
psychobain wrote:
Dogs

:heartbeat:


Best song, so far. Amazing!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mark Kozelek | Sun Kil Moon | Red House Painters
PostPosted: Mon February 10, 2014 4:02 am 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:53 pm
Posts: 15529
Location: Illinois
I haven't heard this yet. What are the lyrics to Dogs like? Please tell me they reference his pets over the years....


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mark Kozelek | Sun Kil Moon | Red House Painters
PostPosted: Mon February 10, 2014 5:15 am 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Fri January 04, 2013 10:53 pm
Posts: 787
verb_to_trust wrote:
I haven't heard this yet. What are the lyrics to Dogs like? Please tell me they reference his pets over the years....

If with pets you mean his sexual encounters then yes


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mark Kozelek | Sun Kil Moon | Red House Painters
PostPosted: Mon February 10, 2014 5:28 pm 
Offline
Banned from the Pit
 Profile

Joined: Thu April 18, 2013 2:03 am
Posts: 21
kreng wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
I haven't heard this yet. What are the lyrics to Dogs like? Please tell me they reference his pets over the years....

If with pets you mean his sexual encounters then yes


Dogs-Lyrics

Katy Kerlan was my first kiss. I was only five years as she hit me with her purse. I had braces on my legs and I always fell down. And from that day moving forward I've been petrified of blondes.

Oh Patricia, she was my first love. She said I hate what's behind me and I couldn't breathe. I gave her Pink Floyd - Animals when we were in sixth grade. And it was on her turntable when I met her on Sunday.

Her mom was gone, we were listening to Dogs. She reached down my pants and discovered I was bald. And when I touched her down there she was blossoming and soft. And the next day at school she ignored me in the hall.

Shelly and Amber gave me my first taste. I went down on them both at Amber's parents' place. We were drunk as skunks and high on darvon. And they gave me a bath and I stumbled on home.

Mary Anne was my first fuck. She slide down between my legs and oh my god she could suck. I went with her friend first but I couldn't get it in. And when she caught me with Mary Anne her heart was broken.

Mary Anne got cold and abruptly broke it off for a guy with sweatpants and a pick-up truck. I begged her not to dump me and I pleaded no. But her body language told me it was time for me to go.

The guy with the truck picked me up and brought me home. I sat down at my piano and my spirit was low. But I pulled myself together and I played a few notes. Now I was the one who got their heart broke.

I met a girl named Debra, she lived on a canal. She made me eggs in the morning, she was such a sweet gal. And we went to Red Lobster and we went to Tangir's. She had motherly love, she was woman, she cared. She was a beautiful girl and she had a big heart, but I drifted away because there wasn't that spark.

Oh the complicated mess of sex and love. When you give that first stinger you're the one who gets stung. And when you lose control and how good it feels to cum. You ain't a pimp like a dog getting into someone.

Oh rejection how it hurts so much, when you can't love the one you've been longing to touch. And there's always something else and it don't feel right. And you wonder if they're coming together all night.

Get your own trash, the cycle's on and on. And nobody's right and nobody's wrong. All her shakes sometimes we were drawn. It's a complicated place, this planet we're on.

http://ambilyrics.com/s/sun-kil-moon/dogs


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mark Kozelek | Sun Kil Moon | Red House Painters
PostPosted: Mon February 10, 2014 8:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:47 pm
Posts: 2006
lol..masterpiece

_________________
It's not our house that we remember,
it’s a feeling outside it when everyone's gone but we leave all the lights on anyway.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mark Kozelek | Sun Kil Moon | Red House Painters
PostPosted: Mon February 10, 2014 8:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 30, 2013 4:30 pm
Posts: 4728
:|

_________________
cutuphalfdead wrote:
so glad i don't see signatures


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mark Kozelek | Sun Kil Moon | Red House Painters
PostPosted: Mon February 10, 2014 10:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:07 pm
Posts: 2402
Jesus this shit is depressing


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mark Kozelek | Sun Kil Moon | Red House Painters
PostPosted: Tue February 11, 2014 4:43 pm 
Online
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 36574
Location: Mountains
What an incredible album. Geezes. Lots of discomfort while listening to this thing.

Dogs really put me on my ass. Its shocking and sad and aggressive.

Dogs, Pray for Newton and I Love my Dad are early favorites.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mark Kozelek | Sun Kil Moon | Red House Painters
PostPosted: Tue February 11, 2014 11:24 pm 
Offline
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:11 pm
Posts: 7703
turned2black wrote:
I don't exactly love Benji. The lyrics are great, but I have to admit that some of the songs wear out their welcome and meander too much. I like the conversational style he does, but I'd also like to see some tighter arrangements.

Change my mind. I love it. Maybe it's turning 40 and my obsession with death and the unpleasant things in life, but, fuck, this guy's lyrics are amazing.

Pray for Newtown is a stunner.

The record he writes after his mom dies is gonna be fucking brutal.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mark Kozelek | Sun Kil Moon | Red House Painters
PostPosted: Tue February 11, 2014 11:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:07 pm
Posts: 2402
Made it into about :30 on three separate tracks


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mark Kozelek | Sun Kil Moon | Red House Painters
PostPosted: Wed February 12, 2014 12:22 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:47 pm
Posts: 1906
i got bugs wrote:
Made it into about :30 on three separate tracks


Dude, give this one a shot. It was probably my favorite song of last year.


Benji arrived today.

_________________
David Yow wrote:
How are Pearl Jam any different from Toto?


Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mark Kozelek | Sun Kil Moon | Red House Painters
PostPosted: Wed February 12, 2014 4:18 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:47 pm
Posts: 1906
How much of the Benji praise is really hype? I mean its a great record, so good to hear WIll Oldham on backup, but Among the Leavesis just as good and touches upon many of the same subjects as Benji does.

_________________
David Yow wrote:
How are Pearl Jam any different from Toto?


Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mark Kozelek | Sun Kil Moon | Red House Painters
PostPosted: Wed February 12, 2014 3:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Fri January 04, 2013 10:53 pm
Posts: 787
super nintendo chalmers wrote:
i got bugs wrote:
Made it into about :30 on three separate tracks


Dude, give this one a shot. It was probably my favorite song of last year.


Benji arrived today.


You get the cd? Didn't see the record for sale anywhere


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mark Kozelek | Sun Kil Moon | Red House Painters
PostPosted: Wed February 12, 2014 5:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:47 pm
Posts: 1906
Yeah, I ordered the CD. I don't think there is an LP for this yet.

_________________
David Yow wrote:
How are Pearl Jam any different from Toto?


Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mark Kozelek | Sun Kil Moon | Red House Painters
PostPosted: Thu February 13, 2014 8:09 pm 
Offline
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:11 pm
Posts: 7703
super nintendo chalmers wrote:
How much of the Benji praise is really hype? I mean its a great record, so good to hear WIll Oldham on backup, but Among the Leavesis just as good and touches upon many of the same subjects as Benji does.

I think it's significantly better than Leaves. The lyrics and subjects are more striking. The earnestness of Benji is staggering. I don't think Leaves has songs as good as Carissa, Dogs, Pray for Newtown and Richard Ramirez.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mark Kozelek | Sun Kil Moon | Red House Painters
PostPosted: Sat February 15, 2014 9:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:47 pm
Posts: 1906
turned2black wrote:
super nintendo chalmers wrote:
How much of the Benji praise is really hype? I mean its a great record, so good to hear WIll Oldham on backup, but Among the Leavesis just as good and touches upon many of the same subjects as Benji does.

I think it's significantly better than Leaves. The lyrics and subjects are more striking. The earnestness of Benji is staggering. I don't think Leaves has songs as good as Carissa, Dogs, Pray for Newtown and Richard Ramirez.


I agree, it is better. But to me it just seems Benji has more of a PR push behind it. I mean a write up in fucking Grantland of all places? Anyway I've had this album less than a week and been listening to it pretty much non stop.

_________________
David Yow wrote:
How are Pearl Jam any different from Toto?


Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mark Kozelek | Sun Kil Moon | Red House Painters
PostPosted: Sun February 16, 2014 3:38 am 
Offline
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:11 pm
Posts: 7703
super nintendo chalmers wrote:
turned2black wrote:
super nintendo chalmers wrote:
How much of the Benji praise is really hype? I mean its a great record, so good to hear WIll Oldham on backup, but Among the Leavesis just as good and touches upon many of the same subjects as Benji does.

I think it's significantly better than Leaves. The lyrics and subjects are more striking. The earnestness of Benji is staggering. I don't think Leaves has songs as good as Carissa, Dogs, Pray for Newtown and Richard Ramirez.


I agree, it is better. But to me it just seems Benji has more of a PR push behind it. I mean a write up in fucking Grantland of all places? Anyway I've had this album less than a week and been listening to it pretty much non stop.

You're probably right about the PR. I noticed Pitchfork had a Q&A with him, a 9.2 review of Benji and added him to the Pitchfork SXSW "showcase".


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mark Kozelek | Sun Kil Moon | Red House Painters
PostPosted: Thu February 27, 2014 12:31 am 
Offline
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:11 pm
Posts: 7703
This album is still killing me. I find a new lilting note or clever phrase every time.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mark Kozelek | Sun Kil Moon | Red House Painters
PostPosted: Thu February 27, 2014 8:10 pm 
Offline
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:11 pm
Posts: 7703
turned2black wrote:
This was tough, but... Rank 'em!

1. Ghosts of the Great Highway - S.K.M.
2. Self-Titled (Rollercoaster) - R.H.P.
3. Old Ramon - R.H.P.
4. April - S.K.M.
5. Perils from the Sea - Mark Kozelek & Jimmy LaValle
6. Ocean Beach - R.H.P.
7. Admiral Fell Promises - S.K.M.
8. Songs for a Blue Guitar - R.H.P.
9. Among the Leaves - S.K.M.
10. Self-Titled (Bridge) - R.H.P.

Note: I've only listened to the Desertshore album once so far.

****Updated****
1. Ghosts of the Great Highway - S.K.M.
2. Benji - S.K.M.
2. Self-Titled (Rollercoaster) - R.H.P.
3. Old Ramon - R.H.P.
4. April - S.K.M.
5. Perils from the Sea - Mark Kozelek & Jimmy LaValle
6. Ocean Beach - R.H.P.
7. Admiral Fell Promises - S.K.M.
8. Songs for a Blue Guitar - R.H.P.
9. Among the Leaves - S.K.M.
10. S/T - Mark Kozelek & Desertshore

Best song is still Ruth Marie.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Mon December 17, 2018 2:44 pm