Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: The Tragically Hip

Thu October 19, 2017 3:30 am

Heaven is a better place today because of this, but the world is just not the same

Thu October 19, 2017 11:38 am

Dev wrote:
doone wrote:
I wasn't able to listen to much Hip today, tomorrow will be different.

Did any of you guy see Long Time Running in theaters? CTV is going to air it Friday. It wasn't supposed to air until November.

I honestly wish I had seen it.

It didn't play at my local theatre so I'm glad it's going to be aired Friday.

Thu October 19, 2017 2:50 pm

From Our Prime Minister:

“For almost five decades, Gord Downie uncovered and told the stories of Canada. He was the frontman of one of Canada’s most iconic bands, a rock star, artist, and poet whose evocative lyrics came to define a country.

The Tragically Hip’s music invited us to explore places we had never been – from Mistaken Point to Churchill – and helped us understand each other, while capturing the complexity and vastness of the place we call home.

Gord’s command of language was profound. He painted landscapes with his words, elevating Canadian geography, historical figures, and myths. When he spoke, he gave us goosebumps and made us proud to be Canadian. Our identity and culture are richer because of his music, which was always raw and honest – like Gord himself.

In the wake of his diagnosis, Gord only fought harder for what he believed in: social justice, environmentalism, and reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples. Before passing, he shined his light on the story of 12-year-old Chanie Wenjack who died from hunger and exposure after trying to find his way home from a residential school. For his work raising awareness of Indigenous issues, he was inducted as a member of the Order of Canada in 2017.

Gord did not rest from working for the issues he cared about, and his commitment and passion will continue to motivate Canadians for years to come.

On behalf of all Canadians, Sophie and I offer our deepest condolences to Gord’s family, friends, bandmates and crew members, and his many, many fans. He will be sorely missed.”

Thu October 19, 2017 3:49 pm

His dedication to not just continuing but ramping up his support for indigenous reconciliation in the face of a terminal brain cancer diagnosis has to be one of the most selfless acts I've ever seen. What an amazing human being.

Fri October 20, 2017 9:18 pm

Airing tonight on CTV, commercial free.

Thu October 26, 2017 7:09 am

Thu October 26, 2017 1:21 pm

Noice!

Thu October 26, 2017 5:18 pm

That's an amazing story.

Thu November 16, 2017 1:39 am

An American’s Guide To The Tragically Hip

Sat November 18, 2017 12:37 am

A better article and good review of Gord Downie and his final solo album.
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/gord-downie-introduce-yerself/amp/#ampshare=https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/gord-downie-introduce-yerself/

Also The Hip received their Order of Canada awards this week.

Tue November 21, 2017 5:47 pm

doone wrote:A better article and good review of Gord Downie and his final solo album.
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/gord-downie-introduce-yerself/amp/#ampshare=https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/gord-downie-introduce-yerself/

Also The Hip received their Order of Canada awards this week.

“I say ‘I love you’ into your dark, unwavering eyes/That show caring, concern, disapproval, despair,” he sings with evident strain on “Faith Faith,” the album’s most overtly sentimental ballad. “But you’ll never leave me, never doubt me, never look elsewhere.” Downie’s lyrics generally have an ironic edge; in this case, as he was separated from his wife, it’s safe to assume one isn’t meant to take the romantic fervor in earnest.

This is my favourite part of the review, since I'm pretty sure Faith Faith is about his dog (which, to me anyway, makes the song that much more touching).

Tue November 21, 2017 6:24 pm

Awww, really? :heartbeat:

I've asked for the album for Christmas so haven't heard any of it yet.

Tue November 21, 2017 6:35 pm

seems like a lot of the melodies on the album are a bit repetitive. I only listened through once tho.

Tue November 21, 2017 6:50 pm

I'm not expecting too much, I mostly want it for sentimental reasons.

Tue November 21, 2017 7:36 pm

I didn't really care for the grand bounce either but his first 2 solo albums are great.

Wed November 22, 2017 5:07 pm

Dev wrote:seems like a lot of the melodies on the album are a bit repetitive. I only listened through once tho.

I find the same thing, and I've listened to it a few times.

The fact that he wrote and recorded these songs in a short period of time while undergoing treatment for brain cancer that he knew was going to take his life before long makes them remarkably moving and emotional to me. Lyrically, they often strike me as pure train-of-thought, and that makes it all the more powerful because these are the things he wanted to tell all the most important people in his life before he died.

I think that's why Faith Faith hit me so hard. You often hear stories about people having to say goodbye to their pets when the animal is being put down, but hearing it from the side of a dying person is a different, much more difficult perspective, I think.

Wed December 27, 2017 8:00 pm

I received Macleans special commemorative issue in my Christmas stocking; since I'm sick and it's fuckin' freezing cold outside, I've been reading it today and listening to the Hip discography. :heartbeat:

Sun December 31, 2017 3:59 pm

Listened to a good chunk of Phantom Power while walking through the cold the other day.

Thu January 04, 2018 9:09 pm

chuck taylor wrote:Listened to a good chunk of Phantom Power while walking through the cold the other day.

Phantom Power might be my favourite album ever.

Fri January 05, 2018 2:39 am

philpritchard wrote:
chuck taylor wrote:Listened to a good chunk of Phantom Power while walking through the cold the other day.

Phantom Power might be my favourite album ever.

I feel like Trouble At The Henhouse is very similar but a bit better.
Post a reply