Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

The Tragically Hip

Tue May 24, 2016 1:37 pm

The saddest news was released today about Gord Downie.

Hello friends.

We have some very tough news to share with you today, and we wish it wasn't so.

A few months ago, in December, Gord Downie was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer.

Since then, obviously, he's endured a lot of difficult times, and he has been fighting hard. In privacy along with his family, and through all of this, we've been standing by him.

So after 30-some years together as The Tragically Hip, thousands of shows, and hundreds of tours...

We've decided to do another one.

This feels like the right thing to do now, for Gord, and for all of us.

What we in The Hip receive, each time we play together, is a connection; with each other; with music and it's magic; and during the shows, a special connection with all of you, our incredible fans.

So, we're going to dig deep, and try to make this our best tour yet.

We hope you can come out and join us this summer - details and dates will be coming this week.

And we sincerely thank all of you, for your continued love and support,

Paul, GordD, Johnny, Rob, GordS

Re: The Tragically Hip

Tue May 24, 2016 1:46 pm

:shock: OMG! that's awful news. :(

Tue May 24, 2016 1:48 pm

I will say it is pretty goddamn badass of them to basically say "our singer got diagnosed with terminal brain cancer but FUCK IT, we're gonna go out on tour anyway"

Tue May 24, 2016 2:10 pm

This is pretty much the first time I can remember having an actual emotional reaction to this type of news about a celebrity.

It's pretty amazing that they're going to tour. I definitely have to see them one more time.

Tue May 24, 2016 2:21 pm

philpritchard wrote:This is pretty much the first time I can remember having an actual emotional reaction to this type of news about a celebrity.

It's pretty amazing that they're going to tour. I definitely have to see them one more time.

Me too. This is really saddening but you do have to admire him and them for wanting to tour one last time. The emotion will be overwhelming. I just hope they make it to my hometown.

Tue May 24, 2016 2:22 pm

Also, I know we've talked about them in previous iterations of the board, but I don't imagine there are a ton of people here who know The Hip all that well.

If you don't, you should.

Tue May 24, 2016 4:36 pm

sigh. extremely sad.

Tue May 24, 2016 6:05 pm

A little more info:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/gord-downie-cancer-doctor-1.3597361

Wed May 25, 2016 6:31 am

I'd also like to say that the new single may be their best song since In Between Evolution. I did like the song At Transformation quite a bit tho... And We Are The Same is a pretty solid album. But for me this band is best from Fully Completely to In Between Evolution.

Wed May 25, 2016 7:38 am

I'm not a fan but those shows are going to be super emotional for sure.

Wed May 25, 2016 12:01 pm

Dev wrote:I'd also like to say that the new single may be their best song since In Between Evolution. I did like the song At Transformation quite a bit tho... And We Are The Same is a pretty solid album. But for me this band is best from Fully Completely to In Between Evolution.

You don't include Up To Here or Road Apples? I grew up loving the old stuff, liked the singles in the middle, lost track of the new unfortunately. (same old story) :|

Wed May 25, 2016 2:04 pm

doone wrote:
Dev wrote:I'd also like to say that the new single may be their best song since In Between Evolution. I did like the song At Transformation quite a bit tho... And We Are The Same is a pretty solid album. But for me this band is best from Fully Completely to In Between Evolution.

You don't include Up To Here or Road Apples? I grew up loving the old stuff, liked the singles in the middle, lost track of the new unfortunately. (same old story) :|

Phantom Power might be my favourite album ever. It's completely flawless.

Wed May 25, 2016 4:09 pm

doone wrote:

Up To Here has it's moments but sounds pretty dated to me. Road Apples maybe should have been included, but I still don't think it is quite on the same level as the other stuff.

Wed May 25, 2016 4:10 pm

philpritchard wrote:
doone wrote:

I don't love Chagrin Falls.

Wed May 25, 2016 4:22 pm

Dev wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
doone wrote:

This is the most insane thing I've ever read on the internet.

Wed May 25, 2016 4:31 pm

philpritchard wrote:
Dev wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
doone wrote:

This is the most insane thing I've ever read on the internet.

Let's not fight. Vapour Trails is one of my all-time favourite hip songs.

Wed May 25, 2016 9:39 pm

Redemption for Dev.

Fri May 27, 2016 4:04 pm

Sad, sad news.

Fri May 27, 2016 5:41 pm

Crazy news

Fri May 27, 2016 8:48 pm

I don't imagine there's any chance of actually getting tickets, but I'm really, really hoping to go to the Kingston show.
Post a reply