The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 683 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Sat June 13, 2020 12:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Major Dude
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 1:57 pm
Posts: 25936
Location: Where everybody knows your name
Strat wrote:
I love the songwriting period with Luther but not as much with him live. The band felt a little less punchy - though finely aged.

Honestly when I saw them again with Jessie green that felt a bit more like the crows of old. Much dirtier. Much more intense. I was really really hoping they’d write and record with him in the band.

Jackie Greene? I saw them on that tour. He is a BMF. I’ve seen him sit in with the Allmans and Gov’t Mule.

_________________
Let me tell you, Homer Simpson is cock of nothing!
- C. Montgomery Burns


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Sat June 13, 2020 12:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 44824
Location: Mountains
wease wrote:
Strat wrote:
I love the songwriting period with Luther but not as much with him live. The band felt a little less punchy - though finely aged.

Honestly when I saw them again with Jessie green that felt a bit more like the crows of old. Much dirtier. Much more intense. I was really really hoping they’d write and record with him in the band.

Jackie Greene? I saw them on that tour. He is a BMF. I’ve seen him sit in with the Allmans and Gov’t Mule.

Lol. Yes. Sorry.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Sat June 13, 2020 1:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:53 pm
Posts: 11677
Superblood Wolfmoon wrote:
Before the Frost...Until the Freeze should be listened to as it is on the vinyl double album


correct


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Sat June 13, 2020 10:58 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 7:55 pm
Posts: 3039
Croweology - I went into this thinking it would just be something extra to sorta listen through, but again pleasantly shocked, as it were, since this could very well be my favorite release of theirs. The stripped down versions are full of soul and you can really parse out the instrumentation. Some of these versions are just stunning. Remedy, Soul Singing, Ballad in Urgency (holy crap!), Wiser Time, Morning Song, Thorn in My Pride, Girl From a Pawnshop...this right here is the highlight of this whole damn journey. They just kill it with extended versions that highlight each and every little piece of these songs. It’s a release like this that reminds me that they are/were better than I ever have them credit for. Too bad this was their last run in the studio but at least they did something different and creative with the songs they had that actually expanded your understanding of their catalogue rather than simply reminding everyone of their greatest hits. I will listen to the last live album next to finish off this journey but this release was worth the whole thing.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Tue June 16, 2020 2:47 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 7:55 pm
Posts: 3039
Wiser For the Time - this half acoustic/half electric live album was an interesting listen. Perhaps due to running straight through, the acoustic half seemed mostly redundant or excessive in light of following Until the Freeze and Croweology, but that’s a matter it too much of a good thing than anything else. There are a few really strong performances on the acoustic half, including Better When You’re Not Alone, Hotel Illness, and Soul Singing, bit for me this live album really took off on the electric half - like a strong reminder that they are quite great when plugged in too. Exit is like an adrenaline shot in that regard and it continues basically straight through to the end with great performances on top of one another. One might have issues (I don’t) with the jammier nature of the performances with Luther Dickinson, but that run of No Speak No Slave, Only Halfway to Everywhere, A Conspiracy, Title Song, My Morning Song —> Stare It Cold —> My Morning Song, Tied Up and Swallowed, and Make Glad was my favorite stretch of this. A very solid release, though admittedly I am a little full when it comes to the Crowes at the moment.

In terms of the larger picture, I think it’s pretty evident that this was an excellent journey that touches upon a band with an excellent high point that lasted most of the 90s, and then a great second wave with Warpaint and Before the Frost...Until the Freeze. It also surprised me that Croweology, a re-recording of selections of their material, would bring me some of the greatest excitement here. Each of these albums had some strong value to it, with really By Your Side being the only album that didn’t feel essential to the listening experience (along with the first live album). I certainly gained a greater appreciation for this band and their ability to extend their creativity not just to their new songs but constantly breathe new life into their classic work as well. Seems to me that the Black Crowes may never exist again as they were largely constructed - save for the occasional cash in tour - but they certainly gave us a lot with their time.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Tue June 16, 2020 3:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:53 pm
Posts: 11677
Exit should have been on Amorica. Thanks Chris.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Wed June 17, 2020 2:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:53 pm
Posts: 11677
wease wrote:
I know some of you have read Gorman’s book. If you haven’t yet, do so. I read it a couple weeks back and it’s fantastic.


I finished it last night. It skipped all the stuff I didn't care about (everyone's childhood trauma and the minutiae of being a rock star junkie) and just gave us band history and loads of shit talking. It was perfect.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Tue September 01, 2020 6:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:21 am
Posts: 3382
So much Black Crowes gold being released on this channel. Full shows, great versions of songs in studio settings.


_________________
Think I’m going to try being kind to everyone a chance.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Fri September 04, 2020 12:03 am 
Offline
User avatar
Major Dude
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 1:57 pm
Posts: 25936
Location: Where everybody knows your name
bada wrote:
wease wrote:
I know some of you have read Gorman’s book. If you haven’t yet, do so. I read it a couple weeks back and it’s fantastic.


I finished it last night. It skipped all the stuff I didn't care about (everyone's childhood trauma and the minutiae of being a rock star junkie) and just gave us band history and loads of shit talking. It was perfect.

Yeah. It pretty much was.

_________________
Let me tell you, Homer Simpson is cock of nothing!
- C. Montgomery Burns


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Sat September 05, 2020 12:04 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 44824
Location: Mountains
Why would you skip all the fun stuff? also that was a majority of the book. And also is the good explanation for all the chaos!

Anywho.....

Picked up Lions on Vinyl. I have a soft spot for this record. its super hit or miss but this was near the peak of my fandom.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Fri January 08, 2021 4:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:21 am
Posts: 3382
The bastards, looks like they'll be going the 30th anniversary route of deluxe sets of their albums. The haven't even finished re-releasing their catalogue on vinyl. I can pass on the Shake Your Money Maker set that was just announced but the next two or three will probably take me for a fool.

_________________
Think I’m going to try being kind to everyone a chance.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Fri January 08, 2021 11:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 44824
Location: Mountains
surfndestroy wrote:
The bastards, looks like they'll be going the 30th anniversary route of deluxe sets of their albums. The haven't even finished re-releasing their catalogue on vinyl. I can pass on the Shake Your Money Maker set that was just announced but the next two or three will probably take me for a fool.

What other albums are you waiting for on vinyl?

I guess i haven't looked into Warpaint but i got that years back. I would love Croweology. Other than that ....


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Fri January 08, 2021 11:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:21 am
Posts: 3382
Strat wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
The bastards, looks like they'll be going the 30th anniversary route of deluxe sets of their albums. The haven't even finished re-releasing their catalogue on vinyl. I can pass on the Shake Your Money Maker set that was just announced but the next two or three will probably take me for a fool.

What other albums are you waiting for on vinyl?

I guess i haven't looked into Warpaint but i got that years back. I would love Croweology. Other than that ....

Croweology, Lost Crowes and Lions. Wouldn't mind Freak n Roll. Will pass on By Your Side.

_________________
Think I’m going to try being kind to everyone a chance.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Fri January 08, 2021 11:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 44824
Location: Mountains
surfndestroy wrote:
Strat wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
The bastards, looks like they'll be going the 30th anniversary route of deluxe sets of their albums. The haven't even finished re-releasing their catalogue on vinyl. I can pass on the Shake Your Money Maker set that was just announced but the next two or three will probably take me for a fool.

What other albums are you waiting for on vinyl?

I guess i haven't looked into Warpaint but i got that years back. I would love Croweology. Other than that ....

Croweology, Lost Crowes and Lions. Wouldn't mind Freak n Roll. Will pass on By Your Side.

Ah yes, lost crowes.

I have lions. Want it? It sucks. Just kidding. Kind of.

I love By Your Side though. I got heavily into the crowes around the summer of 98 so that was the first crowes release i anticipated and at that time it hit me right in that summer sweet spot.

Doesnt hold up but has a couple great tunes.

Definitely want Freak n Roll.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Fri January 08, 2021 11:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:21 am
Posts: 3382
Strat wrote:
I have lions. Want it? It sucks. Just kidding. Kind of.

I love By Your Side though. I got heavily into the crowes around the summer of 98 so that was the first crowes release i anticipated and at that time it hit me right in that summer sweet spot. Doesnt hold up but has a couple great tunes.

Definitely want Freak n Roll.

BYS is Crowes at their worst to me. Like they realized all the opportunities they had to be big that they blew and tried to make a commercial album to make up for that. Not what I want from them in any many, even though I like some of the songs.

Lions has some really good songs and is them trying something new while still being true to themselves.

_________________
Think I’m going to try being kind to everyone a chance.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Sat January 09, 2021 12:16 am 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:07 pm
Posts: 3301
I'm a fan of the new tune


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Sun February 14, 2021 12:35 am 
Offline
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 1375


Had no idea this had gotten leaked...how stuff like this just got dropped while shit like Whoa Mule and There's Gold in Them Hills made Warpaint drives me crazy


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Sun February 14, 2021 5:30 am 
Offline
User avatar
Not as great as you think
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 24, 2013 4:32 am
Posts: 16698
Location: Growing dick, fixing and filing things.
I grabbed a burger at 5 Guys recently and they were rocking Black Crowes overhead :bammer:

_________________
Peetah from Woostah wrote:
That Bammah post is a work of ahht.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Fri February 26, 2021 7:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:21 am
Posts: 3382
The live album as part of the Shake Your Money Maker box set is spectacular. Muscular, soulful and tight. Hope my neighbours are going to enjoy this album as much as I am.

_________________
Think I’m going to try being kind to everyone a chance.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Fri February 26, 2021 11:01 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 7:55 pm
Posts: 3039
surfndestroy wrote:
The live album as part of the Shake Your Money Maker box set is spectacular. Muscular, soulful and tight. Hope my neighbours are going to enjoy this album as much as I am.

Can’t wait to hear that!


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 683 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Sat February 27, 2021 10:26 pm