The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Tue November 19, 2013 7:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Stone's Bitch
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:47 pm
Posts: 6816
Location: unnamed mental hospital
Interesting you have Lions last. I know it's kind of a love/hate album but I like the psychedelic, ragged high points it achieves, especially "Cosmic Friend."

_________________
Strat wrote:
Alas, we are RM


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Tue November 19, 2013 7:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:21 am
Posts: 1545
Amorica
Before the Frost
Southern Harmony
Shake Your Money Maker
Three Snakes
Warpaint
By Your Side
Lions

I am not very familiar with either By Your Side or Lions, so just ranked them alphabetically. I have to admit, I truly love Croweology.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Tue November 19, 2013 7:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 36525
Location: Mountains
evenslow wrote:
Interesting you have Lions last. I know it's kind of a love/hate album but I like the psychedelic, ragged high points it achieves, especially "Cosmic Friend."



Im not sure what it is, but I rarely seek it out. However, I love Midnight .., Soul Singing, Miracel to Me, and Cypress Tree


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Wed November 20, 2013 2:08 pm 
Offline
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 1316
Southern Harmony
Amorica
Three Snakes
SYMM
Before the Frost
Lions
Warpaint
By Your Side

Two things: Warpaint has not held up at all for me, I really liked that album for the first 2 years it was out, but now I'm really indifferent to it...aside from Josephine (one of the band's greatest moments), Locust St is probably the only other song I'd seek out to listen to right now

By Your Side is marred by crappy song choices...get rid of Heavy, Then She Said My Name, and Diamond Ring and replace with Grows a Rose, It Must Be Over and Smile and the album would instantly jump up to Before the Frost territory (I liked Go Faster better as Sad Brown Eyes too, but that's a minor quibble)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Wed November 20, 2013 2:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 36525
Location: Mountains
LOL that none of us have ranked Until The Freeze


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Wed November 20, 2013 2:55 pm 
Offline
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 1316
Strat wrote:
LOL that none of us have ranked Until The Freeze


aside from Greenhorn, I honestly don't know if I like a single song from that...oh, and Shine Along

if you give me those 2 and take out Last Place That Love Lives and Kept My Soul, Before the Frost would probably vault into the top 4, possibly the top 3


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Wed November 20, 2013 3:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 36525
Location: Mountains
MattA75 wrote:
Strat wrote:
LOL that none of us have ranked Until The Freeze


aside from Greenhorn, I honestly don't know if I like a single song from that...oh, and Shine Along

if you give me those 2 and take out Last Place That Love Lives and Kept My Soul, Before the Frost would probably vault into the top 4, possibly the top 3


You really dont like Kept My Soul?

Interesting.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Wed November 20, 2013 4:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Stone's Bitch
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:47 pm
Posts: 6816
Location: unnamed mental hospital
By Your Side seems to be a consensus bottom dweller.

It's funny cuz when it came out it was right in the sweet spot of my Crowes fandom and I played the absolute shit out of it for a few years. Looking back though, it fades away b/c it's far less interesting than their other records. It's by the numbers, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't get enjoyment out of it if I put it on right now.

You could do worse than tracks 1 and 2 when on a run, btw.

_________________
Strat wrote:
Alas, we are RM


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Wed November 20, 2013 4:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:21 am
Posts: 1545
Strat wrote:
LOL that none of us have ranked Until The Freeze

Until The Freeze is a poor album oon its own. But combine it with Before The Frost, using the original tracklisting and Before TheFrost/Until The Freeze is an enjoyable and entirely different listening experience than either on their own.

I'm more surprised no one ranked The Lost Tapes.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Wed November 20, 2013 4:46 pm 
Offline
A Return To Form
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 3:57 am
Posts: 229
Rich just announced he has a solo album coming out in the spring. Cool to me. His stuff blows CR's hippie bs out of the water.



TSHAMC
Amorica
3SaOC
Lions....big Zep fan and I think the Page/Crowes hangover contributed to this album in a great way
BTF/UTF.....for those that haven't listened to it, I highly suggest the vinyl sequencing/double album version
Warpaint
BYS
SYMM

Only band with a better "batting average" for me is Zeppelin. Just love every album pretty much front to back. They have several amazing b-sides, covers etc too.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Wed November 20, 2013 4:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Stone's Bitch
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:47 pm
Posts: 6816
Location: unnamed mental hospital
Oh, Jimmy wrote:
Rich just announced he has a solo album coming out in the spring. Cool to me. His stuff blows CR's hippie bs out of the water.

Totally disagree. Big Moon Ritual is the shit. When they play live it can definitely come across too hippie, but on record the jamz are tight brah.

_________________
Strat wrote:
Alas, we are RM


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Wed November 20, 2013 4:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Stone's Bitch
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:47 pm
Posts: 6816
Location: unnamed mental hospital
Oh, Jimmy wrote:
BTF/UTF.....for those that haven't listened to it, I highly suggest the vinyl sequencing/double album version

Holy shit I'm an asshole. Had no idea this existed. :shake:

_________________
Strat wrote:
Alas, we are RM


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Wed November 20, 2013 4:58 pm 
Offline
A Return To Form
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 3:57 am
Posts: 229
evenslow wrote:
Oh, Jimmy wrote:
Rich just announced he has a solo album coming out in the spring. Cool to me. His stuff blows CR's hippie bs out of the water.

Totally disagree. Big Moon Ritual is the shit. When they play live it can definitely come across too hippie, but on record the jamz are tight brah.


I'm more inclined to think the opposite. Live jamming is cool, but to put on a studio album and listen I prefer stronger songwriting and some varying sounds. All of CRB's jams sound pretty much the same.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Wed November 20, 2013 5:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 36525
Location: Mountains
Oh, Jimmy wrote:
Rich just announced he has a solo album coming out in the spring. Cool to me. His stuff blows CR's hippie bs out of the water.



TSHAMC
Amorica
3SaOC
Lions....big Zep fan and I think the Page/Crowes hangover contributed to this album in a great way
BTF/UTF.....for those that haven't listened to it, I highly suggest the vinyl sequencing/double album version
Warpaint
BYS
SYMM

Only band with a better "batting average" for me is Zeppelin. Just love every album pretty much front to back. They have several amazing b-sides, covers etc too.


Your abbreviations seem like they would take loner than jus typing out the album.

Crowes are definitely one of the more solid bands for me. Really dont dislike any record at all. I defintiely played the shit out of By Your Side the summer it came out. Senior in high school heading to college maybe? Shit. The songs definteily dont have much meat on them but they are so "feel good Crowes" that I cant help but love it.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Wed November 20, 2013 5:41 pm 
Offline
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 1316
Strat wrote:
MattA75 wrote:
Strat wrote:
LOL that none of us have ranked Until The Freeze


aside from Greenhorn, I honestly don't know if I like a single song from that...oh, and Shine Along

if you give me those 2 and take out Last Place That Love Lives and Kept My Soul, Before the Frost would probably vault into the top 4, possibly the top 3


You really dont like Kept My Soul?

Interesting.


been a long time since I listened to it, so I could be wrong, but I think that's the one I'm thinking of


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Wed November 20, 2013 5:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 36525
Location: Mountains
MattA75 wrote:
Strat wrote:
MattA75 wrote:
Strat wrote:
LOL that none of us have ranked Until The Freeze


aside from Greenhorn, I honestly don't know if I like a single song from that...oh, and Shine Along

if you give me those 2 and take out Last Place That Love Lives and Kept My Soul, Before the Frost would probably vault into the top 4, possibly the top 3


You really dont like Kept My Soul?

Interesting.


been a long time since I listened to it, so I could be wrong, but I think that's the one I'm thinking of



That has got such a nasty and sex groove to it.... Feel as though its classic crowes....


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Wed November 20, 2013 5:47 pm 
Offline
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 1316
surfndestroy wrote:
I'm more surprised no one ranked The Lost Tapes.


Band would be a top 4 record for me...I love that record to death (though it's interesting that what leaked in 2002ish as the album and what was put out in 2006 does differentiate a bit)

Oh, Jimmy wrote:
Rich just announced he has a solo album coming out in the spring. Cool to me. His stuff blows CR's hippie bs out of the water.

TSHAMC
Amorica
3SaOC
Lions....big Zep fan and I think the Page/Crowes hangover contributed to this album in a great way
BTF/UTF.....for those that haven't listened to it, I highly suggest the vinyl sequencing/double album version
Warpaint
BYS
SYMM

Only band with a better "batting average" for me is Zeppelin. Just love every album pretty much front to back. They have several amazing b-sides, covers etc too.


I wasn't a big fan of Rich's last album (it was ok, but I actually liked Paper better), but it is much better than CRB...ugh

surprised anyone can put SYMM last...I know everyone's sick of the hits, but the rest of that album is really really solid front to back...and the hits aren't exactly bad songs either


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Wed November 20, 2013 6:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Stone's Bitch
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:47 pm
Posts: 6816
Location: unnamed mental hospital
MattA75 wrote:
surprised anyone can put SYMM last...I know everyone's sick of the hits, but the rest of that album is really really solid front to back...and the hits aren't exactly bad songs either

It suffers from the same syndrome Ten does for PJ.

_________________
Strat wrote:
Alas, we are RM


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Wed November 20, 2013 6:47 pm 
Offline
A Return To Form
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 3:57 am
Posts: 229
MattA75 wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
I'm more surprised no one ranked The Lost Tapes.


Band would be a top 4 record for me...I love that record to death (though it's interesting that what leaked in 2002ish as the album and what was put out in 2006 does differentiate a bit)

Oh, Jimmy wrote:
Rich just announced he has a solo album coming out in the spring. Cool to me. His stuff blows CR's hippie bs out of the water.

TSHAMC
Amorica
3SaOC
Lions....big Zep fan and I think the Page/Crowes hangover contributed to this album in a great way
BTF/UTF.....for those that haven't listened to it, I highly suggest the vinyl sequencing/double album version
Warpaint
BYS
SYMM

Only band with a better "batting average" for me is Zeppelin. Just love every album pretty much front to back. They have several amazing b-sides, covers etc too.


I wasn't a big fan of Rich's last album (it was ok, but I actually liked Paper better), but it is much better than CRB...ugh

surprised anyone can put SYMM last...I know everyone's sick of the hits, but the rest of that album is really really solid front to back...and the hits aren't exactly bad songs either


Probably being a little hard on it b/c the hits, but I think the stuff, besides the hits and the 2 or 3 slow songs, all kinda runs together.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Wed November 20, 2013 10:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 36525
Location: Mountains
Yes!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... es%20vinyl


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Wed December 12, 2018 2:27 pm