The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 760 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Mon June 08, 2020 3:56 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

The Black Crowes Live (2002) - this live album is one of the live albums I had not heard before, and it seems it was largely for good reason. Having seen them live and heard a few of their live albums and shows, they can be a truly transformative band in the live setting. They can jam, but that jamming usually remains within the structure of the song and pushes their material to the next level. That level of live performance was evident in Live at the Greek but not so much here. For the most part, they are tearing through their songs in almost an exact replication of what’s on the album - particularly in the first half of this release. The main highlight for me early on here were Greasy Grass River, Girl From a Pawnshop, and Cosmic Friend which all saw some level of their ability.

In the second half, things did start to come together more memorably. High Head Blues was great, as was Title Song. She Talks to Angels featured really wonderful slide work.

The release really just disappointed me based on what they are capable of, but any live Crowes is better than none.

PostPosted: Tue June 09, 2020 2:54 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Just a note here I will skip Lost Crowes since it is not available at the moment on Spotify and I don’t have it on CD anywhere (I have the first 5 studio albums, Into the Fog..., Warpaint, and the recording of the show I went to in 2013). Sometimes I guess there are limitations to such ventures...Into the Fog is next.

PostPosted: Tue June 09, 2020 7:29 pm 
A Return To Form

surfndestroy wrote:
I just listened to it on a drive and my updated take is the songwriting is B but the band is smoking at A+. The performance and arrangements are great and tight, maybe a little too tight. Would like to have the solos a little louder in the mix and a little longer. I’d love to hear live recordings from this tour, to see if the songs breathed a little more or jammed out.

Their '96 shows are awesome, I used to have a bunch burned on CD, I think St. Louis was one I liked a lot.

Also what happened to Lost Crowes? It was on Apple Music for awhile but not anymore.

PostPosted: Tue June 09, 2020 8:22 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
Just a note here I will skip Lost Crowes since it is not available at the moment on Spotify and I don’t have it on CD anywhere (I have the first 5 studio albums, Into the Fog..., Warpaint, and the recording of the show I went to in 2013). Sometimes I guess there are limitations to such ventures...Into the Fog is next.

Half of it is on there under The Tall Session.

PostPosted: Tue June 09, 2020 10:22 pm 
Banned from the Pit

If you're on the Amorica 3 message board, you've seen the effort one member there made to clean up as much of the various studio outtakes and unreleased sessions stuff that has leaked or shown up over the years. I honestly have mixed feelings (no pun intended) because the guy went through and did some "repairs" to take out some things, add some others, or balance the volume more consistently on some tracks. Since these weren't ever officially mastered or released, I suppose it's fair game, but what results is a pretty solid case for four additional albums that they could've released. Some of the songs are earlier versions of things that were later re-reworked and released, but none of these were official releases.

Oh, and since he put them together, he named the albums too. Info on songs can be found at http://www.crowesbase.com. Link to Amorica3 board: https://amorica3.freeforums.net/

Download links are good for a few more days.

Download for albums 1 and 2: we.tl/t-DygmuPHAPT

1) Songs From The Flesh:

Exit
The Fear Years
Tied Up And Swallowed
Title Song
Painkiller
Bewildered
Song Of The Flesh
Wind And Wood Heart
Feathers
She Gave Good Sunflower
Bitter, Bitter You

2) Curses and Clues

Never Forget This Song
Smile
Another Roadside Tragedy
Boomer’s Story
Lifevest
My Heart’s Killing Me
Nothing Love Everything
Paint An 8
Spider In The Sugarbowl Blues
Everybody Has Scars
Entrance
Wyoming And Me
Peace Anyway
Downtown Money Waster

Download for albums 3 and 4: we.tl/t-Y3zl4AcM6n

3) The Glory Revival

Share My Blanket
Movin’ On
Natural Born Turn It On
Late Nights Again
Nobody Rides For Free
Show Me What You Can Do
It Takes One To Know One
Here Comes Daylight
Ready For Rain
Spaces In Between
Right Where You Want Me
Share My Blanket (early version)

4) No Excuse To Be Wicked

Bled To Death
Cosmic Friend
Every Little Bit
Nightingale Song
Black Tango
Horsehead
Old Man of the Midnight Sea
Tickle Tickle
Thrown It All Away
Out West
Tomorrow Is Here
Virtue And Vice

PostPosted: Wed June 10, 2020 8:55 am 
A Return To Form

Sweet. Thanks for the links

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 9:47 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Sorry folks, it’s taking longer than I thought to get through into the fog...rest assured the journey continues. Busy week.

PostPosted: Fri June 12, 2020 1:36 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Freak ‘N Roll...Into the Fog: The Black Crowes All Join Hands - this is the next live album from the Black Crowes and me, while focusing on their best known hits, comes much closer to capturing the soul and spirit of this band as a live act. The first half is a strong performance after another of their better known songs like Sting Me and Jealous Again, though the first set ends on an epic My Morning Song. This is followed by a good semi acoustic set that leads into the second half that is just one epic throw down after another, particularly from Nonfiction through the end - a great cover of The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down. Hard to Handle, Let Me Share the Ride, and Mellow Down Easy is just an amazing trifecta of that transformative power of the Black Crowes. When this band is on, their chemistry is just so good it can barely be put into words. This one is worth it.

PostPosted: Fri June 12, 2020 4:02 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Warpaint - it’s a return to form! From the ashes of Mother...wait. Okay so it is a bit of a return to the classic Black Crowes sound after the experimental Lions 7 years before, and the sort of commercial departure of By Your Side. This one has a lot more in common with their earlier releases, but cuts back to feature a lot more acoustic instruments, and you can really parse everything out well. For me, it’s still not quite on par with those first four albums but it is a definitive move in the right direction. Goodby Daughters of the Revolution and Walk Believer Walk is a great one two punch to open the album. Wee Who See the Deep was great, along with Movin’ on Down the Line, Wounded Bird and God’s Got It. Whoa Mule seems like a nice way to close this out too. I do like that this record does not feel rushed and that each of the songs get their own space to breathe.

PostPosted: Fri June 12, 2020 4:33 pm 
AnalLog

liebzz wrote:
Freak ‘N Roll...Into the Fog: The Black Crowes All Join Hands - this is the next live album from the Black Crowes and me, while focusing on their best known hits, comes much closer to capturing the soul and spirit of this band as a live act. The first half is a strong performance after another of their better known songs like Sting Me and Jealous Again, though the first set ends on an epic My Morning Song. This is followed by a good semi acoustic set that leads into the second half that is just one epic throw down after another, particularly from Nonfiction through the end - a great cover of The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down. Hard to Handle, Let Me Share the Ride, and Mellow Down Easy is just an amazing trifecta of that transformative power of the Black Crowes. When this band is on, their chemistry is just so good it can barely be put into words. This one is worth it.

All this has pretty much everything to do with Marc Ford’s return to the band during this period.

PostPosted: Fri June 12, 2020 4:54 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Yeah I also have this on CD and DVD. It’s so good.

PostPosted: Fri June 12, 2020 8:22 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I am gonna break these in two...

Before the Frost... - the first half of the live recorded double album. It’s been many years since I last heard this. Truthfully the dexterity of this band is incredible. They cover a lot of range while staying within themselves on this. I don’t think they did anything like I Ain’t Hiding, which is reminiscent of the Chili Peppers or some sort of funk rock. It’s a really fun song. Houston Don’t Dream About Me is 100% Crowes. Make Glad pushes them somewhere in jam band territory. Been a Long Time, A Train Makes A Lovely Sound, Good Morning Captain, And the Band Played On are all perfect examples of what makes this band so great.

On to ...Until the Freeze.

PostPosted: Fri June 12, 2020 8:25 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:

Before the Frost... - the first half of the live recorded double album. It’s been many years since I last heard this. Truthfully the dexterity of this band is incredible. They cover a lot of range while staying within themselves on this. I don’t think they did anything like I Ain’t Hiding, which is reminiscent of the Chili Peppers or some sort of funk rock. It’s a really fun song. Houston Don’t Dream About Me is 100% Crowes. Make Glad pushes them somewhere in jam band territory. Been a Long Time, A Train Makes A Lovely Sound, Good Morning Captain, And the Band Played On are all perfect examples of what makes this band so great.

I love this album to death. I Ain't Hiding always reminded me of the Talking Heads. My faves are What Is Home? and Houston Don't Dream About Me. It's a complete album, front to back.

PostPosted: Fri June 12, 2020 8:49 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

surfndestroy wrote:
liebzz wrote:

I love this album to death. I Ain't Hiding always reminded me of the Talking Heads. My faves are What Is Home? and Houston Don't Dream About Me. It's a complete album, front to back.

I’m with you. I’ll note that when I last heard this album many years ago I wasn’t ready to accept the second half so that’s really where my personal exploration on this is. I am more than halfway through it and loving it. It reminds me heavily of The Band, which I will note, but there is so much creativity happening on this album. It is MUCH better than I remember.

Note: I just can’t get over how they manage, live even, to somehow meld what sounds like a cross between Indian rhythms with a Celtic like sound on Aimless peacock. How is that even possible?

PostPosted: Fri June 12, 2020 9:02 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

It's a great album. Makes me smile. Perfect for the summer.

PostPosted: Fri June 12, 2020 9:08 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

... Until the Freeze - for the second half, the Black Crowes strip down for a mix of Americana/ country rockish thing that is recalls the good days of The Band. As I noted, despite this stripped down side, the creativity abound in the first half spills over to the second half. Aimless Peacock straddles some sort of mash up of Indian sitar sounding rhythms with Celtic music.. and works! Shady Grove recalls that country sounding jam band music, Garden Gate going even further. Shine Along is really exceptional for me, as was Lady of Avenue A and Roll Old Jeremiah. I wrote this off years ago when I frankly wasn’t ready to hear it. I am so glad I went back. I think summer was the perfect description provided above. An excellent album I admittedly undersold when it came out. These guys know what they are doing. That they recorded this live is that much more impressive.

PostPosted: Sat June 13, 2020 12:12 am 
AnalLog

Before the Frost...Until the Freeze should be listened to as it is on the vinyl double album with this tracklisting:

Aimless Peacock
Good Morning Captain
Been a Long Time (Waiting on Love)
Greenhorn
Appaloosa
Shady Grove
Garden Gate
Shine Along
Roll Old Jeremiah
Houston Don't Dream About Me
I Ain't Hiding
Kept My Soul
Lady of Avenue A
Make Glad
And the Band Played On...
What is Home?
So Many Times
A Train Still Makes a Lonely Sound
Fork in the River
The Last Place That Love Lives

For me, The Black Crowes have two eras where they achieved true greatness, first with Marc Ford, and secondly with Luther Dickinson. Everything they did with other guitarists just doesn't compare. Warpaint, as you noted, was a fantastic return to form. And this one, well, they just took everything they loved musically and incorporated it all, exploring bluegrass, country & western, folk, psychedelia...this is truly a record deserving of the phrase "tour de force." As someone who lived and died by the Southern Harmony/Amorica sound when it came to this band, songs like Appaloosa, Roll Old Jeremiah, Houston Don't Dream About Me, Shine Along, Last Place That Love Lives just continue to blow me away. The musicianship is phenomenal (again, Luther is a player's player and just a fucking monster, and I give him credit for elevating TBC's game). And then you factor in that these songs were all recorded live. It's an absolute masterpiece.

PostPosted: Sat June 13, 2020 12:19 am 
AnalLog

Houston is just so perfect.

PostPosted: Sat June 13, 2020 1:25 am 
Future Drummer

Superblood Wolfmoon wrote:
Before the Frost...Until the Freeze should be listened to as it is on the vinyl double album with this tracklisting:

Aimless Peacock
Good Morning Captain
Been a Long Time (Waiting on Love)
Greenhorn
Appaloosa
Shady Grove
Garden Gate
Shine Along
Roll Old Jeremiah
Houston Don't Dream About Me
I Ain't Hiding
Kept My Soul
Lady of Avenue A
Make Glad
And the Band Played On...
What is Home?
So Many Times
A Train Still Makes a Lonely Sound
Fork in the River
The Last Place That Love Lives

For me, The Black Crowes have two eras where they achieved true greatness, first with Marc Ford, and secondly with Luther Dickinson. Everything they did with other guitarists just doesn't compare. Warpaint, as you noted, was a fantastic return to form. And this one, well, they just took everything they loved musically and incorporated it all, exploring bluegrass, country & western, folk, psychedelia...this is truly a record deserving of the phrase "tour de force." As someone who lived and died by the Southern Harmony/Amorica sound when it came to this band, songs like Appaloosa, Roll Old Jeremiah, Houston Don't Dream About Me, Shine Along, Last Place That Love Lives just continue to blow me away. The musicianship is phenomenal (again, Luther is a player's player and just a fucking monster, and I give him credit for elevating TBC's game). And then you factor in that these songs were all recorded live. It's an absolute masterpiece.

Side two is a tough listen for most people. Starting with Appaloosa, it is pretty bluegrass-ish. Houston beautifully melds bluegrass with mainstream rock vocal delivery to end the side. That said, Appaloosa always blows me away, such a spot on performance.

PostPosted: Sat June 13, 2020 12:25 pm 
The Master

I love the songwriting period with Luther but not as much with him live. The band felt a little less punchy - though finely aged.

Honestly when I saw them again with Jackie green that felt a bit more like the crows of old. Much dirtier. Much more intense. I was really really hoping they’d write and record with him in the band.

Last edited by Strat on Sat June 13, 2020 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 760 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 38  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands