The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 760 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Fri November 22, 2013 4:21 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

This thread has inspired me to go listen to these guys. Always just had a casual interest in them, while always respecting their body of work. Never seen them live, but now I'm really itching to.

I've been addicted to this song for quite some time now.

PostPosted: Fri November 22, 2013 4:34 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Goodbye Daughters was a great song for them to reintroduce themselves.

EJ you ever dive into Southern Harmony?

PostPosted: Fri November 22, 2013 4:39 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

evenslow wrote:
Goodbye Daughters was a great song for them to reintroduce themselves.

EJ you ever dive into Southern Harmony?

I've heard that album many times, but haven't in years. All the singles were pretty much mainstays on the radio back then, so I know those. I'm gonna work my way through their catalog again. I'm really digging Before The Frost right now.

PostPosted: Fri November 22, 2013 4:42 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Nice. Goodbye Daughters has a very Southern Harmony vibe to it.

Before the Frost is as good as any. Great idea, well executed. Exquisite, lived-in playing.

PostPosted: Fri November 22, 2013 4:47 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

evenslow wrote:
Nice. Goodbye Daughters has a very Southern Harmony vibe to it.

Before the Frost is as good as any. Great idea, well executed. Exquisite, lived-in playing.

That's what I'm getting out of it, too.

I think The Black Crowes had always just struck me as a good radio band. A lot of friends were really into them, but I just never made any effort to listen to their albums. But, right now, this sound just fits for me.

PostPosted: Fri November 22, 2013 4:57 pm 
Stone's Bitch

A mature record for a mature man.

PostPosted: Fri November 22, 2013 5:08 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

evenslow wrote:

:thumbsup: Its okay, you can call me an old f*ck. Not sure about my maturity yet...

I'm reading a bit about their history right now. Safe to say this has been a pretty dysfunctional band, eh? One guy quit to become a yoga instructor? 8-)

PostPosted: Fri November 22, 2013 6:32 pm 
AnalLog

EJ wrote:
evenslow wrote:

:thumbsup: Its okay, you can call me an old f*ck. Not sure about my maturity yet...

I'm reading a bit about their history right now. Safe to say this has been a pretty dysfunctional band, eh? One guy quit to become a yoga instructor? 8-)

yoga instructor?

PostPosted: Fri November 22, 2013 6:45 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Not sure about yoga but there has always been a revolving door with the second guitarist and bass, though Sven Pipien has been playing bass for about 15 years now.

The three that have always remained intact are the Robinsons and Steve Gorman. As I said before, Gorman being the mainstay at drums is an indispensable throughline for this band.

The Robinsons fought each other constantly back in the day but I think the hiatuses have helped that some.

PostPosted: Fri November 22, 2013 6:56 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

MattA75 wrote:
EJ wrote:
evenslow wrote:

yoga instructor?

Yeah, Johnny Colt. I don't want to muck up this thread as I'm not versed at all in their history. Just thought it was a funny side note.

http://www.accessatlanta.com/news/enter ... ogi/nQ3F2/

PostPosted: Sat November 23, 2013 3:58 am 
AnalLog

evenslow wrote:
Not sure about yoga but there has always been a revolving door with the second guitarist and bass, though Sven Pipien has been playing bass for about 15 years now.

The three that have always remained intact are the Robinsons and Steve Gorman. As I said before, Gorman being the mainstay at drums is an indispensable throughline for this band.

The Robinsons fought each other constantly back in the day but I think the hiatuses have helped that some.

I think roughly 3+ years of playing to 1/10 of what they can draw together made them stop the petty bullshit from the early years and make them realize they need each other

the 05 shows before Gorman came back are a mixed bag...the rest of the band is pretty damn tight, but Dubrow was in way over his head...I was so happy when Gorman came back at that point in time

PostPosted: Sat November 23, 2013 8:47 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I like Sven way more than Colt but I didn't know they played without Steve. Weird. I once saw them without a keyboardist and it was awesome. I think Eddie quit right before the show but from what I remember Chris Rich and Marc Ford killed it that night. I left feeling blown away. I must have seen them 25-30 times and the performances of Bad Luck Blue Eyes that night might be the best thing I've ever seen on stage.

Only seen them with Jackie Green once but he was damn good. Glad they started varying the setlists up more this tour.

My Ranking.

Southern Harmony
Amorica
Three Snakes
Before the Frost/Until the Freeze (i look at it as one album statement, I heard it like that first anyway)
Lions
Warpaint
SYMM
By Your Side

Its hard to look at the Lost Crowes or whatever you want to call that collection of songs as an album on its own. Many of those songs were changed or polished up then appeared on later albums in some form. There's a few on there that I simply will never understand how they could be left off an album; another roadside tragedy, feathers and title song are great tracks. Title song live is much better than the studio version out there though.

PostPosted: Sat November 23, 2013 11:45 pm 
AnalLog

veddar10 wrote:
I like Sven way more than Colt but I didn't know they played without Steve. Weird. I once saw them without a keyboardist and it was awesome. I think Eddie quit right before the show but from what I remember Chris Rich and Marc Ford killed it that night. I left feeling blown away. I must have seen them 25-30 times and the performances of Bad Luck Blue Eyes that night might be the best thing I've ever seen on stage.

Only seen them with Jackie Green once but he was damn good. Glad they started varying the setlists up more this tour.

My Ranking.

Southern Harmony
Amorica
Three Snakes
Before the Frost/Until the Freeze (i look at it as one album statement, I heard it like that first anyway)
Lions
Warpaint
SYMM
By Your Side

Its hard to look at the Lost Crowes or whatever you want to call that collection of songs as an album on its own. Many of those songs were changed or polished up then appeared on later albums in some form. There's a few on there that I simply will never understand how they could be left off an album; another roadside tragedy, feathers and title song are great tracks. Title song live is much better than the studio version out there though.

the Orlando January 06 show? Ed didn't quit, and I know I used to know the real story behind him not being there but I sure as hell don't remember now...pretty much a forbearing of what was to come after August of 2006 though...and I'm with you on Sven, he should've been in the band from the beginning given his relationship with Chris and Rich

despite their claims, I don't buy that Tall was a finished product...Band however was absolutely a finished product that was presented to their record label and rejected...

Steve came back on 5.5.05 in Atlanta...every date before then in 05 had Bill Dobrow on drums...Chris usually lost it on him off mic at least once or twice a show...his last show (Louisville I think?) is fucking fantastic though...I think he knew Steve was coming back and the pressure was off

PostPosted: Sun November 24, 2013 12:45 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I know a lot of people are a little (or maybe a lot) put off by Chris's antics but I find it kind of endearing. I like my rock stars to be a little dicky. Way more fun than "aw shucks" false modesty. Easy to say if you don't have to deal with them. :D

PostPosted: Sun November 24, 2013 11:47 am 
A Return To Form

I always wanted to make some old-school live albums out of the full-show Instant Live recordings the Crowes made available of their various runs. So here's my personal "best of" compilations from May 2005, in which the classic line-up reunited for the first time and everything was captured in multi-track stereo glory. Chris' voice is a bit ragged in places, but Rich & Marc's interplay alone is worth careful study.

If this violates official policies, mod delete thread, but as far as I can tell only 05/06 & 05/20 are even still available the LBC.com store, so no harm no foul.

Oh, and these are my personal "idealized" versions of a Crowes show, with songs generally segueing one to another, and with different performances from different shows edited together to make a better version of a particular song. So it's not always true to the source material, but that's kinda the point.

My shoes hurt,
Bob Lamonta

OH ATLANTA (Tabernacle, May 5-8, 2005)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/gahi1 ... tlanta.zip
1) Virtue & Vice
2) Black Moon Jam > Black Moon Creeping
3) Cosmic Friend
4) Sometimes Salvation
5) Peace Anyway
6) Soul Singing [05/05 & 05/07]
7) Willin'
8) Hard To Handle Jam
9) Don't Let Me Down
10) Yer Blues

1) Greasy Grass River
2) Horsehead
3) Under A Mountain
4) Thorn Jam [05/05 & 05/07]
5) Thorn In My Pride [05/05 & 05/07]
6) Descending
7) Girl From A Pawnshop
8) How Much For Your Wings?
9) Tumbling Dice
10) Happy

ALL JOIN HANDS I (Various, May 2005)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/3obkd ... ands_I.zip
1) Jealous Again [05/10]
2) Paint An 8 [05/11]
3) Another Roadside Tragedy [05/19 & 05/06]
4) Thorn Jam [05/19]
5) My Morning Song [05/11 & 05/20]
6) Crash On The Levee (Down In The Flood) [05/14]
7) Nebakanezer [05/14]
8) Evil Eye [05/14]
9) It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry [05/11]

ALL JOIN HANDS II (Various, May 2005)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/98p9f ... nds_II.zip
1) Comin' Home [05/10]
2) Gone [05/19]
3) Soul Singing [05/15]
4) Bring On, Bring On [05/10]
5) Girl From The North Country [05/19 & 05/07]
6) Cosmic Wings Jam [05/11 & 05/15]
7) Thorn Jam [05/15]
8) Thorn In My Pride [05/15]
9) Baby We Got A Date [05/19]
10) Bad Luck Blue Eyes Goodbye [05/19]

ALL JOIN HANDS III (Various, May 2005)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/t5ckd ... ds_III.zip
1) Don't Do It [05/20]
2) Good Friday [05/20 & 05/06]
3) Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You [05/20]
4) Black Moon Jam (inc. Long Hair Rap) [05/14]
5) Young Man, Old Man [05/13]
6) Pre-Road Downs [05/15]
7) Ballad In Urgency [05/17]
8) Wiser Time [05/17]
9) Late Nights Again Jam [05/17]
10) Hard To Handle [05/17]
11) Shake Your Money Maker [05/19]

Credit to Bob- just wanted to pass along some great stuff.

PostPosted: Sun November 24, 2013 12:44 pm 
AnalLog

The couple of Late Nights Again jams from that leg were incredible, a shame that song pretty much got buried after getting a couple of plays at Brothers of a Feather shows

and they need to bring back that long jam in the middle of Soul Singing, that jam kicked ass

PostPosted: Sun November 24, 2013 3:15 pm 
Broken Tamborine

MattA75 wrote:
veddar10 wrote:

My Ranking.

Southern Harmony
Amorica
Three Snakes
Lions
Warpaint
SYMM
By Your Side

the Orlando January 06 show? Ed didn't quit, and I know I used to know the real story behind him not being there but I sure as hell don't remember now...pretty much a forbearing of what was to come after August of 2006 though...and I'm with you on Sven, he should've been in the band from the beginning given his relationship with Chris and Rich

despite their claims, I don't buy that Tall was a finished product...Band however was absolutely a finished product that was presented to their record label and rejected...

Steve came back on 5.5.05 in Atlanta...every date before then in 05 had Bill Dobrow on drums...Chris usually lost it on him off mic at least once or twice a show...his last show (Louisville I think?) is fucking fantastic though...I think he knew Steve was coming back and the pressure was off

Yeah that was the show. I couldn't really remember what happened with Ed on that show just that he wasn't there. It was an incredible show though. Come to think of it you're right about Band. That was rejected by the label. I remember reading that and thought they must have been retarded but Amorica came after so it is what it is. I don't think I ever saw them without Gorman. Kinda glad I didn't from what I am reading here. This band rules. They should do another brothers of a feather run.

PostPosted: Sun November 24, 2013 3:24 pm 
A Return To Form

http://www.mediafire.com/download/gahi1 ... tlanta.zip

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3obkd ... ands_I.zip

http://www.mediafire.com/download/98p9f ... nds_II.zip

http://www.mediafire.com/download/t5ckd ... ds_III.zip

Sorry dudes.

PostPosted: Tue November 26, 2013 2:03 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

When they were doing that live album with Jimmy Page they weren't allowed to include any of their songs are any of those performances floating around?

PostPosted: Tue November 26, 2013 2:22 pm 
AnalLog

bada wrote:
When they were doing that live album with Jimmy Page they weren't allowed to include any of their songs are any of those performances floating around?

there's a couple of soundboards out there, I think the LA shows in full are out and I think there's a show from the New York area with soundboard audio too

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 760 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 38  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands