Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: wilco

Tue May 02, 2017 8:14 pm

Interesting picks.

I think my top 4 is pretty well set and I go by what I would want to listen to most right now (not necessarily "the best).

1. A Ghost is Born
2. Summerteeth
3. Being There
4. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

The rest changes depending on the mood. Least listened to by far are AM and Wilco (the album).

Tue May 02, 2017 8:15 pm

What's everyone's thoughts on the band's various side projects?

Loose Fur: I fucking love these guys, especially the second record.

The Autumn Defense: Have barely listened. Any recommendations?

Nels Cline (various jazz permutations): Lovers was one of my favorite albums of 2016; I'll be listening for years. I also really love Draw Breath -- there are some amazing compositions on that one.

Nels Cline (with Mike Watt): Contemplating the Engine Room is one of my all-time faves.

Nels Cline (w/Geraldine Fibbers): Great stuff, though I lost my copy a while back. :-(

Glenn Kotche: Too smart for its own good. I can listen to Steve Reich, Terry Riley, John Adams, Rhys Chatham, any number of minimalist composers...But their stuff is way more interesting to me than Glenn's solo records, which I've found to be very boring despite their technical wizardry.

Tweedy: I like this one well enough, I guess. Sort of lukewarm on it.

Am I forgetting anything?

Tue May 02, 2017 8:37 pm

There's Golden Smog, which has some great songs (pecan pie, radio king, please tell my brother, love and mercy), and the mermaid avenue stuff (california stars, at my window sad and lonely, hesitating beauty, hoodoo voodoo)

Tue May 02, 2017 8:43 pm

Chris_H_2 wrote:There's Golden Smog, which has some great songs (pecan pie, radio king, please tell my brother, love and mercy), and the mermaid avenue stuff (california stars, at my window sad and lonely, hesitating beauty, hoodoo voodoo)

:thumbsup: I listened to the first Mermaid Ave record a few times when it came out, but never flipped for it. Have never listened to the subsequent releases. It doesn't make much sense, since I also really like Woody Guthrie and Billy Bragg...Which is your favorite record from this series? There's three, right?

People seem to love the Golden Smog stuff. It's a little too "perky alt-country" for me. Have never been a big fan of Son Volt, either (though I used to be in a band with their drummer).

Tue May 02, 2017 9:59 pm

Used to play the shit out of Mermaid Ave 2 back in the day. "Airline to Heaven," "Secret of the Sea," "Remember the Mountain Bed" - fun shit.

Tue May 02, 2017 10:18 pm

I love the first two volumes. Never heard Volume 3 -- any good?

Tue May 02, 2017 11:53 pm

yankee hotel foxtrot
a ghost is born
summerteeth
being there
schmilco
star wars
the whole love
wilco the album
sky blue sky
am

Wed May 03, 2017 1:01 am

Kevin Davis wrote:I love the first two volumes. Never heard Volume 3 -- any good?

never ended up getting it

Wed May 03, 2017 2:11 am

i have no idea if this has been posted in here, but
https://www.jambase.com/article/mike-watt-nels-cline-greg-saunier-nick-reinhart-form-new-group-big-walnuts-yonder

Wed May 03, 2017 2:53 am

Holy shit that song is awesome! I'm so excited for this! Great work snatch

Wed May 03, 2017 3:58 pm

if i ever was a child might be my favorite song lyrically...it's top 5 at worst

Wed May 03, 2017 7:50 pm

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:if i ever was a child might be my favorite song lyrically...it's top 5 at worst

yeah that might have been my favorite song of 2016, and definitely up there in the Wilco canon.

Normal American Kids is great too. dammit, i love Schmilco.

Wed May 03, 2017 9:14 pm

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:if i ever was a child might be my favorite song lyrically...it's top 5 at worst

do you too cry like a window pane?

Fri July 07, 2017 11:46 pm

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/wilco/201 ... 4f8f0.html :shock:

Sat July 08, 2017 3:40 am

spike wrote:http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/wilco/2017/mass-moca-north-adams-ma-3be4f8f0.html :shock:

Oh that is fantastic. Would love to have been there for such a thing.

Sat July 08, 2017 3:52 am

god damn

Sat July 08, 2017 5:30 am

Holy cow!

Sat July 08, 2017 5:40 am

That would be something.

Sat July 08, 2017 2:25 pm

I think i'm buying that: https://wilco.kungfustore.com/roadcase.html

Sat July 22, 2017 5:20 am

I'm still really in love with this album. I think it's perfect; I wouldn't change a thing about it, and it continues to reveal lost of lovely little pockets of interplay, texture, and space. It's almost like a JJ Cale album.
Post a reply