Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: wilco

Tue April 18, 2017 5:48 pm

verb_to_trust wrote:Tweedy solo acoustic covers record coming out. Laminated Cat is on it. I love Laminated Cat.

I feel like this post kind of went unnoticed. A Tweedy solo acoustic album is something Wilco-related that I've been waiting on ever since his solo performances from the I Am Trying to Break your Heart doc.

One of my favorite parts of that doc is when Laminated Cat is being teased or demo'd or whatever.

Here's something in case anyone missed it:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/ ... toget.html

Tracklist doesn't seem amazing on paper, but who knows

01. “Via Chicago”
02. “Laminated Cat”
03. “Lost Love”
04. “Muzzle Of Bees”
05. “Ashes Of American Flags”
06. “Dawned On Me”
07. “In A Future Age”
08. “I’m Trying To Break Your Heart”
09. “Hummingbird”
10. “I’m Always In Love”
11. “Sky Blue Sky”

Tue April 18, 2017 11:17 pm

Richard Thompson made an album like this a few years ago (probably around the time of Americanarama and the Tweedy-produced "Still" so maybe that's where he got the idea). I'm willing to be proven wrong but I'm pretty ambivalent about this. I also wonder why he chose this instead of a proper release of one of his many solo shows.

Tue April 18, 2017 11:22 pm

Count me as also ambivalent. I'm certainly not upset about it...But Tweedy without Wilco, doing a bunch of stripped down songs I already own, is not super interesting to me. Maybe if it were a live set I had attended I'd feel differently.

Tue April 18, 2017 11:31 pm

Suit yourselves. I'm always looking for more background music to have on while I'm computing or doing dishes.

Wed April 19, 2017 3:46 am

Isn't sky blue sky stripped down to begin with

Wed April 19, 2017 4:08 am

i got bugs wrote:Isn't sky blue sky stripped down to begin with

I wouldn't call anything with Nels Cline on it "stripped down," but compared to the sonic chaos that Jim O'Rourke brought to the previous two albums, I know what you mean. I imagine these versions will simply be guitar/voice/possibly harmonica.

Wed April 19, 2017 4:13 pm

washing machine wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:Tweedy solo acoustic covers record coming out. Laminated Cat is on it. I love Laminated Cat.

I feel like this post kind of went unnoticed. A Tweedy solo acoustic album is something Wilco-related that I've been waiting on ever since his solo performances from the I Am Trying to Break your Heart doc.

One of my favorite parts of that doc is when Laminated Cat is being teased or demo'd or whatever.

Here's something in case anyone missed it:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/ ... toget.html

Tracklist doesn't seem amazing on paper, but who knows

01. “Via Chicago”
02. “Laminated Cat”
03. “Lost Love”
04. “Muzzle Of Bees”
05. “Ashes Of American Flags”
06. “Dawned On Me”
07. “In A Future Age”
08. “I’m Trying To Break Your Heart”
09. “Hummingbird”
10. “I’m Always In Love”
11. “Sky Blue Sky”

pretty cool, but I'm just as happy spinning the Sunken Treasure songs. That live album doesn't get old for me.

Mon May 01, 2017 3:24 pm

25% off their entire online store, for you vinyl hounds.

Mon May 01, 2017 6:12 pm

dammit I promised not to buy a record this week and it's only monday

Mon May 01, 2017 8:05 pm

I kind of want to pick up summerteeth and being there. Those albums really trigger that late teens early 20s nostalgia along with YHF.

Tue May 02, 2017 7:36 pm

second show on saturday night:

Where Do I Begin
Nope
Bull Black Nova
Hummingbird
Please Be Patient With Me
Listening To That Wind That Blows
One Wing
New Madrid
Sam Stone [John Prine]
Radio King
Muzzle Of Bees
If I Ever Was A Child
Love And Mercy [Brian Wilson]
Common Sense
The Ruling Class
How To Fight Loneliness
Summer Teeth
Someone To Lose
new song-Ain't No Doubt About It
Chinese Apple
Everlasting Everything
Laminated Cat (aka Not For The Season)
new song-All In It Together
I Must Be High
You Are Not Alone
What Light
A Magazine Called Sunset
Monday
Another Man's Done Gone (performed a cappella)

Tue May 02, 2017 7:38 pm

Sorry, another living room show? How does Bull Black Nova sound on an acoustic?

Tue May 02, 2017 7:42 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:Sorry, another living room show? How does Bull Black Nova sound on an acoustic?

a-fucking-mazing. it's one of my favorite songs he plays acoustically. this one's from about 5 years ago at the vic (audio only):

and yes, it was the second living room show. really laid back.

Tue May 02, 2017 7:45 pm

This sounds great, and very reminiscent of Eddie's own Dead Man. Jeff does a great job of building the tension with just the guitar. One of my favorites off Wilco (The Album), I should make an effort to listen to that record more. It's almost like their own Avocado album -- a bunch of stellar songs that are basically retreads of songs they've done before. But it's way better than Avocado.

Tue May 02, 2017 7:50 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:This sounds great, and very reminiscent of Eddie's own Dead Man. Jeff does a great job of building the tension with just the guitar. One of my favorites off Wilco (The Album), I should make an effort to listen to that record more. It's almost like their own Avocado album -- a bunch of stellar songs that are basically retreads of songs they've done before. But it's way better than Avocado.

ha ha -- tallest midget.

i don't think i've listened to that album in years. it's not one of my favorites that's for sure. the whole gimmicky thing with naming the album wilco the album and the "wilco will love you baby" rubbed me the wrong way. and that's a criticism having nothing to do with the actual songs.

but i LOVE bull black nova. full-band live is amazing.

Tue May 02, 2017 7:59 pm

did you guys already rank the wilco albums?

Tue May 02, 2017 8:02 pm

evenslow wrote:did you guys already rank the wilco albums?

Yes, somewhere, but please have at it. I'll try it again too, because I had some misgivings.

Tue May 02, 2017 8:03 pm

Chris_H_2 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:This sounds great, and very reminiscent of Eddie's own Dead Man. Jeff does a great job of building the tension with just the guitar. One of my favorites off Wilco (The Album), I should make an effort to listen to that record more. It's almost like their own Avocado album -- a bunch of stellar songs that are basically retreads of songs they've done before. But it's way better than Avocado.

ha ha -- tallest midget.

i don't think i've listened to that album in years. it's not one of my favorites that's for sure. the whole gimmicky thing with naming the album wilco the album and the "wilco will love you baby" rubbed me the wrong way. and that's a criticism having nothing to do with the actual songs.

but i LOVE bull black nova. full-band live is amazing.

Plus they wore those horrific suits on tour!

Tue May 02, 2017 8:06 pm

This is what I came up with before:

tragabigzanda wrote:A Ghost Is Born
Sky Blue Sky
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Star Wars
Schmilco
Wilco (The Album)
Being There
AM
Summerteeth
The Whole Love

I'd say it's more or less the same today. My biggest problem is with spots 3-5. I can always appreciate the genius that is YHF, but I'll be damned if I ever put it on these days. It's a fairly impenetrable record, and I've really come around to the smooth taste of Sky Blue Sky, Star Wars, and Schmilco. So they would probably get shuffled on any given day. But AGIB will always be my favorite, and Wilco (The Album) and everything below that aren't apt to change any time soon.

Tue May 02, 2017 8:09 pm

yeah, here's mine (it hasn't change since page 1 except for the 2 new albums that came out):

1. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
2. AGIB
3. Being There
4. Summerteeth
5. Star Wars
6. The Whole Love
7. Sky Blue Sky
8. Schmilco
9. Wilco
10. AM
Post a reply