Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: wilco

Mon January 10, 2022 7:24 pm

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:I’ve still never listened to Jeff’s solo albums. Just don’t feel the urge.

Together at Last is the solo album I'd been waiting for ever since that solo show footage on I Am Trying to Break Your Heart. Just Jeff, a guitar, a harmonica and some Wilco songs I know and love repurposed for a good walk and some headphones. Now that it's a thing that exists, I am ashamed to say that I don't listen to it nearly enough. Careful what you wish for, I guess.

PS -- Sorry for bottom paging this, dad.

dad wrote:Warm and Warmer are good. haven't listened to Love is the King enough to have an opinion.

Mon January 10, 2022 10:06 pm

yeah, i really like warm.

i don't think i've ever listened to warmer though.

Tue January 11, 2022 1:05 am

washing machine wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:I’ve still never listened to Jeff’s solo albums. Just don’t feel the urge.

Together at Last is the solo album I'd been waiting for ever since that solo show footage on I Am Trying to Break Your Heart. Just Jeff, a guitar, a harmonica and some Wilco songs I know and love repurposed for a good walk and some headphones. Now that it's a thing that exists, I am ashamed to say that I don't listen to it nearly enough. Careful what you wish for, I guess.

PS -- Sorry for bottom paging this, dad.

dad wrote:Warm and Warmer are good. haven't listened to Love is the King enough to have an opinion.

I'd be willing to check that out since it's Wilco songs.

Tue January 11, 2022 1:30 am

Loose Fur's second record is the one you all need to hear if you haven't done so before

Tue January 11, 2022 1:34 am

tragabigzanda wrote:Loose Fur's second record is the one you all need to hear if you haven't done so before

What the frig is the name of it

Tue January 11, 2022 1:37 am

Born Again in the USA

Tue January 11, 2022 4:59 am

tragabigzanda wrote:Loose Fur's second record is the one you all need to hear if you haven't done so before

The third one is still in the works

Tue January 11, 2022 5:03 am

Yes but I’m not holding my breath.

Fri January 14, 2022 2:13 pm

Schmilco is definitely my favorite album since AGIB. Just Say Goodbye always kills me, especially the hushed “as if I have answers…” line near the end. I could listen to it all day.

Tue January 18, 2022 5:23 am

I don’t know how to post pictures but I’m at Sky Blue Sky in Mexico and Wilco just played their first night set—a smattering from every record but Star Wars. Posted the setlist at Setlist.fm but highlight for me were Side with the Seeds, a rare performance of You Never Know, and The Lonely 1. Band is TIGHT

Wed January 19, 2022 3:45 am

Nice. Side With the Seeds is a killer song.

Wed January 19, 2022 5:44 am

Just saw the set list from tonight’s show. Crazy good.

Red-Eyed and Blue
I Got You (At the End of the Century)
Wishful Thinking
Say You Miss Me
At Least That's What You Said
If I Ever Was a Child
I Must Be High
Cold Slope
King of You
Country Disappeared
Too Far Apart
Pot Kettle Black (with Soccer Mommy)
Hummingbird
How to Fight Loneliness
Impossible Germany
Kingpin
Passenger Side (with Kurt Vile)
Dawned on Me
Airline to Heaven
California Stars

Encore:
You Are Not Alone (with Mavis Staples)
Freedom Highway

Wed January 19, 2022 6:14 am

Yes! Mavis sand Freedom Highway, too. On California Stars, Ohmme, whose members have been filling in for Mikael Jorgenson, all sang/played, as did Chris Funk from Malkmus’s band on banjo, and James Elkington (Zincs, Tweedy, and more) on lead guitar.

Mavis was INCREDIBLE.

Tue April 19, 2022 2:32 pm

YHF deluxe packages announced. Super deluxe is 11 LPs, lol. Includes the album, an alternate version of the album, two discs worth of alternate/working versions, one disc of demos (not sure of the difference between the former and the latter), plus some live sets.

New liner notes and essays. Vinyl masters are cut by Chris Bellman (great news).

There are smaller versions but their store keeps crashing. Super Deluxe clocks in at $250. There’s a 7-disc version that is the album, alt album, and two live sets for $150. I’ll maybe bite on this one.

Tue April 19, 2022 2:35 pm

i don't think i'm going to spend the money on this, but I'll look forward to hearing it on streaming as wilco intended when they made the album in 2001/2002.

Tue April 19, 2022 2:38 pm

Yeah I’d love to know more about this alt version before I spring for it. If I’m gonna listen to it a few times then go back to the original, there’s no need for me to buy the set.

Tue April 19, 2022 2:43 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:Yeah I’d love to know more about this alt version before I spring for it. If I’m gonna listen to it a few times then go back to the original, there’s no need for me to buy the set.

years ago, there was a music blog, something owl...owl and bear, maybe? anyway, they had a version of YHF that included some alt takes and the engineer demos.

i used to have it, but i'm not sure what i did with it. i wonder if that's what some of the alternate versions will be.

Tue April 19, 2022 3:01 pm

I haven't heard it in a while but the YHF Demos bootleg was pretty awesome -- especially given its sordid history I can easily imagine this being an album about which the working tapes really tell a tale. This is a pretty deep dive for one album and over 82 tracks I can't imagine it won't feel like a barrel scrape in places, but I bet this ends up being a cool release. Will stream for sure, and will likely end up buying one of the physical editions after hearing it all.

Tue April 19, 2022 3:02 pm

There was a book they put out at the time that had a CD of demos too. Kind of bridges the gap from Summerteeth to YHF.

Tue April 19, 2022 3:04 pm

trag, the PM i sent is not the demos. i was wrong. it's a compilation of stuff they were working on and playing around that time.

i know they're out there though.
Post a reply