Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

wilco

Sun February 03, 2013 2:52 am

Im by no means an expert on their stuff, but Im in love with them after seeing them live this year, and we are watching ashes of American flags and man oh man Jeff is the man

Re: wilco

Sun February 03, 2013 3:22 am

should i feel bad that i got scared during via Chicago live? that song made me jump twice

Sun February 03, 2013 3:28 am

This band has been a recent reappreciation of mine. I had those first 2 records and Yankee but lost touch. I was even listening to Sky Blue Sky this morning. It's got that real mid-70's Beach Boys vibe when Carl started running things musically.

Sun February 03, 2013 3:31 am

Rank 'em? Sure, why not.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
A Ghost is Born
The Whole Love
Summerteeth
Sky Blue Sky
Wilco (The Album)
Being There
A.M.

I love 'em all, though.

Mon February 04, 2013 4:39 am

Kevin Davis wrote:Rank 'em? Sure, why not.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
A Ghost is Born
The Whole Love
Summerteeth
Sky Blue Sky
Wilco (The Album)
Being There
A.M.

I love 'em all, though.

I think that would be my ranking at the moment, but i really haven't given a.m. And being there much time, and for me Yankee and ghost are super close, maybe not 1a and 1b, but not far from it

Mon February 04, 2013 1:53 pm

I have heard all the albums but have not really devoted many listening sessions with them. I will say I love the Mermaid Avenue Collection with Volume I getting a lot of spins.

Mon February 04, 2013 2:07 pm

oasisfan35 wrote:I have heard all the albums but have not really devoted many listening sessions with them. I will say I love the Mermaid Avenue Collection with Volume I getting a lot of spins.

i was the same way before seeing the whole band live( i did see jeff solo a few years ago) i listened to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot a ton when i first got it, but then nothing else really did anyhting for me on first listen so i wouldnt give them the time they needed, but as with lots of bands for me, as soon as i saw what they do live it clicked and i became obsessed with them, they are so good that i wonder how i didnt realize it sooner

Mon February 04, 2013 2:09 pm

My rankings:

1. Summerteeth
2. A Ghost Is Born
3. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
4. Being There
5. The Whole Love
6. Sky Blue Sky
7. A.M.
8. Wilco (The Album)

Mon February 04, 2013 3:35 pm

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
A Ghost is Born
The Whole Love
Summerteeth
Sky Blue Sky
Wilco (The Album)
Being There
A.M.

I love 'em all, though.

I think that would be my ranking at the moment, but i really haven't given a.m. And being there much time, and for me Yankee and ghost are super close, maybe not 1a and 1b, but not far from it

Wow. Not a lot of love for Being There. That's usually pretty high on everyone's list.

Mon February 04, 2013 5:37 pm

My list goes:

YHF
A Ghost is Born
Being There
Sky Blue Sky
Summerteeth
A.M.
The Whole Love
Wilco (The Album)

I obviously don't dig the newer stuff as much but they're still one of my top live bands. I had a great time at their show at Ommegang Brewery last summer.

Mon February 04, 2013 5:38 pm

Wilco is a very enjoyable band. One of my favorites, in fact. My favorite album is A Ghost Is Born, and then Summerteeth and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot constantly spar for second place. Believe it or not, Sky Blue Sky has been climbing up the rungs gradually over the last six years, but I don't know that it will ever surface the north, so to speak.

Mon February 04, 2013 5:39 pm

Chris_H_2 wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
A Ghost is Born
The Whole Love
Summerteeth
Sky Blue Sky
Wilco (The Album)
Being There
A.M.

I love 'em all, though.

Wow. Not a lot of love for Being There. That's usually pretty high on everyone's list.

ive just gotta get through it some more, they have so much good stuff that it can be a bit overwhelming to try and know all of it

Mon February 04, 2013 8:40 pm

The more I listen, the more I love these guys.

And everything post-AGIB has been climbing for me when I go back and listen after the initial disappointment. These guys are very easy to put on in pretty much any circumstance.

Mon February 04, 2013 9:47 pm

1. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
2. AGIB
3. Being There
4. Summerteeth
5. The Whole Love
6. Sky Blue Sky
7. Wilco
8. AM

Mon February 04, 2013 9:48 pm

I think the band has really struggled in the studio without Jim O'Rourke and Jay Bennett.

Mon February 04, 2013 11:46 pm

1. Sky Blue Sky
2. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
3. A Ghost Is Born

I think I've played Summerteeth and Being There but they didn't really click. Might pull those out afterwhile and listen.

Tue February 05, 2013 2:26 am

Chris_H_2 wrote:I think the band has really struggled in the studio without Jim O'Rourke and Jay Bennett.

More so Jim than Jay.

Thu February 07, 2013 7:21 pm

Anyone watch Shameless? They dissed Wilco a few weeks ago...

"Is that music for dad's with receding hairlines and shit?"

Thu February 07, 2013 10:27 pm

southp wrote:Anyone watch Shameless? They dissed Wilco a few weeks ago...

As offensive as that stereotype is, they may actually have a point.

Thu February 07, 2013 10:29 pm

Fuzzcharger wrote:
southp wrote:Anyone watch Shameless? They dissed Wilco a few weeks ago...

As offensive as that stereotype is, they may actually have a point.

So I guess Soundgarden and Pearl Jam, and pretty much any band with members who are 35+, are "dad rock"?
Post a reply