The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 973 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 49  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dylan
PostPosted: Wed January 13, 2016 12:28 am 
Future Drummer

A lot of people from my parents' generation seem to believe an urban legend that "Like A Rolling Stone" was recorded in one take, possibly because of something Al Kooper said a long time ago (he loves to tell stories, lots of them bullshit). It wasn't until this new set came out that some of them even believed me.

PostPosted: Wed January 13, 2016 12:33 am 
Broken Tamborine

Daniel Bryan wrote:
I'm spinning "Oh Mercy" on vinyl, finally. Ordered it over the festive season and it arrived today. Its glorious, easily one of my top 5 Dylan records.

What's everyone's favourites from this one? I adore Most of The Time, What Good Am I?, Shooting Star.

Man in the long black coat

PostPosted: Wed January 13, 2016 1:06 am 
tl;dr

"Ring Them Bells" and "Most of the Time" are the real triumphs of "Oh Mercy," in my opinion -- for as deep and moody as the album sounds, the songs seem kind of half-assed and underwritten. The studio version of "Man In the Long Black Coat" sounds like Dylan putting a flashlight up to his chin and telling a ghost story.

God help me, I like "Under the Red Sky" better.

PostPosted: Wed January 13, 2016 1:07 am 
tl;dr

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
A lot of people from my parents' generation seem to believe an urban legend that "Like A Rolling Stone" was recorded in one take, possibly because of something Al Kooper said a long time ago (he loves to tell stories, lots of them bullshit). It wasn't until this new set came out that some of them even believed me.

But man, did lightning ever strike on that one take.

PostPosted: Wed January 13, 2016 7:22 pm 
A Return To Form

Kevin Davis wrote:
"Ring Them Bells" and "Most of the Time" are the real triumphs of "Oh Mercy," in my opinion -- for as deep and moody as the album sounds, the songs seem kind of half-assed and underwritten. The studio version of "Man In the Long Black Coat" sounds like Dylan putting a flashlight up to his chin and telling a ghost story.

God help me, I like "Under the Red Sky" better.

Wow, really? I don't dislike "Under the Red Sky", but 'Oh Mercy' just has that vibe and feel to it that you can't replicate. It's sort of calm and subdued and chilled out, but with a real sadness lurking underneath that I find really powerful.

"Shooting Star" closing the album is beautiful.

PostPosted: Wed January 13, 2016 7:25 pm 
Posting (live)

I'm with you DB. Oh Mercy is a good good album.

PostPosted: Wed January 13, 2016 8:36 pm 
A Return To Form

LetMeSleep wrote:
I'm with you DB. Oh Mercy is a good good album.

I was laid on my couch in the dark late last night, listening to it and the music just swept over me. Tied with Blood on the Tracks as my favourite Dylan album.

PostPosted: Wed January 13, 2016 11:02 pm 
tl;dr

"Oh Mercy" is very strong on "vibe" -- when you're in the mood for its particular ambience, it hits the right spot. "Shooting Star" is a pretty song and a good album closer. I like "Where Teardrops Fall" too -- it has a standard-y vibe to it that lurks in the background of certain Dylan songs, and I dig the sax solo. But "Political World," "Everything Is Broken," "What Good Am I," "Disease of Conceit," and "What Was It You Wanted" are all very empty songs to me, yet the production dresses them up as these deep philosophical meditations -- they're overly serious, at times bordering on preachy, yet ultimately express nothing that isn't immediately clear in the first lyric of each song. "Disease of Conceit" in particular is among the worst songs Dylan ever composed, in my opinion -- just terrible writing. Some of these songs come off better live, where the ragged performances match the tossed off songcraft (which is a lot of what I enjoy about "UTRS"). If I want a Dylan album rich in late-night vibe but that also hits me in the right places emotionally and cerebrally, I reach for "Time Out of Mind" (or even his new Sinatra album).

PostPosted: Thu January 14, 2016 5:35 pm 
The Master

Fallons impersonation was pretty great. Down to the slightly out of tune guitar. Hilarious

PostPosted: Thu January 14, 2016 5:50 pm 
tl;dr

It was pretty damn flawless.

PostPosted: Sat January 23, 2016 6:06 pm 
A Return To Form

I listened to Infidels for the first time last night, and I really liked it. Quite enjoyable from start to finish.

So far, I've listened to:

Bob Dylan through to Nashville Skyline
Blood on the Tracks
Desire
Street Legal
Oh Mercy
Time Out Of Mind
Modern Times

So my question is, what should I try next? I'm no good at just going through them chronologically, so any suggestions would be helpful. I've read plenty of reviews and have an idea of what to avoid for now. But I want to eventually hear everything.

PostPosted: Sat January 23, 2016 7:19 pm 
Poster of the Year

Daniel Bryan wrote:
I listened to Infidels for the first time last night, and I really liked it. Quite enjoyable from start to finish.

So far, I've listened to:

Bob Dylan through to Nashville Skyline
Blood on the Tracks
Desire
Street Legal
Oh Mercy
Time Out Of Mind
Modern Times

So my question is, what should I try next? I'm no good at just going through them chronologically, so any suggestions would be helpful. I've read plenty of reviews and have an idea of what to avoid for now. But I want to eventually hear everything.

Go to Love and Theft to round out the cream of the crop of modern Dylan.

PostPosted: Sat January 23, 2016 8:05 pm 
tl;dr

Self Portrait (ignore the idiots who deride this album -- it's mostly fantastic)
New Morning
Good As I Been To You
World Gone Wrong
Love and Theft
Shadows In the Night

"Planet Waves" has a lot of good songs but I don't care for the performances. And I have a soft spot for "Saved," which isn't a very traditionally "Dylanesque" Dylan album but which I've always thought to be pretty successful at what it aims to do. After that you're looking at pulling good songs from fair to middling records, though if you get in that deep and haven't jumped ship yet, you'll surely have your own feelings on how it all shakes down.

PostPosted: Sat January 23, 2016 8:16 pm 
A Return To Form

Kevin Davis wrote:
Self Portrait (ignore the idiots who deride this album -- it's mostly fantastic)
New Morning
Good As I Been To You
World Gone Wrong
Love and Theft
Shadows In the Night

"Planet Waves" has a lot of good songs but I don't care for the performances. And I have a soft spot for "Saved," which isn't a very traditionally "Dylanesque" Dylan album but which I've always thought to be pretty successful at what it aims to do. After that you're looking at pulling good songs from fair to middling records, though if you get in that deep and haven't jumped ship yet, you'll surely have your own feelings on how it all shakes down.

Thanks for the tips, I was actually thinking New Morning as my next one.

What's considered the absolute drizzling shits of Dylan records?

PostPosted: Sat January 23, 2016 8:24 pm 
tl;dr

The trifecta of "Empire Burlesque," "Knocked Out Loaded," and "Down in the Groove" is usually looked on as his creative nadir (the live album "Dylan and the Dead" being a sort of bonus turd from this same era), and reasonably so -- despite my mixed feelings about "Oh Mercy," I completely understand how it would have seemed like a creative renaissance coming out of that mid-'80's draught. I like parts of all of those albums, but they're good ones to save for last (I personally think "Down in the Groove" is the worst of the three). And a lot of folks really dislike "Under the Red Sky," but I think it's a hoot.

PostPosted: Sat January 23, 2016 8:32 pm 
Posting (live)

Under The Red Sky has some nice tunes and is worth a listen. In fact KDs list sums it up pretty well except I'd add that Slow Train is a must listen too. It doesn't get too preachy and sounds great.

I'm a fan of Planet Waves and that came to mind first.

Have you heard any of the bootleg series or would you prefer to get thru the albums first?

PostPosted: Sat January 23, 2016 8:33 pm 
tl;dr

There are also quite a few live and "Bootleg Series" releases that are pretty essential, but no need to rush. :)

PostPosted: Sun January 24, 2016 3:31 pm 
A Return To Form

LetMeSleep wrote:
Under The Red Sky has some nice tunes and is worth a listen. In fact KDs list sums it up pretty well except I'd add that Slow Train is a must listen too. It doesn't get too preachy and sounds great.

I'm a fan of Planet Waves and that came to mind first.

Have you heard any of the bootleg series or would you prefer to get thru the albums first?

I want to get through the albums first :D

I listened to New Morning & Planet Waves last night. Overall, I was left fairly underwhelmed by New Morning but there were one or two good moments, such as One More Weekend and Three Angels.

Planet Waves was enjoyable for the most part. I liked most of the songs and I think I preferred the production on Waves, too.

Tonight I think I'll give Under The Red Sky another go. I don't think I listened to the whole thing last time.

PostPosted: Sun January 24, 2016 3:44 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I recently learned that a friend who doesn't care for Bob has the following complaint:

"He's got a good voice. I like it. I find it interesting. But I can't stand his lyrics."

This is a guy who studied painting in his youth, who is both encyclopedic and insightful about abstract painters. How someone like that doesn't register something with Highway 61 Revisited, I can't begin to guess.

PostPosted: Sun January 24, 2016 4:43 pm 
The Master

McParadigm wrote:
I recently learned that a friend who doesn't care for Bob has the following complaint:

"He's got a good voice. I like it. I find it interesting. But I can't stand his lyrics."

This is a guy who studied painting in his youth, who is both encyclopedic and insightful about abstract painters. How someone like that doesn't register something with Highway 61 Revisited, I can't begin to guess.

Hilarious. And that is completely opposite of most peoples complaints about Dylan.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 973 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 49  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands