The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 973 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dylan
PostPosted: Wed July 21, 2021 11:17 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Quote:
Latest chapter in acclaimed Bootleg Series unveils 54 previously unreleased recordings, including outtakes from Shot of Love, Infidels and Empire Burlesque, in Deluxe 5CD Package

Bob Dylan – Springtime In New York: The Bootleg Series, Vol.16 (1980-1985)

Also Available in 2CD and 2LP Highlight Editions

Pre-order here

July 21, 2021-New York, NY-Columbia Records and Legacy Recordings, the catalog division of Sony Music Entertainment, will release Bob Dylan – Springtime In New York: The Bootleg Series Vol. 16 (1980-1985) on Friday, September 17.

The latest chapter in Columbia/Legacy’s highly acclaimed Bob Dylan Bootleg Series revisits an often-forgotten, rich vein in Dylan’s vast and complex catalog, shining fresh light on the provocative new musical directions Dylan was taking as a songwriter and a recording artist from 1980 through 1985. In the early 1980s, while the music industry was grappling with the arrival of new trends and technology, from MTV to compact discs to digital recording, Bob Dylan was writing and recording new songs for a new decade, creating an essential new chapter in his studio catalog. Bob Dylan – Springtime In New York (1980-1985) celebrates the rich creative period surrounding Dylan’s albums Shot Of Love, Infidels, and Empire Burlesque with previously unreleased outtakes, alternate takes, rehearsal recordings, live performances and more.

The deluxe 5CD edition of the album presents 57 rare Bob Dylan recordings, 54 of them previously unreleased in any format, from 1980-1985. The previously released cuts include two Shot Of Love outtakes: “Let It Be Me” (first released as B-side to “Heart of Mine” International 7″ single) and “Don’t Ever Take Yourself Away” (first released on Hawaii Five-O: Original Songs from the Television Series). A third previously released recording, “Death Is Not The End” (an Infidels outtake featuring Full Force) first appeared in an edited version on Down In The Groove and may now be heard for the first time in full on Bob Dylan – Springtime In New York (1980-1985).

Bob Dylan – Springtime In New York: The Bootleg Series Vol. 16 (1980-1985) is available in a deluxe 5CD boxset (with book, memorabilia, photos and more) as well as 2CD and 2LP 12″ vinyl highlight packages.

Pre-order here

Third Man Records will release a 4LP version of Bob Dylan – Springtime In New York: The Bootleg Series Vol. 16 (1980-1985) as part of their Vault Series.

Disc One of Bob Dylan – Springtime In New York: The Bootleg Series Vol. 16 (1980-1985) was recorded in 1980 and 1981 and finds Dylan rehearsing a variety of his own catalog compositions (“Señor (Tales of Yankee Power),” “To Ramona”), rearranging some traditional folk tunes (“Jesus Met the Woman at the Well,” “Mary of the Wild Moor”) and revving up a selection of surprising covers (“Mystery Train” featuring Ringo Starr, “Sweet Caroline,” “Fever,” “Abraham, Martin and John”) with a group of musicians including Fred Tackett (guitar), David Mansfield (mandolin), Willie Smith (keyboards), Tim Drummond (bass), Jim Keltner (drums) and background vocals by Clydie King, Carolyn Dennis, Gwen Evans, and Regina McCrary.

Disc Two of Bob Dylan – Springtime In New York (1980-1985) is devoted to outtakes and alternate takes of recordings produced by Chuck Plotkin for Shot of Love, while Discs Three and Four are centered on the material Dylan wrote for Infidels, performed by the all-star band assembled for the album which featured Mark Knopfler (guitar), Mick Taylor (guitar), Alan Clark (keyboards), Robbie Shakespeare (bass) and Sly Dunbar (drums). The Infidels sessions, produced by Bob Dylan and Mark Knopfler, include previously unreleased versions of “Blind Willie McTell” and “Jokerman.”

Disc Five of the album includes live tracks (“Enough Is Enough” from Slane Castle, Ireland, and “License to Kill” from Late Night with David Letterman, March 22, 1984) alongside alternate takes and outtakes from the Empire Burlesque sessions, produced by Bob Dylan, including premieres of new songs (“Straight A’s in Love” and “New Danville Girl,” an early draft of “Brownsville Girl”) and a previously unreleased performance of the canonical “Dark Eyes.”

According to the Producer’s Note in the album: “The alternate takes selected for this set are different than the ones released on previous volumes of The Bootleg Series. They are included here to illustrate the musical journey Bob Dylan undertook during these years.”

In his liner notes for Bob Dylan – Springtime In New York, Damien Love writes, “And that’s the real story of this gloriously untrammeled collection. The songs. The songs stripped free of trappings, tampering, passing tastes, and judgments. The songs broken down to the sound of people really doing this, right now, acting on instinct. The songs rough and rowdy, bruised and tender, joking and crying, nagging and striving and yearning. The songs were always there, and here they are still, keeping pace with us.”

Pre-order here

Bob Dylan Springtime in New York: The Bootleg Series, Vol. 16 (1980-1985)

DISC 1

1. Señor (Tales of Yankee Power) – Rehearsal
2. To Ramona – Rehearsal
3. Jesus Met the Woman at the Well – Rehearsal
4. Mary of the Wild Moor – Rehearsal
5. Need a Woman – Rehearsal
6. A Couple More Years – Rehearsal
7. Mystery Train – Shot of Love outtake
8. This Night Won’t Last Forever – Rehearsal
9. We Just Disagree – Rehearsal
10. Let’s Keep It Between Us – Rehearsal
11. Sweet Caroline – Rehearsal
12. Fever – Rehearsal
13. Abraham, Martin and John – Rehearsal

DISC 2

1. Angelina – Shot of Love outtake
2. Price of Love – Shot of Love outtake
3. I Wish It Would Rain – Shot of Love outtake
4. Let It Be Me – International 7″ Single B-side*
5. Cold, Cold Heart – Shot of Love outtake
6. Don’t Ever Take Yourself Away – Shot of Love outtake*
7. Fur Slippers – Shot of Love outtake
8. Borrowed Time – Shot of Love outtake
9. Is It Worth It? – Shot of Love outtake
10. Lenny Bruce – Shot of Love alternate mix
11. Yes Sir, No Sir – Shot of Love outtake

DISC 3

1. Jokerman – Infidels alternate take
2. Blind Willie McTell – Infidels outtake
3. Don’t Fall Apart on Me Tonight [version 1] – Infidels alternate take
4. Don’t Fall Apart on Me Tonight [version 2] – Infidels alternate take
5. Neighborhood Bully – Infidels alternate take
6. Someone’s Got a Hold of My Heart – Infidels outtake
7. This Was My Love – Infidels outtake
8. Too Late [acoustic version] – Infidels outtake
9.Too Late [band version] – Infidels outtake
10. Foot of Pride – Infidels outtake

DISC 4

1. Clean Cut Kid – Infidels outtake
2. Sweetheart Like You – Infidels alternate take
3. Baby What You Want Me to Do – Infidels outtake
4. Tell Me – Infidels outtake
5. Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground – Infidels outtake
6. Julius and Ethel – Infidels outtake
7. Green, Green Grass of Home – Infidels outtake
8. Union Sundown – Infidels alternate take
9. Lord Protect My Child – Infidels outtake
10. I and I – Infidels alternate take
11. Death is Not the End [full version] – Infidels outtake*

DISC 5

1. Enough is Enough [live] – Slane Castle, Ireland
2. License to Kill [live] – Late Night with David Letterman, March 22, 1984
3. I’ll Remember You – Empire Burlesque alternate take
4. Tight Connection to My Heart (Has Anybody Seen My Love) – Empire Burlesque alternate mix
5. Seeing the Real You at Last – Empire Burlesque alternate take
6. Emotionally Yours – Empire Burlesque alternate take
7. Clean Cut Kid – Empire Burlesque alternate take
8. Straight A’s in Love – Empire Burlesque outtake
9. When the Night Comes Falling from the Sky [slow version]– Empire Burlesque alternate take
10. When the Night Comes Falling from the Sky [fast version] – Empire Burlesque alternate take
11. New Danville Girl – Empire Burlesque outtake
12. Dark Eyes – Empire Burlesque alternate take

PostPosted: Wed July 21, 2021 11:24 pm 

Higgs wrote:
That song is bad, but an Infidels archives would be :chef'skiss:

PostPosted: Wed July 21, 2021 11:36 pm 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/bob-dylans-new-bootleg-series-spotlight-early-eighties-infidels-period-1199615/

Quote:
The set ends with a disc of songs recorded for Empire Burlesque. The 1985 LP was produced by Arthur Baker, who was best known at the time for his work with New Order and Afrika Bambaataa. He gave the songs a glossy, Eighties sheen that made the album sound painfully dated just a few years after it came out.

“Arthur is a great guy, says the source, “but he was hired to do a particular type of thing, which was apply that Eighties gloss that was so successful for Springsteen and Cyndi Lauper and other Columbia records at that time. It’s just trying to make that sound for that moment, but I don’t think it did anyone any favors.”

An irony of Empire Burlesque is that even Baker himself doesn’t love the sound of the original album. “Looking back, I cringe at some of the shit I did on that record,” he told Rolling Stone in 2017. “The record label wanted him to sound more modern. I was trying to go for the bells and the [Phil] Spector thing to make a big sound. But the bottom line is what I liked about Dylan was not production. It was just sort of him and his voice. Through the project, I’d try to sort of push that. But I had to do something to earn the money they were paying me.”

PostPosted: Fri July 23, 2021 2:15 am 
Rank This Poster

LetMeSleep wrote:
Higgs wrote:
That song is bad, but an Infidels archives would be :chef'skiss:

PostPosted: Fri July 23, 2021 2:45 am 
The Master

Empire Burlesque rules

PostPosted: Sun July 25, 2021 6:44 am 

Does anyone here have the Dreaming Of You single with Down Along The Cove Live bside? Looking at doing a compilation and that is one track I’m missing.

PostPosted: Fri July 30, 2021 3:23 am 

That Down Along The Cove has been killing me for a week or so. Damn.

PostPosted: Fri July 30, 2021 3:30 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

I put on the Netflix the other day and took some notes And I am sorry

PostPosted: Fri July 30, 2021 3:31 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

Bob Dylan drifting 2 far from the road. HE Said the first record he ever heard made him feel like he was somebody else. Like he was born to the wrong parents mayBE
NO DIRECTION HOME

When bob Dylan was a kid , they didnt have coats, they only had 3 shirts

As kids bob couldn't be a rebel because he wasn't around anybody who had an idiom that he could go against

Johnnie Ray
Hank Williams cold cold heart

PostPosted: Fri July 30, 2021 3:33 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

I do intend on watching more than the first 6 minutes some day

PostPosted: Fri July 30, 2021 6:35 pm 
Future Drummer

LetMeSleep wrote:
Does anyone here have the Dreaming Of You single with Down Along The Cove Live bside? Looking at doing a compilation and that is one track I’m missing.

that track is also on this bonnaroo 2004 compilation

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Bonnaro ... se/5529172

if you can't find it, pretty sure i have a flac copy. i have the vinyl, too, but no way to record it from that.

PostPosted: Fri September 24, 2021 2:32 pm 
AnalLog

I got started on the Bootleg Series yesterday. The immediate standout were the Infidels tracks. Jokerman is as good or better than the album track and I'd have to say the same for "Don't Fall Apart on Me Tonight". There is a lot more to digest in this version compared to the sweeter one that ended up on the album.

Thank God for Bob Dylan.

PostPosted: Fri September 24, 2021 9:42 pm 

I listened to the 2 CD version last Friday and then the 5 disc version over this past week. There's not too much that is essential outside of the 2 CD version. A lot of the rehearsal disc is listen once only (Sweet Caroline for example).

Most of the alternate versions are interesting yet probably lacking that something that the album cuts had. Jokerman has some really nice musical moments but I find the vocal a bit wandering, not as focused as the Infidels version. The progression of his songs and methods are always interesting to wallow in and there's plenty of moments here, just not lots of complete songs that wow. Tight Connection has certainly risen for me after this set of discs.

One absolute highlight is Lenny Bruce. This is a gorgeous version.

Overall I have to agree with many Dylan fans that this is essential listening but a missed chance. Complete Letterman, extra Shot Of Love outtakes (C Wind for christsakes) and a 1984 show would have made this set phenomenal and would have only pushed this to 7 discs (most of the 5 discs are chockers time wise).

PostPosted: Fri October 01, 2021 7:09 pm 
 WWW  Profile

So, I've never really listened to Bob Dylan much and out of curiosity I watched No Direction Home and have been browsing a lot of his stuff on YouTube. I must say, I do not understand the overwhelming love and reverence for this man. He did apparently write a few very classic, timely, timeless songs, but his voice is downright grating and the music does nothing for me except annoy me. I get why some people like it sometimes, but most of the time he's just awful, and I tire of him very quickly. I know this is a conversation that has been going on a long time, but I just wanted to throw my chips on the "he pretty much has always sucked" side of it.

Last edited by tree_ on Fri October 01, 2021 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri October 01, 2021 7:10 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

shame on you and he's quite the handyman

PostPosted: Fri October 01, 2021 7:12 pm 

remember when he pulled out his electric tools?

PostPosted: Fri October 01, 2021 7:14 pm 
 WWW  Profile

yeah they were right to boo.. the only ones not booing were stoned out of their minds and would have applauded an alley cat in heat

PostPosted: Fri October 01, 2021 8:56 pm 
Future Drummer

tree_ wrote:
So, I've never really listened to Bob Dylan much and out of curiosity I watched No Direction Home and have been browsing a lot of his stuff on YouTube. I must say, I do not understand the overwhelming love and reverence for this man. He did apparently write a few very classic, timely, timeless songs, but his voice is downright grating and the music does nothing for me except annoy me. I get why some people like it sometimes, but most of the time he's just awful, and I tire of him very quickly. I know this is a conversation that has been going on a long time, but I just wanted to throw my chips on the "he pretty much has always sucked" side of it.

I lost him when he went all Jesus and was lecturing people from the stage about how homosexuals will burn in hell a'la Eric Clapton. Fuck him from that point forward.

PostPosted: Fri October 01, 2021 9:01 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I did not know he did that. Now I have more reason to dislike him.

PostPosted: Fri October 01, 2021 9:41 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

He has a tour starting soon. What is strange is that his website says "Worldwide Tour/2021-2024" and its apparently being advertised as "The Rough and Rowdy Ways Tour". Don't know if he's ever had a tour named after an album. He would be 83 in 2024.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 973 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands