The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 973 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 49  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dylan
PostPosted: Sun January 24, 2016 5:22 pm 
tl;dr

Daniel Bryan wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
Under The Red Sky has some nice tunes and is worth a listen. In fact KDs list sums it up pretty well except I'd add that Slow Train is a must listen too. It doesn't get too preachy and sounds great.

I'm a fan of Planet Waves and that came to mind first.

Have you heard any of the bootleg series or would you prefer to get thru the albums first?

I want to get through the albums first :D

I listened to New Morning & Planet Waves last night. Overall, I was left fairly underwhelmed by New Morning but there were one or two good moments, such as One More Weekend and Three Angels.

Planet Waves was enjoyable for the most part. I liked most of the songs and I think I preferred the production on Waves, too.

Tonight I think I'll give Under The Red Sky another go. I don't think I listened to the whole thing last time.

Sorry you didn't take to "New Morning" -- depending on what draws you to Dylan, I can understand it coming across as a sort of throwaway album (and if that's the case you'll probably want to avoid "Self Portrait" too), but I've always found its pastoral leisureliness to be a thing of beauty. I love that post-"Basement Tapes" voice in all its incarnations -- the suave "Nashville Skyline" purr (which is present on some of the "Self Portrait" tracks as well), the phlegmy, post-nasal croon of '70-'71 ("New Morning," the material from "Greatest Hits Volume 2") -- I dunno, it just hits the right spot for me. I love Dylan's lyrics, but I can understand where McP's friend is coming from -- more Dylan albums are driven by the varying contours and moods of his voice than are driven by the lucid and surreal but strictly formed language that he's known for, and I think focusing too intently on the latter can cause listeners to overlook a lot of very good music on semi-superficial grounds (not to say that's what you're doing here, just a general observation).

Speaking of which, are you factoring "The Basement Tapes" into your block of albums from the self-titled through "Nashville Skyline?" If not, cease pursuit of all other recommendations and make that your next order of business. :)

PostPosted: Sun January 24, 2016 7:14 pm 
A Return To Form

Kevin Davis wrote:
Daniel Bryan wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
Under The Red Sky has some nice tunes and is worth a listen. In fact KDs list sums it up pretty well except I'd add that Slow Train is a must listen too. It doesn't get too preachy and sounds great.

I'm a fan of Planet Waves and that came to mind first.

Have you heard any of the bootleg series or would you prefer to get thru the albums first?

I want to get through the albums first :D

I listened to New Morning & Planet Waves last night. Overall, I was left fairly underwhelmed by New Morning but there were one or two good moments, such as One More Weekend and Three Angels.

Planet Waves was enjoyable for the most part. I liked most of the songs and I think I preferred the production on Waves, too.

Tonight I think I'll give Under The Red Sky another go. I don't think I listened to the whole thing last time.

Sorry you didn't take to "New Morning" -- depending on what draws you to Dylan, I can understand it coming across as a sort of throwaway album (and if that's the case you'll probably want to avoid "Self Portrait" too), but I've always found its pastoral leisureliness to be a thing of beauty. I love that post-"Basement Tapes" voice in all its incarnations -- the suave "Nashville Skyline" purr (which is present on some of the "Self Portrait" tracks as well), the phlegmy, post-nasal croon of '70-'71 ("New Morning," the material from "Greatest Hits Volume 2") -- I dunno, it just hits the right spot for me. I love Dylan's lyrics, but I can understand where McP's friend is coming from -- more Dylan albums are driven by the varying contours and moods of his voice than are driven by the lucid and surreal but strictly formed language that he's known for, and I think focusing too intently on the latter can cause listeners to overlook a lot of very good music on semi-superficial grounds (not to say that's what you're doing here, just a general observation).

Speaking of which, are you factoring "The Basement Tapes" into your block of albums from the self-titled through "Nashville Skyline?" If not, cease pursuit of all other recommendations and make that your next order of business. :)

Perhaps New Morning deserves repeated listening in order to fully appreciate. I don't know, there just needs to be something that jumps out in the music on first listen for me to latch onto it. Then again, there's a chance I'm full of crap because I bought Binaural and listened to it ONCE and didn't touch it again for about 3 years. It's my fave PJ album now ;)

I hadn't really thought about The Basement Tapes. I know I was going to listen at some point. So you're saying I should go straight for that? What's so good about it?

PostPosted: Sun January 24, 2016 7:34 pm 
tl;dr

Oh man, where to begin -- the atmosphere, the tradition, the folklore, all of which could have (have had, actually) entire books written about them, but before any of that I would just say it's a bunch of really, really great songs. Consider that this was the music Dylan was making between "Blonde on Blonde" and "John Wesley Harding," and then consider whether there would be any precedent for it being anything less than excellent. Some of his most famous and oft-covered songs come from these sessions -- "I Shall Be Released," "Quinn the Eskimo," "This Wheel's On Fire, and a plethora of others, some of which weren't even unearthed until the 2014 "bootleg series" release.

For starters I might recommend listening to the 2CD "Basement Tapes Raw" set that came out as a redux version of the complete 6CD box two years ago, as the truncated set will focus on the Dylan originals, but if you like it, definitely make it a point to listen to the full set sometime in the future. Brilliant, historic stuff.

PostPosted: Sun January 24, 2016 8:01 pm 
A Return To Form

Kevin Davis wrote:
Oh man, where to begin -- the atmosphere, the tradition, the folklore, all of which could have (have had, actually) entire books written about them, but before any of that I would just say it's a bunch of really, really great songs. Consider that this was the music Dylan was making between "Blonde on Blonde" and "John Wesley Harding," and then consider whether there would be any precedent for it being anything less than excellent. Some of his most famous and oft-covered songs come from these sessions -- "I Shall Be Released," "Quinn the Eskimo," "This Wheel's On Fire, and a plethora of others, some of which weren't even unearthed until the 2014 "bootleg series" release.

For starters I might recommend listening to the 2CD "Basement Tapes Raw" set that came out as a redux version of the complete 6CD box two years ago, as the truncated set will focus on the Dylan originals, but if you like it, definitely make it a point to listen to the full set sometime in the future. Brilliant, historic stuff.

Wow, that was quite the hard sell. You got me psyched up to hear it now :D

PostPosted: Sun January 24, 2016 8:39 pm 
tl;dr

PostPosted: Sun January 24, 2016 8:53 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I prefer several new morning songs as they appear on the self portrait bootleg. But I think the original is a solid balanced album, and I love his voice on this one.

I am a huge fan of the basement tapes raw. John Wesley harding might be the only Dylan album I prefer to it. Outstanding atmosphere and strange but grounded creativity.

PostPosted: Sun January 24, 2016 9:02 pm 
tl;dr

Kalevi wrote:
I prefer several new morning songs as they appear on the self portrait bootleg.

Absolutely. The electric piano version of "Went to See the Gypsy" is one of my very favorite Dylan performances -- I was so happy to see it get an official release.

PostPosted: Mon January 25, 2016 10:40 am 
Future Drummer

Kevin Davis wrote:

I have always thought, and still think, that more than half of the Basement Tapes material is pretty uninteresting. I refrain from calling it "crap", but it's really just "scraps". But the stuff that is good is REALLY good. I'd say there is about two (maybe three) discs worth of really strong material there, though as usual, not all of it is on the 2-CD redux.

I highly recommend the mono demo tape of the Basement sessions that was used to press the famous acetates (and bootlegs), which was released on vinyl for Record Store Day. It actually sounds better than the stereo Bootleg Series, and it is as close to an actual "official album" as those sessions came.

PostPosted: Mon January 25, 2016 4:17 pm 
tl;dr

I don't necessarily disagree with that -- I think there is a pretty clear difference between the original material that was the driving force behind the sessions, the casual covers that they were cranking out for fun (some of which are a lot more "on" than others), and the song fragments and sketches that ultimately never evolved beyond the embryo stage. Overall I think the full sessions tell a compelling story, and I'm glad to have it all. But the 2-3 discs' worth of highlights you're talking about belong in everyone's collection.

PostPosted: Wed March 02, 2016 7:54 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Dylan's archive sold:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/06/arts/ ... .html?_r=1

PostPosted: Mon October 03, 2016 11:37 am 

Not sure if this was already here somewhere:

PostPosted: Mon October 03, 2016 4:34 pm 

Read Down The Highway recently and it seems Dylan asked to join the Grateful Dead as a full time member in 1989. I think it was Phil Lesh who shot that idea down.

PostPosted: Thu October 13, 2016 11:05 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

Nobel Prize Winner Bob Dylan

PostPosted: Thu October 13, 2016 11:48 am 
tl;dr

Fuck yeah! Fingers crossed for another speech.

PostPosted: Thu October 13, 2016 12:41 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Kevin Davis wrote:
Fuck yeah! Fingers crossed for another speech.

Literature winners are invited to give a speech/lecture at the awards banquet, so I'm sure he'll be there.

PostPosted: Thu October 13, 2016 5:54 pm 
The Master

2 people are clogging the news today. 1 of them is Dylan.

A living national treasure.

Remember when he predicted a landslide the night of the 2012 election?

PostPosted: Sat October 15, 2016 5:42 pm 
A Return To Form

Dylan getting the Nobel Prize in literature is fantastic. I'm so excited for him, even though I'm slightly unsure if he'll even accept it?
Seeing so much media coverage on Bob here in the UK has been a strange experience.

I just downloaded the 18-disc Cutting Edge Bootleg Series set - is it even worth it? I'm also downloading the 6-disc deluxe edition, and then I'll try to decide which one to listen to.

I've got pretty much every Dylan record on vinyl at this point, although I still haven't listened to every album in detail. Desire and Street Legal have climbed to the top of my rankings - the 70s are definitely my favourite era for Dylan. A combination of his maturing voice, the violin on Desire and the backing singers/saxophone on Street Legal just hits all the right spots for me.

"Love & Theft" is still slaying me, and 'Beyond Here Lies Nothing' is a total sex song. Baby-making music, right there.

PostPosted: Sun October 16, 2016 11:22 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Is highlands Dylan's best song? I think it might be.

Highlands
Mississippi
Things have changed
Frankie Lee and Judas Priest
Stuck inside a mobile

PostPosted: Mon October 17, 2016 12:21 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

Daniel Bryan wrote:
Dylan getting the Nobel Prize in literature is fantastic. I'm so excited for him, even though I'm slightly unsure if he'll even accept it?
Seeing so much media coverage on Bob here in the UK has been a strange experience.

The reaction in literary communities has been fascinating to watch. There are two extremes: people are either absolutely in love with the idea for how it breaks the mould of the award and can lead to a conversation about the extremes of what "literature" means, or they're furious that he's taking a prize that's supposed to go to a "writer" (most of the people I've talked with personally fall in the first camp, although there have been some--including my wife--who are more in line with the second). I'm more in the middle and can see both sides: it's always nice when someone you're familiar with wins the award, but I know this is going to age out writers like Thomas Pynchon (who will almost certainly be dead before the committee seriously considers another American), so that's sort of upsetting. I'm almost sure he'll accept it--Sartre won and completely rejected it, and then Solzhenitsyn initially rejected it but later accepted it, so there's very little precedent, and it's considered a great honor.

The Academy still hasn't called me, but I'll keep you all informed.

PostPosted: Mon October 17, 2016 2:49 pm 
A Return To Form

Simple Torture wrote:
Daniel Bryan wrote:

The reaction in literary communities has been fascinating to watch. There are two extremes: people are either absolutely in love with the idea for how it breaks the mould of the award and can lead to a conversation about the extremes of what "literature" means, or they're furious that he's taking a prize that's supposed to go to a "writer" (most of the people I've talked with personally fall in the first camp, although there have been some--including my wife--who are more in line with the second). I'm more in the middle and can see both sides: it's always nice when someone you're familiar with wins the award, but I know this is going to age out writers like Thomas Pynchon (who will almost certainly be dead before the committee seriously considers another American), so that's sort of upsetting. I'm almost sure he'll accept it--Sartre won and completely rejected it, and then Solzhenitsyn initially rejected it but later accepted it, so there's very little precedent, and it's considered a great honor.

The Academy still hasn't called me, but I'll keep you all informed.

Personally, I don't know what to say to people who argue that a songwriter shouldn't be eligible for a literature award. Songs are literature, no matter how they are presented to the public. I don't really see the difference between a writer who channels his inner ideas/thoughts/beliefs/observations and has them published in a book which is then mass produced and sold to the masses, and a lyricist such as Bob who channels his inner ideas/thoughts/beliefs/observations and presents them in musical form. The method of delivery may be different, but the content is the same.

More than anyone, Dylan's lyrics are a wonderful example of poetry at its best. Reading some of his songs out loud is an experience, similar to traditional poems published in books. He absolutely deserves the honour, and I think some of those complaining are simply voicing their displeasure because they personally don't enjoy his music.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 973 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 49  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands