The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 973 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 49  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dylan
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:49 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

The 30th Anniversary Concert - Like any tribute concert, this one’s a mixed bag of good, bad, and great performances. The list on this one is probably the most impressive I can ever recall seeing, but not everyone lives out to expectations. Bad news first - I found both John Mellencamp and Stevie Wonder’s performances to be overwrought - which is a shame because I was looking forward to Stevie Wonder. Lou Reed also kind of sounded like a mess. Okay - on to greater things: we all know this already, but Eddie Vedder & Mike McCready nailed Masters of War. Tracy Chapman does a very good The Times They Are A-Changin’, Johnny Cash was his legend self, Ronnie Wood’s voice was rough but it worked well for Seven Days, Neil Young is amazing as always even if he started up sounding like he was impersonating Dylan on Just Like Tom Thumb’s Blues but finds his groove halfway through the song and then played Watchtower that damn near eclipsed Hendrix’s definitive version. Clapton’s Don’t Think Twice It’s Alright was quite good in the performance - the rehearsal version included was lifeless. The Band played When I Paint My Masterpiece true you form. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers absolutely killed it, especially on Rainy Day Women #12 & 35. And then Dylan played a few songs alone and with the nights supporting cast, all of which was great. I think it you stick to the good stuff here, there is a lot of really great stuff in here paying solid tribute. I think any time you get Neil Young, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, George Harrison, etc on a stage together it is bound to be special.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:55 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
The 30th Anniversary Concert - Like any tribute concert, this one’s a mixed bag of good, bad, and great performances. The list on this one is probably the most impressive I can ever recall seeing, but not everyone lives out to expectations. Bad news first - I found both John Mellencamp and Stevie Wonder’s performances to be overwrought - which is a shame because I was looking forward to Stevie Wonder. Lou Reed also kind of sounded like a mess. Okay - on to greater things: we all know this already, but Eddie Vedder & Mike McCready nailed Masters of War. Tracy Chapman does a very good The Times They Are A-Changin’, Johnny Cash was his legend self, Ronnie Wood’s voice was rough but it worked well for Seven Days, Neil Young is amazing as always even if he started up sounding like he was impersonating Dylan on Just Like Tom Thumb’s Blues but finds his groove halfway through the song and then played Watchtower that damn near eclipsed Hendrix’s definitive version. Clapton’s Don’t Think Twice It’s Alright was quite good in the performance - the rehearsal version included was lifeless. The Band played When I Paint My Masterpiece true you form. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers absolutely killed it, especially on Rainy Day Women #12 & 35. And then Dylan played a few songs alone and with the nights supporting cast, all of which was great. I think it you stick to the good stuff here, there is a lot of really great stuff in here paying solid tribute. I think any time you get Neil Young, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, George Harrison, etc on a stage together it is bound to be special.

Yep, basically impossible not to listen to The Traveling Wilburys now.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:07 am 
10Club Complaint Department

This is an important omission from the 30th Anniversary Concert. It shows an artists deviance in the eye of a storm. I would have loved for her version of I Believe In You to have swayed the crowd but her actions were even stronger than Dylan ever was in response to a crowd.

Quote:
In 1992, two weeks after she tore up a picture of the Pope on “Saturday Night Live,” Sinead O’Connor appeared at Bob Dylan’s 30th-anniversary concert at Madison Square Garden.

Then aged just 25 years old, she was introduced on stage by American singer-songwriter Kris Kristofferson who praised her courage and integrity.

“I’m real proud to introduce this next artist,” he said. “Her name has become synonymous with courage and integrity.”

However, the 18,000-person sold-out crowd was incredibly hostile and O’Connor was taken aback. Rolling Stone reported that “O’Connor stared back at the crowd in shock and disappointment.”

Kristofferson walked onstage to give her encouragement and the piano player started Dylan’s gospel classic “I Believe in You” again but O’Connor waved him off and refused to sing the song, taking a step toward the crowd and away from the mic.

Looking as if she was steeling herself against the booing, O’Connor returned to the mic, demanded it was turned up and launched into an a cappella rendition of Bob Marley’s “War,” the same tune she had performed on Saturday Night Live to protest child abuse in the Catholic Church.

At the song’s conclusion, she ran into Kristofferson’s arms and can be seen sobbing as she finally broke down.

In retrospect there can be nothing but admiration for O’Connor’s bold stand, coming at a time when child sex abuse by priests and cover-ups by bishops were unknown. Now she would be hailed as a heroine for blowing the whistle and for taking such a stand in front of a crowd of people turned against her.

To add insult to injury, when the CD of the concert was released, her performance had been completely erased from the evening.

Despite this, she was the most-talked-about person the next day with a report from the Chicago Tribune stating she had “overshadowed performances by Eric Clapton, Stevie Wonder, Neil Young, George Harrison and Dylan, among others. And she didn’t sing a note.”

Neil Young had followed O’Connor on stage that evening and told the Tribune the following day, “She dealt herself a couple of hands, and the deck was stacked against her when she went out.

“In New York City, if the crowd is feeling something, you’re going to find out about it immediately.”

“We all felt sorry for her, because she’s not malicious or evil, just very young,” Young’s manager, Elliott Roberts, said of the then 25-year-old O’Connor.

“When the crowd started booing, she overreacted. She should have gone ahead and done the Dylan song.”

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:23 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Her rehearsal is at the end of the Spotify version, and it is really good.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:55 am 
Future Drummer

LetMeSleep wrote:
This is an important omission from the 30th Anniversary Concert. It shows an artists deviance in the eye of a storm. I would have loved for her version of I Believe In You to have swayed the crowd but her actions were even stronger than Dylan ever was in response to a crowd.

This is one of the bravest and most awesome responses from an artist towards her critics, and I still cry when I watch it. Great choice of songs to recite, too!

PostPosted: Mon June 01, 2020 3:04 pm 
AnalLog

Iholdthepain wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:

This is one of the bravest and most awesome responses from an artist towards her critics, and I still cry when I watch it. Great choice of songs to recite, too!

With all that's happening in our country surrounding race,truth and injustice, that video just broke me down. Thanks for posting it. I had never heard of this moment.

PostPosted: Mon June 01, 2020 3:58 pm 
Future Drummer

Hatfield wrote:
Iholdthepain wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:

With all that's happening in our country surrounding race,truth and injustice, that video just broke me down. Thanks for posting it. I had never heard of this moment.

Quote:
“We all felt sorry for her, because she’s not malicious or evil, just very young,” Young’s manager, Elliott Roberts, said of the then 25-year-old O’Connor.

“When the crowd started booing, she overreacted. She should have gone ahead and done the Dylan song.”

Quite a sustained boo; Roberts could also go fuck himself but he happens to be dead.

PostPosted: Mon June 01, 2020 6:50 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Time Out of Mind - late on any given night in the West Village, we walk into this bar. We’ve never been there before, but damned if it all doesn’t feel familiar. The scent of some musty wood, hard living, top shelf scotch, and cigarette smoke. Ahead there’s rows of poorly organized tables, wood chairs, and at the end a stage shrouded in smoke. You can’t quite make out who’s up there with his band, but out of those amps comes a sound that perfectly matches the environment. You sip that scotch and think to yourself “hot damn, that sound could have come from John Lee Hooker, or maybe B.B. King, but it’s got a quality all its own.” Whoever’s behind that voice has seen and done some stuff.

In this atmosphere, Bob Dylan seemed to exist and create one hell of an album - his best since Blood on the Tracks. These songs are so consistently good, I can’t even give you favorites. They are all characters in a perfect storm of talent and experience. The music is perfectly worn to Dylan’s weary voice. This is perfectly put together, even at an hour fifteen. I owe this journey a thanks because this is what I came for, even if it wasn’t what I was expecting.

PostPosted: Mon June 01, 2020 6:57 pm 
Poster of the Year

Definitely the best since Blood on the Tracks. Can't wait for your thoughts on the next one.

PostPosted: Mon June 01, 2020 7:08 pm 
tl;dr

Yep, love Time Out of Mind. You're in for a special run of records here :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon June 01, 2020 8:01 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I heard Love and Theft before but it was nearly 20 years ago so I have no reference point for this one other than remembering that I liked it then, but I had not developed the space in what I was looking for to have it hang around. I am imagining that I will feel much stronger this time around. Time Out of Mind is one of the best albums I have heard in a while. I mean I don’t know where it compares with my favorites from this run necessarily but it’s gotta be near the top. That album felt specifically made for me.

PostPosted: Mon June 01, 2020 8:25 pm 
Poster of the Year

Time Out of Mind and Love & Theft are both top 5 Dylan albums for me.

PostPosted: Mon June 01, 2020 10:38 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Mon June 01, 2020 11:46 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

doug rr wrote:

Genius! That, btw, was probably my favorite review of what I have written on the journeys.

Last edited by liebzz on Tue June 02, 2020 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon June 01, 2020 11:54 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

dylan is pretty good at what he does...you're pretty good at what you do

PostPosted: Tue June 02, 2020 1:03 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

“Love and Theft” - whereas the last album was great in creating an awesome aesthetic to dwell in for over an hour that perfectly placed Dylan in that moment, “Love and Theft” sees Dylan crossing a great amount of terrain from blues to folk to rock to lounge singer. If Dylan was in a smoky bar before, he’s on tour now from there to a sawdust bar to a piano lounge. It’s all held together by Dylan gravely voice that now has some serious hold on you rather than what could have been seen as almost comical around MTV Unplugged. This is the second straight album where every song, front to back, is nearly perfectly composed. The era we find ourselves in here in this run of albums takes a serious swing for the fences and at the Bring It All Back Home/Highway 61/Blonde on Blonde era. Maybe the songs in the era have endured in pop culture, but the composition and craft here is really a step beyond really any of his contemporaries- he’s growing as an artist and musician 40 years in. There’s layers and layers to unpack in these two albums that only years of repeat listens will unfurl. I’ll be busy with that going forward for sure and would anticipate that this era is the one I will revisit most - it seems to be where there’s the most to gain.

PostPosted: Tue June 02, 2020 2:21 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Modern Times - this is the third album occupying a particular and “new” space for Dylan. New in quotes since this may have developed in my listening over 24 hours but for Dylan these releases come over 9-10 years. One album really feels like it naturally progresses to the next seamlessly despite the time gap here. Dylan here is still in top form, delivering yet another spotless album where everything is perfectly crafted and composed. I saw there was some controversy over utilizing structures and phrases from the past, but it all feels pretty natural and really focused. Again, for the third straight album, there’s no point in pulling out specific tracks because they all belong together in a cohesive listen. In an age here where the album format had really began its descent into irrelevance, Dylan thankfully reminds us here that there’s value in holding your attention beyond 4 minutes, and that there’s beauty in music that has some level of space. Things are not overstated here, and that hits just the right spot.

PostPosted: Tue June 02, 2020 4:00 pm 
tl;dr

Love and Theft is one of my favorite albums by anyone -- it's my #2 Dylan album (behind Blood on the Tracks) and in my top 10 overall. Modern Times is great too -- when it came out it felt a bit like Love and Theft-lite, but it's aged extremely well.

PostPosted: Tue June 02, 2020 4:17 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Kevin Davis wrote:
Love and Theft is one of my favorite albums by anyone -- it's my #2 Dylan album (behind Blood on the Tracks) and in my top 10 overall. Modern Times is great too -- when it came out it felt a bit like Love and Theft-lite, but it's aged extremely well.

Yeah, I think I enjoyed the aesthetic a touch more on Time Out of Mind, but we’re splitting hairs here. Aside from the immediate satisfaction of a ranking, what sticks out to me is that these albums in their sheer quality live in the same zone to me as the earlier albums that people revere. To say now there are probably 9 or 10 of his albums for me that are a step beyond is a big thing because there aren't many artists I can even say have 10 good albums let alone that many I would place in the realm of the best albums I can remember hearing.

PostPosted: Tue June 02, 2020 7:29 pm 
tl;dr

Glad you're enjoying it so much. The next album, Together Through Life, has Mike Campbell from the Heartbreakers on guitar. It's a bit lighter weight, still good though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 973 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 49  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands