The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 973 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 49  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dylan
PostPosted: Sun February 12, 2017 7:22 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

BootsToAsses wrote:
MusicStack.com is just awesome. They have so many cheap records.

I was looking though my collection and realised I don't in fact have every Dylan release! I quickly remedied this and picked up New Morning, Slow Train Coming, and Before The Flood for £3 each :D

New Morning-really soulful, even Dogs Run Free and the two closing songs that most seem to hate. Sign on the Window is one of his best.

Before The Flood-Some fans don't like it, many prefer Hard Rain. Dylan is shouting on pretty much all of this and Garth Hudson is adding some unnecessary accompaniment to the proceedings. But jesus he just pulverizes these songs. "At its best, this is the craziest and strongest rock and roll ever recorded"-Robert Christgau. I agree.

PostPosted: Mon February 13, 2017 1:02 am 
tl;dr

"New Morning" is a top ten Dylan album for me -- joyful, pastoral, it's "Nashville Skyline" steered back towards the center, Dylan's voice at a happy medium between that album's silken croon and the more recognizable Dylan sneer of the mid-'60's. Listening to that album makes me sad for him that that marriage didn't work out.

"Before the Flood" I don't much care for -- probably my second least favorite Dylan live album behind "Dylan and the Dead." The '74 tour produced its share of fun one-offs (such as the only ever live version of "As I Went Out One Morning" and a bunch of "Planet Waves"-era tunes), but from night to night it was a supercharged, oversung mess. "Hard Rain" -- by which point he'd learned to incorporate layers of nuance and melody into the shout-singing he favored during this era -- is about a million times better.

Last edited by Kevin Davis on Mon February 13, 2017 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon February 13, 2017 1:04 am 
The Master

world gone wrong or gtfo

PostPosted: Mon February 13, 2017 1:04 am 
tl;dr

Strat wrote:
world gone wrong or gtfo

Top 10 for sure, maybe top 5.

PostPosted: Mon February 13, 2017 1:05 am 
The Master

Kevin Davis wrote:
Strat wrote:
world gone wrong or gtfo

His playing on that is just fantastic.

PostPosted: Mon February 13, 2017 1:07 am 
tl;dr

Strat wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
Strat wrote:
world gone wrong or gtfo

His playing on that is just fantastic.

It's a flawless album for me. "Good As I Been to You" is almost as good.

PostPosted: Wed February 15, 2017 7:12 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I just got Desire, and I am having trouble getting over how good black diamond bay is. For some reason I had low expectations for the album but I've been pleasantly surprised.

PostPosted: Wed February 15, 2017 8:25 pm 
tl;dr

"Isis," "Romance in Durango," and "Black Diamond Bay" are all-time favorites.

PostPosted: Wed February 15, 2017 9:15 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Desire-Need to listen to this more but I agree that Black Diamond Bay is great. Although I might give best song to Joey(Dylan can keep you interested on a story for 10 minutes longer than anybody)

Slow Train Coming-Precious Angel is the standout but overall it is good. Maybe the production is slicker than most are used to(in the book Down The Highway Dylan is quoted as saying he disliked the album due to this) but it fits the songs. When He Returns is powerful.

Planet Waves-Never Say Goodbye and You Angel You are nice tracks, slight as they are. Bridge?(part that begins "Grandma always said follow your heart") on Going Going Gone is special.

PostPosted: Wed February 15, 2017 9:16 pm 
The Master

Empire Burlesque is great.

PostPosted: Wed February 15, 2017 9:16 pm 
Posting (live)

Desire and BotT are my first childhood memories. Road trips with just those two cassettes. I used to sing along with every word.

PostPosted: Wed February 15, 2017 11:59 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Maybe not my first childhood memories, but I know what you are saying there 'sleep. I remember those 2 and Infidels all getting lots of play around me as a kid. To this day those albums still give me a secure, nostalgic feeling like almost no others.

:)

PostPosted: Wed March 29, 2017 3:09 am 
Posting (live)

http://bobdylan.com/news/qa-with-bill-flanagan/

Pretty interesting read here, bob-folk.

Quote:
“Make You Feel my Love” has become a new standard – it’s been covered by Adele, Garth Brooks, Billy Joel. Any version that knocked you out?

Yeah, one after the other, they all did.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:20 am 
Posting (live)

Did anyone else use the Unofficial Bob Dylan Bootleg Tape Library. Simon did a stellar job. It was always a treat to get back a cassette or two. It was where I got my first complete version of the Basement Tapes (4 cassettes).

I just found a few of these in a box packed away. Now I need to find a tape deck.

Beware your eyes
http://freelib.org/dylan/freelib.html

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:59 am 
tl;dr

Slightly before my time in traders' world, but man I'd have loved that.

PostPosted: Thu September 21, 2017 4:00 pm 
This could not be more in my wheelhouse.

Bob Dylan Details ‘Trouble No More – The Bootleg Series Vol. 13 / 1979-1981’
https://www.jambase.com/article/bob-dylan-details-trouble-no-bootleg-series-vol-13-1979-1981

Quote:
Columbia Records and Legacy Recordings will issue Bob Dylan – Trouble No More – The Bootleg Series Vol. 13 / 1979-1981 on Friday, November 3. The CD/DVD release features 100 previously unreleased live and studio recordings, including 14 never-before-heard Bob Dylan songs. The eight-disc audio component of Bob Dylan – Trouble No More – The Bootleg Series Vol. 13 / 1979-1981 captures a number of live recordings from 1979, 1980 and 1981. That era saw Dylan release the spiritually-inspired albums Slow Train Coming, Saved and Shot of Love.

PostPosted: Thu September 21, 2017 4:23 pm 
AnalLog

guestT wrote:

https://www.jambase.com/article/bob-dylan-details-trouble-no-bootleg-series-vol-13-1979-1981

Quote:
Columbia Records and Legacy Recordings will issue Bob Dylan – Trouble No More – The Bootleg Series Vol. 13 / 1979-1981 on Friday, November 3. The CD/DVD release features 100 previously unreleased live and studio recordings, including 14 never-before-heard Bob Dylan songs. The eight-disc audio component of Bob Dylan – Trouble No More – The Bootleg Series Vol. 13 / 1979-1981 captures a number of live recordings from 1979, 1980 and 1981. That era saw Dylan release the spiritually-inspired albums Slow Train Coming, Saved and Shot of Love.

Slow Train is what got me in the door with Dylan. It still holds up but requires more of the listener than I am normally able to give. When He Returns stops me in my tracks every time. However, I spin Shot of Love regularly and can't get enough of Solid Rock. I'm really looking forward to this release!

PostPosted: Thu September 21, 2017 4:41 pm 
Hatfield wrote:
guestT wrote:

Quote:

Slow Train is what got me in the door with Dylan. It still holds up but requires more of the listener than I am normally able to give. When He Returns stops me in my tracks every time. However, I spin Shot of Love regularly and can't get enough of Solid Rock. I'm really looking forward to this release!

I love, love, love the Christian period. Some of the songs are terrible but the musical performances are so passionate.

PostPosted: Thu September 21, 2017 4:46 pm 
AnalLog

guestT wrote:
Hatfield wrote:
guestT wrote:

Quote:

I love, love, love the Christian period. Some of the songs are terrible but the musical performances are so passionate.

and who can not love what Mark Knopfler brings to STC?!

PostPosted: Thu September 21, 2017 9:12 pm 
Future Drummer

Will they be including Bob's anti-homosexual rants from his gospel tours? That would be a real hoot. Christian love and understanding on full display.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 973 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 49  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands