The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 440 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Dylan
PostPosted: Sun February 12, 2017 7:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
A Return To Form
 Profile

Joined: Sun February 24, 2013 1:56 pm
Posts: 233
BootsToAsses wrote:
MusicStack.com is just awesome. They have so many cheap records.

I was looking though my collection and realised I don't in fact have every Dylan release! I quickly remedied this and picked up New Morning, Slow Train Coming, and Before The Flood for £3 each :D

New Morning-really soulful, even Dogs Run Free and the two closing songs that most seem to hate. Sign on the Window is one of his best.

Before The Flood-Some fans don't like it, many prefer Hard Rain. Dylan is shouting on pretty much all of this and Garth Hudson is adding some unnecessary accompaniment to the proceedings. But jesus he just pulverizes these songs. "At its best, this is the craziest and strongest rock and roll ever recorded"-Robert Christgau. I agree.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dylan
PostPosted: Mon February 13, 2017 1:02 am 
Offline
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:06 pm
Posts: 5511
"New Morning" is a top ten Dylan album for me -- joyful, pastoral, it's "Nashville Skyline" steered back towards the center, Dylan's voice at a happy medium between that album's silken croon and the more recognizable Dylan sneer of the mid-'60's. Listening to that album makes me sad for him that that marriage didn't work out.

"Before the Flood" I don't much care for -- probably my second least favorite Dylan live album behind "Dylan and the Dead." The '74 tour produced its share of fun one-offs (such as the only ever live version of "As I Went Out One Morning" and a bunch of "Planet Waves"-era tunes), but from night to night it was a supercharged, oversung mess. "Hard Rain" -- by which point he'd learned to incorporate layers of nuance and melody into the shout-singing he favored during this era -- is about a million times better.


Last edited by Kevin Davis on Mon February 13, 2017 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dylan
PostPosted: Mon February 13, 2017 1:04 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 30852
Location: Mountains
world gone wrong or gtfo


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dylan
PostPosted: Mon February 13, 2017 1:04 am 
Offline
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:06 pm
Posts: 5511
Strat wrote:
world gone wrong or gtfo


Top 10 for sure, maybe top 5.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dylan
PostPosted: Mon February 13, 2017 1:05 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 30852
Location: Mountains
Kevin Davis wrote:
Strat wrote:
world gone wrong or gtfo


Top 10 for sure, maybe top 5.

His playing on that is just fantastic.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dylan
PostPosted: Mon February 13, 2017 1:07 am 
Offline
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:06 pm
Posts: 5511
Strat wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
Strat wrote:
world gone wrong or gtfo


Top 10 for sure, maybe top 5.

His playing on that is just fantastic.


It's a flawless album for me. "Good As I Been to You" is almost as good.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dylan
PostPosted: Wed February 15, 2017 7:12 pm 
Offline
A Return To Form
 Profile

Joined: Thu June 27, 2013 2:40 pm
Posts: 128
I just got Desire, and I am having trouble getting over how good black diamond bay is. For some reason I had low expectations for the album but I've been pleasantly surprised.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dylan
PostPosted: Wed February 15, 2017 8:25 pm 
Offline
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:06 pm
Posts: 5511
"Isis," "Romance in Durango," and "Black Diamond Bay" are all-time favorites.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dylan
PostPosted: Wed February 15, 2017 9:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
A Return To Form
 Profile

Joined: Sun February 24, 2013 1:56 pm
Posts: 233
Desire-Need to listen to this more but I agree that Black Diamond Bay is great. Although I might give best song to Joey(Dylan can keep you interested on a story for 10 minutes longer than anybody)

Slow Train Coming-Precious Angel is the standout but overall it is good. Maybe the production is slicker than most are used to(in the book Down The Highway Dylan is quoted as saying he disliked the album due to this) but it fits the songs. When He Returns is powerful.

Planet Waves-Never Say Goodbye and You Angel You are nice tracks, slight as they are. Bridge?(part that begins "Grandma always said follow your heart") on Going Going Gone is special.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dylan
PostPosted: Wed February 15, 2017 9:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 30852
Location: Mountains
Empire Burlesque is great.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dylan
PostPosted: Wed February 15, 2017 9:16 pm 
Online
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Wed February 06, 2013 2:47 am
Posts: 17374
Location: Hunter
Desire and BotT are my first childhood memories. Road trips with just those two cassettes. I used to sing along with every word.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dylan
PostPosted: Wed February 15, 2017 11:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Thu February 02, 2017 10:39 am
Posts: 1052
Location: Most likely at the office...
Maybe not my first childhood memories, but I know what you are saying there 'sleep. I remember those 2 and Infidels all getting lots of play around me as a kid. To this day those albums still give me a secure, nostalgic feeling like almost no others.

:)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dylan
PostPosted: Wed March 29, 2017 3:09 am 
Online
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Wed February 06, 2013 2:47 am
Posts: 17374
Location: Hunter
http://bobdylan.com/news/qa-with-bill-flanagan/

Pretty interesting read here, bob-folk.

Quote:
“Make You Feel my Love” has become a new standard – it’s been covered by Adele, Garth Brooks, Billy Joel. Any version that knocked you out?

Yeah, one after the other, they all did.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dylan
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:20 am 
Online
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Wed February 06, 2013 2:47 am
Posts: 17374
Location: Hunter
Did anyone else use the Unofficial Bob Dylan Bootleg Tape Library. Simon did a stellar job. It was always a treat to get back a cassette or two. It was where I got my first complete version of the Basement Tapes (4 cassettes).

I just found a few of these in a box packed away. Now I need to find a tape deck.

Image

Beware your eyes
http://freelib.org/dylan/freelib.html


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dylan
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:59 am 
Offline
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:06 pm
Posts: 5511
Slightly before my time in traders' world, but man I'd have loved that.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dylan
PostPosted: Thu September 21, 2017 4:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Wed September 14, 2016 5:07 pm
Posts: 712
Location: WI
This could not be more in my wheelhouse.

Bob Dylan Details ‘Trouble No More – The Bootleg Series Vol. 13 / 1979-1981’
https://www.jambase.com/article/bob-dylan-details-trouble-no-bootleg-series-vol-13-1979-1981

Quote:
Columbia Records and Legacy Recordings will issue Bob Dylan – Trouble No More – The Bootleg Series Vol. 13 / 1979-1981 on Friday, November 3. The CD/DVD release features 100 previously unreleased live and studio recordings, including 14 never-before-heard Bob Dylan songs. The eight-disc audio component of Bob Dylan – Trouble No More – The Bootleg Series Vol. 13 / 1979-1981 captures a number of live recordings from 1979, 1980 and 1981. That era saw Dylan release the spiritually-inspired albums Slow Train Coming, Saved and Shot of Love.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dylan
PostPosted: Thu September 21, 2017 4:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Fri January 04, 2013 8:54 pm
Posts: 567
tmcs wrote:
This could not be more in my wheelhouse.

Bob Dylan Details ‘Trouble No More – The Bootleg Series Vol. 13 / 1979-1981’
https://www.jambase.com/article/bob-dylan-details-trouble-no-bootleg-series-vol-13-1979-1981

Quote:
Columbia Records and Legacy Recordings will issue Bob Dylan – Trouble No More – The Bootleg Series Vol. 13 / 1979-1981 on Friday, November 3. The CD/DVD release features 100 previously unreleased live and studio recordings, including 14 never-before-heard Bob Dylan songs. The eight-disc audio component of Bob Dylan – Trouble No More – The Bootleg Series Vol. 13 / 1979-1981 captures a number of live recordings from 1979, 1980 and 1981. That era saw Dylan release the spiritually-inspired albums Slow Train Coming, Saved and Shot of Love.


Slow Train is what got me in the door with Dylan. It still holds up but requires more of the listener than I am normally able to give. When He Returns stops me in my tracks every time. However, I spin Shot of Love regularly and can't get enough of Solid Rock. I'm really looking forward to this release!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dylan
PostPosted: Thu September 21, 2017 4:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Wed September 14, 2016 5:07 pm
Posts: 712
Location: WI
Hatfield wrote:
tmcs wrote:
This could not be more in my wheelhouse.

Bob Dylan Details ‘Trouble No More – The Bootleg Series Vol. 13 / 1979-1981’
https://www.jambase.com/article/bob-dylan-details-trouble-no-bootleg-series-vol-13-1979-1981

Quote:
Columbia Records and Legacy Recordings will issue Bob Dylan – Trouble No More – The Bootleg Series Vol. 13 / 1979-1981 on Friday, November 3. The CD/DVD release features 100 previously unreleased live and studio recordings, including 14 never-before-heard Bob Dylan songs. The eight-disc audio component of Bob Dylan – Trouble No More – The Bootleg Series Vol. 13 / 1979-1981 captures a number of live recordings from 1979, 1980 and 1981. That era saw Dylan release the spiritually-inspired albums Slow Train Coming, Saved and Shot of Love.


Slow Train is what got me in the door with Dylan. It still holds up but requires more of the listener than I am normally able to give. When He Returns stops me in my tracks every time. However, I spin Shot of Love regularly and can't get enough of Solid Rock. I'm really looking forward to this release!


I love, love, love the Christian period. Some of the songs are terrible but the musical performances are so passionate.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dylan
PostPosted: Thu September 21, 2017 4:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Fri January 04, 2013 8:54 pm
Posts: 567
tmcs wrote:
Hatfield wrote:
tmcs wrote:
This could not be more in my wheelhouse.

Bob Dylan Details ‘Trouble No More – The Bootleg Series Vol. 13 / 1979-1981’
https://www.jambase.com/article/bob-dylan-details-trouble-no-bootleg-series-vol-13-1979-1981

Quote:
Columbia Records and Legacy Recordings will issue Bob Dylan – Trouble No More – The Bootleg Series Vol. 13 / 1979-1981 on Friday, November 3. The CD/DVD release features 100 previously unreleased live and studio recordings, including 14 never-before-heard Bob Dylan songs. The eight-disc audio component of Bob Dylan – Trouble No More – The Bootleg Series Vol. 13 / 1979-1981 captures a number of live recordings from 1979, 1980 and 1981. That era saw Dylan release the spiritually-inspired albums Slow Train Coming, Saved and Shot of Love.


Slow Train is what got me in the door with Dylan. It still holds up but requires more of the listener than I am normally able to give. When He Returns stops me in my tracks every time. However, I spin Shot of Love regularly and can't get enough of Solid Rock. I'm really looking forward to this release!


I love, love, love the Christian period. Some of the songs are terrible but the musical performances are so passionate.


and who can not love what Mark Knopfler brings to STC?!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dylan
PostPosted: Thu September 21, 2017 9:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 9:37 am
Posts: 1921
Will they be including Bob's anti-homosexual rants from his gospel tours? That would be a real hoot. Christian love and understanding on full display.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 440 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Fri November 24, 2017 1:32 am