The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 973 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 49  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dylan
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:49 am 
Future Drummer

red calzolaio wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
red calzolaio wrote:
My Morning Jacket touring with Dylan?

:P

And wilco

Its a traveling festival, i think we are going to check it out either in va beach or at the merryweather in Maryland

what's a 'wilco'?

for some reason i want to connect it with that trendy album 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot' back in the day.

ask your dad.

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:17 pm 
AnalLog

Just finished Chronicles and it was fantastic. His memory is amazing and how he lets one thought lead him to another and then bring it all back together was astounding. I was especially glad to see him talk about the Oh Mercy period. Check it out if you haven't.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:36 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Hatfield wrote:
Just finished Chronicles and it was fantastic. His memory is amazing and how he lets one thought lead him to another and then bring it all back together was astounding. I was especially glad to see him talk about the Oh Mercy period. Check it out if you haven't.

It's a wonderful book. Re-read it a couple of months ago. Apparently Chronicles II is due out this year. http://www.uncut.co.uk/bob-dylan/bob-dylan-begins-chronicles-vol-2-news

There are also a couple more Bootleg series due to come out - the first one is from Self Portrait (series 10) and the record day release of Duquesne whistle was accompanied by the text "B-side is a previously unreleased version of Meet Me In The Morning from the Blood on the Tracks sessions and is a forthcoming track from The Bootleg Series Volume 11".

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:43 pm 

Dylan's voice was so great in the 1970s. I need to find more live shit...Rolling Thunder Revue is just fantastic; can listen to that thing all the way through on a roadtrip no problem.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:52 pm 
tl;dr

I'm stoked about these new Bootleg Series. So far the Bootleg Series has been very 1960's heavy, which is understandable, but it leaves so much great stuff untapped. That Self Portrait-era voice is one of my favorite Dylan voices, and I know there is a wealth of outtake material yet to be released from that time.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:40 pm 

Kevin Davis wrote:
I'm stoked about these new Bootleg Series. So far the Bootleg Series has been very 1960's heavy, which is understandable, but it leaves so much great stuff untapped. That Self Portrait-era voice is one of my favorite Dylan voices, and I know there is a wealth of outtake material yet to be released from that time.

There aren't enough days in the average life expectancy to properly explore Dylan's vast amount of works.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:07 am 
AnalLog

super nintendo chalmers wrote:
red calzolaio wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
red calzolaio wrote:

And wilco

Its a traveling festival, i think we are going to check it out either in va beach or at the merryweather in Maryland

what's a 'wilco'?

for some reason i want to connect it with that trendy album 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot' back in the day.

ask your dad.

i don't get this.

my dad is way too cool to know what this would mean.

thanks though.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:23 am 
Posting (live)

Kevin Davis wrote:

Plus there's the Cash Sessions (I've got a rough copy of that), the real complete basement sessions (another rough copy) and there's some amazing christian era gigs that need to be released. Paul Williams raved about one in particular which I've never heard. Plus a NET boxset would be good.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:57 pm 
tl;dr

This is my favorite outtake from that era, I hope it makes the cut:

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:00 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

red calzolaio wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
red calzolaio wrote:

And wilco

what's a 'wilco'?

Great album and an amazing live band, can't wait to see them again

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:46 am 
AnalLog

Kevin Davis wrote:

Is Self Portrait one of the albums Dylan talks about trying to suck intentionally to bring down some of the heat surrounding him?

Not much live stuff from this time? These will be mostly studio you think?

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:52 am 
Gone

Should I see this guy live? Hes playing with Wilco and My Morning Jacket in Peoria July 11.....

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:38 am 
Posting (live)

verb_to_trust wrote:
Should I see this guy live? Hes playing with Wilco and My Morning Jacket in Peoria July 11.....

Stop asking stupid questions. Buy a ticket.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:02 pm 
tl;dr

Hatfield wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

Is Self Portrait one of the albums Dylan talks about trying to suck intentionally to bring down some of the heat surrounding him?

Not much live stuff from this time? These will be mostly studio you think?

Yeah, most definitely. There were very few live shows from this era. I think the only one of note was the 1969 Isle of Wight festival, and a few of those tracks were actually released *on* "Self Portrait." I'd like to hear them in better sound quality but it's not generally regarded as his finest hour as a performer.

I think Dylan has made some comments to the effect of the above about "Self Portrait," and it definitely had the desired effect--I know a handful of old-time fans who loved Dylan through the 1960's and were scared off by "Nashville Skyline" and "Self Portrait," and didn't come back around until "Blood on the Tracks." I can definitely see how it would have been a jarring record to someone expecting "Blonde on Blonde," but with the benefit of hindsight I think it's a wonderful record with some great vocal performances. I'm happy he made it.

I can't find his cover of Gordon Lightfoot's "Early Morning Rain," which is probably my favorite track on the album.

verb_to_trust wrote:

I'll be at that one!

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:58 pm 
Gone

red calzolaio wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
red calzolaio wrote:

And wilco

what's a 'wilco'?

That album wasn't so much trendy as it was universally considered one of the best albums of the 00's.....but I see what you did there.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:16 pm 
Poster of the Year

LetMeSleep wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

Stop asking stupid questions. Buy a ticket.

Seriously.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:36 pm 
Gone

Guys, I bought a ticket.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:38 pm 
Poster of the Year

:hooray:

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:40 am 
AnalLog

verb_to_trust wrote:
Guys, I bought a ticket.

Thank God.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:59 am 
Posting (live)

verb_to_trust wrote:
Guys, I bought a ticket.

Phew. Thank fuck for that. I await your report.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 973 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 49  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands