The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 973 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 49  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dylan
PostPosted: Sun July 21, 2019 10:04 am 
Future Drummer

i got bugs wrote:
What are some highlights of the boxed set??

I just dled, but 14 discs worth of stuff is kinda overwhelming

My own mix, centered around the versions that appeared in "Renaldo & Clara"....

101 Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You (Montreal)
102 A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall (Montreal)
103 It Ain't Me Babe (Cambridge)
104 The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carrol (Montreal)
105 It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry (Boston 2)
106 Romance In Durango (Montreal)
107 Isis (Montreal)
108 Blowin' In The Wind (Cambridge)
109 Never Let Me Go (Montreal)
110 Mr. Tambourine Man (Boston 1)
111 It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (Montreal)
112 Love Minus Zero-No Limit (Montreal)
201 Simple Twist Of Fate (Cambridge)
202 I Don't Believe You (Boston 2)
203 Tangled Up In Blue (Boston 2)
204 Oh Sister (Boston 2)
205 Hurricane (Worcester)
206 One More Cup Of Coffee (Montreal)
207 Sara (Montreal)
208 Just Like A Woman (Cambridge)
209 Knockin' On Heaven's Door (Cambridge)
210 People Get Ready (SIR Rehearsal)

PostPosted: Thu July 25, 2019 3:07 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

So today is the anniversary of the electric concert.

Quote:
Folk music icon plugs in at Newport

Bob Dylan feels like changing things up at the premier showcase of his musical genre, the Newport Folk Festival. The 24-year-old takes the stage with an electric guitar and a rock band, and as an amplified version of 'Maggie's Farm' blasts out, popular music is changed forever.
I don't really know why it 'changed music forever'. Is there a book (or KD post ;) ) that explains the thing?

PostPosted: Thu July 25, 2019 5:09 pm 
The Master

bune wrote:

Quote:

Bob Dylan feels like changing things up at the premier showcase of his musical genre, the Newport Folk Festival. The 24-year-old takes the stage with an electric guitar and a rock band, and as an amplified version of 'Maggie's Farm' blasts out, popular music is changed forever.
I don't really know why it 'changed music forever'. Is there a book (or KD post ;) ) that explains the thing?

I can't wait till KD expands on it! But i think it was maybe one of the first times Rock n Roll became something more than singing about girls and heartbreak with sugary pop melodies. The folk star plugged and demanded the world pay attention to something a little deeper within the bounds of an electrified band.

PostPosted: Thu July 25, 2019 8:03 pm 
AnalLog

Just finished up Robbie Robertson's autobiography "Testimony". It's amazing to have his perspective on working with Dylan during this period, Big Pink and beyond. It sounds like Dylan trusted Robbie right from the start and got as much out of the relationship as Robbie did. A good read.

PostPosted: Thu July 25, 2019 8:18 pm 
Posting (live)

Bune, there's a doco about it called The Other Side Of The Mirror. It's worth a watch.

PostPosted: Thu July 25, 2019 9:27 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

:thumbsup: Will do.

PostPosted: Fri July 26, 2019 4:02 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Hatfield wrote:
Just finished up Robbie Robertson's autobiography "Testimony". It's amazing to have his perspective on working with Dylan during this period, Big Pink and beyond. It sounds like Dylan trusted Robbie right from the start and got as much out of the relationship as Robbie did. A good read.

I believe Dylan said Robertson was the only electric guitarist whose sound didn't make him feel sick.

PostPosted: Sat July 27, 2019 2:43 am 
tl;dr

bune wrote:

Quote:

Aw, you guys are so kind. There are some films that cover the topic in detail -- Scorcese's "No Direction Home," and "The Other Side of the Mirror," and extensive writing on it in most comprehensive Dylan bios. Here are some quick web links on it too:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_ ... ontroversy
https://time.com/3968092/bob-dylan-electric-newport/

My own take on it is that, like all of these "shot heard 'round the world"-type moments in Dylan's acoustic-to-electric transition -- the release of "Subterranean Homesick Blues," the 1966 'Judas' incident, etc. -- there is probably some hyperbole and myth-making to the Newport concert that overstates its singular impact. I definitely think Dylan's embrace of electric instruments had a big impact on the development of not only rock but folk music, but I'm inclined to feel like that was ultimately of a result of other musicians hearing and living with records like "Bringing It All Back Home" and "Highway 61," hearing all the promise in them and wanting to make their own version of this exciting new thing (or at least cop it for a quick buck), more than I tend to go for the idea that he played one 20-minute concert and then suddenly the world as we know it was never the same again. Like Ray Charles doing country songs or Miles Davis doing "In a Silent Way" and "Bitches Brew," it's just one of those moments that showed people how many similarities there are, how much compatibility there is, between forms of music that on the surface would otherwise appear very disparate. It was a milestone along the path towards "uncategorizable" music, with an accelerated focus on the artist's singular voice and personality and character, as opposed to more conventional metrics for musicianship and songcraft.

I do think it's a great concert, in any case, especially the "Maggie's Farm.'' There are a lot of viewpoints on the actual music itself, ranging from "transcendent" to "a noisy mess." I think there's something wide-eyed, raw, and adventurous about it that is irresistible, something that has dissipated somewhat even by the time of the 1966 tour. It's clear that the concept is just so far ahead of the execution -- it's usually a compliment to say that an artist is "in command" of their art; this feels like the opposite to me, the art in command of the artists. Pure lightning in a bottle.

PostPosted: Sat July 27, 2019 3:59 am 
Mind Your Tanners

very cool, thanks for the start.

PostPosted: Thu August 29, 2019 4:04 pm 
Major Dude

Any good books on Dylan?

PostPosted: Thu August 29, 2019 4:50 pm 
AnalLog

wease wrote:
Any good books on Dylan?

Have you read Chronicles? I thoroughly enjoyed it. Dylan's writing is wonderful to read.

The only biography I've read is "Down the Highway" and it was very well done. Sounes uses many interviews with people from Dylan's life to paint a full picture.

PostPosted: Thu August 29, 2019 6:35 pm 

I agree that Down The Highway is pretty good, too gossipy for some but it goes through his whole career. I've also seen Heylin's Behind The Shades recommended, haven't checked it out yet.

I've come back to Chronicles over and over. Hearing Dylan talk about the songs that inspired his younger self was really interesting.

PostPosted: Fri August 30, 2019 12:04 am 
Major Dude

Thanks, fellas.

PostPosted: Fri August 30, 2019 11:27 am 
Posting (live)

I’ve read about 15-20 Dylan books so I might be able to help. What sort of book are you after? A biography or maybe interviews with people along the way? Maybe a study into a song, an album, a tour or maybe his live performances? Maybe a look into his recording methods? Or maybe just essays and articles from the past 60 years.

PostPosted: Fri August 30, 2019 6:19 pm 
Major Dude

Biography mainly, but one that speaks of song studies would be interesting, too.

PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2019 10:01 am 

wease wrote:
Any good books on Dylan?

I still haven't finished Chronicles despite starting it about 2 years ago :?

I recently finished "Why Dylan Matters" by Richard Thomas and thought it was excellent. It delves into links between Dylan and ancient Roman poets, and discusses how Dylan seemingly transfigures into those poets in his later records. Fascinating stuff!

I am about to start "The True Performing Of It: Dylan & Shakespeare" that I've heard good things about.

PostPosted: Thu September 19, 2019 6:43 pm 
Future Drummer

Had no idea this existed, curious what the ticket prices are going to be having not seen a Broadway show in decades.

PostPosted: Thu September 19, 2019 8:02 pm 

oasisfan35 wrote:
Had no idea this existed, curious what the ticket prices are going to be having not seen a Broadway show in decades.

I saw this two years ago in London at the Old Vic. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but it was between seeing this or seeing Tom Petty at Hyde Park that weekend. I should've gone with the TP show, seeing as he passed soon after :cry:

But anyway, it's a great production and most of the song choices are on point.

In other news, the Dylan camp announced another Bootleg Series today! :hooray: :hooray:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Travelin-Thru-1967-1969-Bootleg-V-15/dp/B07XGSC34X/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=bob+dylan+bootleg+series+15&qid=1568923255&s=gateway&sr=8-1

PostPosted: Thu September 19, 2019 8:14 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

well, i just pre ordered that on vinyl...

PostPosted: Thu September 19, 2019 8:40 pm 

doug rr wrote:
well, i just pre ordered that on vinyl...

So did I :D :D :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 973 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 49  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands