Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus - A Tom Petty Thread

Fri January 20, 2017 12:58 pm

Strat wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:For example, they never actually say what killed Howie.

This is pretty common knowledge though. At least for anyone who is going to watch a 4 hour tom petty doc.

I'm going to watch it, yet I don't know what happened to Howie.

Fri January 20, 2017 2:08 pm

Strat wrote:

This is pretty common knowledge though. At least for anyone who is going to watch a 4 hour tom petty doc.

Doesn't that just make it a more glaring omission? (For the record, I don't know. I'm not all that familiar with Petty; a four-hour doc should inform the viewer!)

Fri January 20, 2017 2:37 pm

did they really not mention heroin in the doc? i didn't know anything about epstein before i watched it and somehow that factoid is in my head. maybe i googled it.

petty was very reluctant to let zaynes talk about his heroin addiction in the book. he was worried it would come across like he was glamorizing it. could be why they kept it out of the movie.

the eagles and petty docs are very similar in format, tone and scope, biggest difference is frey and henley are colossal dicks totally lacking in self awareness, where petty seems like a gracious, grounded dude. the post-hell freezes over half of the eagles doc is nonstop unintentional hilarity.

Fri January 20, 2017 2:37 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:

Doesn't that just make it a more glaring omission? (For the record, I don't know. I'm not all that familiar with Petty; a four-hour doc should inform the viewer!)

I'm very excited about watching this documentary and I don't even know who the fuck Howie is. But thanks for spoiling that he dies.

Fri January 20, 2017 4:33 pm

I was at the dump a few minutes ago and a guy pulls up absolutely blasting Runnin Down A Dream into Free Falling. I must be meant to watch that today.

Fri January 20, 2017 5:03 pm

guestT wrote:did they really not mention heroin in the doc? i didn't know anything about epstein before i watched it and somehow that factoid is in my head. maybe i googled it.

petty was very reluctant to let zaynes talk about his heroin addiction in the book. he was worried it would come across like he was glamorizing it. could be why they kept it out of the movie.

the eagles and petty docs are very similar in format, tone and scope, biggest difference is frey and henley are colossal dicks totally lacking in self awareness, where petty seems like a gracious, grounded dude. the post-hell freezes over half of the eagles doc is nonstop unintentional hilarity.

Yeah its hard to know if the Eagles get credit for showing what dicks they are or if they are unaware that they are dicks. I think Glenn knew and embraced it I think Henley doesn't realize it.

Fri January 20, 2017 5:05 pm

The word heroin was used exactly once in the documentary, IIRC.

Fri January 20, 2017 6:01 pm

I love this documentary. Also, it is made abundantly clear what happened to Howie. Sure, Tom doesn't say "Howie was injecting one morning and took too much and permanently fucked himself up leading to immediate death". But, drug addiction is totally talked about and once you watch it you know he absolutely died from the drugs. It's pretty clear.

Fri January 20, 2017 6:10 pm

Ha! Ed and Dave Grohl right at the beginning.

BTW, Steve Ferrone is the most underrated drummer in the world.

Fri January 20, 2017 6:16 pm

wease wrote:Ha! Ed and Dave Grohl right at the beginning.

Too right he is. Sits beautifully behind the beat.

Fri January 20, 2017 6:23 pm

Wow. Mudcrutch recorded Don't Do Me Like That. Had no idea that tune went back that far.

Fri January 20, 2017 6:23 pm

LetMeSleep wrote:
wease wrote:Ha! Ed and Dave Grohl right at the beginning.

Too right he is. Sits beautifully behind the beat.

He just seeps groove. God, I love him.

Fri January 20, 2017 6:25 pm

BootsToAsses wrote:I love this documentary. Also, it is made abundantly clear what happened to Howie. Sure, Tom doesn't say "Howie was injecting one morning and took too much and permanently fucked himself up leading to immediate death". But, drug addiction is totally talked about and once you watch it you know he absolutely died from the drugs. It's pretty clear.

You get no sense that anyone in the band has a serious drug problem until Howie is on death's door. It just comes out of nowhere. And they don't say what the problem is, for all we know watching the doc he drank himself to death.

Fri January 20, 2017 6:32 pm

i guess i figured most petty fans always knew howie had a big problem

Fri January 20, 2017 6:35 pm

If it's going to assume the viewer already knows these things why make it a surface level documentary? If you're just going to tell the basic story you'd think it would be designed for people who might know the greatest hits but not know much more than that, especially not the narrative of the band's history.

Fri January 20, 2017 11:12 pm

Ok, I'm taking the plunge. Getting his whole catalogue. I'll be going album to album over the next few weeks.

Sun January 22, 2017 3:25 am

Asked for the book for my birthday.

Sun January 22, 2017 4:13 am

last night i listened to 8 different live versions of runnin' down a dream

Sun January 22, 2017 4:14 am

Which was your favorite?

Sun January 22, 2017 4:29 am

wease wrote:Which was your favorite?