The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 651 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus - A Tom Petty Thread
PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2019 9:53 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 7:55 pm
Posts: 2654
Full Moon Fever - truly a classic Tom Petty album. It’s nearly perfect (zombie zoo could be better, unless we are talking about a Halloween metaphor playlist). As noted above, the 80s flourishes bring down Let Me Up but somehow work perfectly on this album. As good as his many of his albums with the Heartbreakers were, his solo output is Tom Petty at his best.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus - A Tom Petty Thread
PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2019 10:53 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 7:55 pm
Posts: 2654
Into the Great Wide Open - the hit train keeps rolling along. There’s a solo rendition of Learning to Fly I think on the Live Anthology that is amazing, but nearly everything again is fantastic. I tend to divide his catalogue into before the Greatest Hits and after, mostly because I played that disc to death and still often do. It’s a nearly spotless start to his amazing career each of these albums.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus - A Tom Petty Thread
PostPosted: Tue September 17, 2019 1:10 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 7:55 pm
Posts: 2654
Wildflowers - this could be a biased set of remarks based in part on my familiarity with this album, but I am convinced it is far and away his best work, and personally probably ranks in my top 5 all time favorite albums. Every song is incredible and takes in such a range of weight, from the heavy to the lighthearted with such ease and seamlessness that you could lose what so special about each song without a closer listen.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus - A Tom Petty Thread
PostPosted: Tue September 17, 2019 9:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Major Dude
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 1:57 pm
Posts: 24044
Location: Where everybody knows your name
Just found out a Tom Petty tribute band is playing here in town Friday night. If i didn’t have to work, I’d go.

_________________
Let me tell you, Homer Simpson is cock of nothing!
- C. Montgomery Burns


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus - A Tom Petty Thread
PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 12:26 am 
Offline
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 30327
Location: the beach
one of my favorite facts that you guys probably know but i love it...mike campbell wrote The boys of summer and gave it to tom to record..he passed on it because he felt it didn't fit on southern accents that they were working on at the time so he gave it don henley...that song is one of all time favorites..


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus - A Tom Petty Thread
PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 12:41 am 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:53 pm
Posts: 11188
I did not know that.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus - A Tom Petty Thread
PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 2:06 am 
Offline
User avatar
Major Dude
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 1:57 pm
Posts: 24044
Location: Where everybody knows your name
Me neither.

_________________
Let me tell you, Homer Simpson is cock of nothing!
- C. Montgomery Burns


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus - A Tom Petty Thread
PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 12:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:07 pm
Posts: 1941
doug rr wrote:
one of my favorite facts that you guys probably know but i love it...mike campbell wrote The boys of summer and gave it to tom to record..he passed on it because he felt it didn't fit on southern accents that they were working on at the time so he gave it don henley...that song is one of all time favorites..

Jimmy Iovine for the win.

_________________
absinthe makes the heart grow fonder...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus - A Tom Petty Thread
PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 1:31 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 7:55 pm
Posts: 2654
I read that in Tom Petty’s biography and then forgot about it.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus - A Tom Petty Thread
PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 1:35 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 7:55 pm
Posts: 2654
She’s the One - this was always one of the more fun releases from them in my mind. There seems to be no real pressure on them and they seem to be having a good time with this soundtrack and the results are really good. Multiple versions of Walls and Angel are all quality, and there’s some real good stuff in there like Climb That Hill and Grew Up Fast. And even songs that seem like pure fun like Zero From Outer Space just work. Certainly feels like the happy bubble that surely bursts with the somber Echo soon on its way...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus - A Tom Petty Thread
PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 1:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 43431
Location: Mountains
liebzz wrote:
She’s the One - this was always one of the more fun releases from them in my mind. There seems to be no real pressure on them and they seem to be having a good time with this soundtrack and the results are really good. Multiple versions of Walls and Angel are all quality, and there’s some real good stuff in there like Climb That Hill and Grew Up Fast. And even songs that seem like pure fun like Zero From Outer Space just work. Certainly feels like the happy bubble that surely bursts with the somber Echo soon on its way...

This is one of my favorites to be honest


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus - A Tom Petty Thread
PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 2:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:53 pm
Posts: 11188
California is one of my fav tracks by him. It makes me feel good.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus - A Tom Petty Thread
PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 3:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Calibrating
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 84138
Location: everybody needs to stop bragging about their mountains
liebzz wrote:
Wildflowers - this could be a biased set of remarks based in part on my familiarity with this album, but I am convinced it is far and away his best work, and personally probably ranks in my top 5 all time favorite albums. Every song is incredible and takes in such a range of weight, from the heavy to the lighthearted with such ease and seamlessness that you could lose what so special about each song without a closer listen.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus - A Tom Petty Thread
PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 5:15 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 7:55 pm
Posts: 2654
bada wrote:
California is one of my fav tracks by him. It makes me feel good.

Hope it don’t fall into the sea.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus - A Tom Petty Thread
PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 5:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 38228
Location: Different mountains than strat and bodysnatcher.
As someone who's been perfectly happy with just the Greatest Hits, Wildflowers, Damn the Torpedoes, and Full Moon Fever, is there anything in the discography that could be called "Tom's experimental album"?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus - A Tom Petty Thread
PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 5:18 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 7:55 pm
Posts: 2654
durdencommatyler wrote:
liebzz wrote:
Wildflowers - this could be a biased set of remarks based in part on my familiarity with this album, but I am convinced it is far and away his best work, and personally probably ranks in my top 5 all time favorite albums. Every song is incredible and takes in such a range of weight, from the heavy to the lighthearted with such ease and seamlessness that you could lose what so special about each song without a closer listen.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:


Yeah, I could pretty much sum up my taste in music by telling someone to go play this album and see me in the morning.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus - A Tom Petty Thread
PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 5:23 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 7:55 pm
Posts: 2654
tragabigzanda wrote:
As someone who's been perfectly happy with just the Greatest Hits, Wildflowers, Damn the Torpedoes, and Full Moon Fever, is there anything in the discography that could be called "Tom's experimental album"?


I would say She’s the One they play around with their sound quite a bit, The Last DJ is kind of all over the place, Echo is Tom Petty at his saddest and there’s some different and gloomy stuff there. Mojo is experimental for them in that they sound like a bar band taking on blues rock and it doesn’t sound like the rest of their catalogue. Their self-titled debut contains a sort of stylistic range that goes beyond those late 70s and 80s albums. You’ll never find them really doing anything avant- garde or way out of the box, but they certainly tinkered with their sound over the years enough to keep it interesting.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus - A Tom Petty Thread
PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 5:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 38228
Location: Different mountains than strat and bodysnatcher.
liebzz wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
As someone who's been perfectly happy with just the Greatest Hits, Wildflowers, Damn the Torpedoes, and Full Moon Fever, is there anything in the discography that could be called "Tom's experimental album"?


I would say She’s the One they play around with their sound quite a bit, The Last DJ is kind of all over the place, Echo is Tom Petty at his saddest and there’s some different and gloomy stuff there. Mojo is experimental for them in that they sound like a bar band taking on blues rock and it doesn’t sound like the rest of their catalogue. Their self-titled debut contains a sort of stylistic range that goes beyond those late 70s and 80s albums. You’ll never find them really doing anything avant- garde or way out of the box, but they certainly tinkered with their sound over the years enough to keep it interesting.

:thumbsup: I'll give Echo a try, thanks liebzz


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus - A Tom Petty Thread
PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 5:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 64328
I still can't believe I lost to doug in the finals of the Tom Petty song tourney.

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus - A Tom Petty Thread
PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 5:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:53 pm
Posts: 11188
liebzz wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
As someone who's been perfectly happy with just the Greatest Hits, Wildflowers, Damn the Torpedoes, and Full Moon Fever, is there anything in the discography that could be called "Tom's experimental album"?


I would say She’s the One they play around with their sound quite a bit, The Last DJ is kind of all over the place, Echo is Tom Petty at his saddest and there’s some different and gloomy stuff there. Mojo is experimental for them in that they sound like a bar band taking on blues rock and it doesn’t sound like the rest of their catalogue. Their self-titled debut contains a sort of stylistic range that goes beyond those late 70s and 80s albums. You’ll never find them really doing anything avant- garde or way out of the box, but they certainly tinkered with their sound over the years enough to keep it interesting.


Don't Come Around Here No More is pretty out there if you think about it.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 651 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kevin Davis, Tim and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Sat September 19, 2020 11:43 am